1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just had a weird conversation with my father

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Ralphtruco, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Ralphtruco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    (well just its two days ago but i was gonna publish it that day but anyway xD)
    It went something like this (we where talking about i dont like my brothers new girlfriend)
    and then the thing that impacted me was this "you can bring your boyfriend if u had one"
    (funny thing is, that in my language, girlfriend and boyfriend sound very similar, and when he said it there was also a lot of noise, so i dont know...but i think he said that)
    Also afterward he said "I wouldnt like to find out about my son doing something that i dont know of from other person"
    i guess its pretty obvious...but i guess he already knows right?

2. revolutionrock

It definitely sounds promising. :slight_smile:

3. Ralphtruco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Promising? in what way :confused:

4. revolutionrock

It sounds like he has an idea and would be accepting if you confirmed it.

I'm assuming, of course, but this tidbit does suggest that. :slight_smile:

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like he wants to know. Is there a reason you haven't told him?

Lex

6. Ralphtruco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The main reason xD i dont know ... most parents would react bad o.o and he once compared being gay to being a drug user
    But still this still can be just something i miss-read given that the conversation started with a "and when are u bringin a GIRLfriend home?" that time im sure he sayed novia (girlfriend) instead of novio (boyfriend)

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the last part (I wouldn't want to find something...) is a pretty strong indicator, combined with the possible novia vs novio thing, that he likely knows. I think you're probably ok to tell him :slight_smile:

8. Ralphtruco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    But But u_u i dont know maybe im just making a big deal of something that it isnt ._.
    other reason i dont want to do it is that, at least in my country in a 70% of the cases
    coming out to ur parents = sometimiento (its a coloquial word from here xD i dont know how to translate it, but its when ur parent, or someone doenst let u do ANYTHING, in this case would mean that they would let me go out especially if its guys)
    And what would be a good way to do it? i have know that a lot of people here do it trough a letter... but idk i dont think that would work ._.

9. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

Sometimes it seems that people say these things because they don't know anyone who is gay. Case in point, I grew up in a mildly homophobic community and I believed these things (choosing to neglect the fact that I was gay) until I actually met someone who was gay, not until I was 19, and all my stereotypes quickly blew out the window.

10. Holmes

I think if your concern is a general lack of acceptance of homosexuality, then a letter mightn't be a good idea. Once you decide it's the day to tell them, when you finish dinner, you should say, "There's something I should talk to you about". Be prepared for any questions they might have there and then. If you leave a letter, you'd be less prepared for it if they do have questions.

Don't forget, they're going to find out sometime, so it would be better for your relations with them for it to be from you, and sooner rather than later, so they don't think you were hiding it from them for too long.

11. Ralphtruco

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Wait wait xD? i dint understand in the end... is the letter a good idea or not? o.o?