1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Time

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Notreallysure, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Notreallysure

I'm about to write something for the first time to all of you, and probably to myself as well. I'm gay. I've come here searching for answers and I guess support. I'm completely confused about how I feel. It's relieving, yet scary, to admit this, even if it is to complete strangers. I think I've been working toward this for years. I'm trying to stay anonymous and tonight I've been creating new e-mails and accounts and all to do this. I have to for now while I'm still trying to find myself, as cliche as that probably sounds. I'd really appreciate comments and support because as of right now, you are all I have, whoever you are.

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC, and congratulations on taking this first step (*hug*) I think coming out to yourself is about the hardest thing relating to your sexuality that you'll ever have to do, so you're past the worst :slight_smile:

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Welcome to EC! :wave:

The fact is - you're doing something all of us have done (or are in the process of doing) at some point in our lives. Realizing we have a non-straight sexuality, coming to grips with it, admitting it to ourselves, and letting others know. For some, this happens early in life, and for others, it happens later. Some go through it all in a day, some take weeks, months, years, decades. But at the end of the line is acceptance. Knowing you're gay (or bi, or whatever), and being cool with it. And it's an amazing thing. :slight_smile:

Let us know how else we can help. That's what we're here for.

Lex

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First off: Congratulations!!!! You have just come out. :slight_smile:

You have just taken a huge step, which will help you in becoming more comfortable with yourself. Take a deep breath, and tell yourself: I DID IT!

As you have mentioned, you still have feelings that leave you confused at times and things don't make as much sense or feel foreign to you. But not to worry. Time is your friend! Over time your feelings will become clearer and things will fall into place.

Maybe what could help is trying to talk to a counselor, perhaps at school, about your feelings. Having someone to talk to in real life, can really help in making things clearer and becoming more comfortable. That's what I did at first, and in fact, the first person I came out to was a counselor! :slight_smile:

Talk to EC members and I'm sure you will find a few more answers.

As Lex mentioned, let us know how we can help you. We are all here for you. (*hug*)

Welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

5. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all: congratulations! Coming to the realisation that you’re gay is a pretty monumental step.
    Even if writing “I’m gay” seems like a very simple act, it is already the end of a big journey. I took me well over ten years before I ever got to the point where I could even just write it, and ten years is by no means the longest I’ve heard.

That sense of relief you’re feeling is a good sign: it shows that you found an answer that you feel is right, even if you’re not entirely comfortable with it yet.

As for what to do now: it’s really up to you to decide what you want to do. It might take you some time to really be comfortable with it and accepting it. I know that I spent the first few months after realising I was gay doing nothing much about it at all. Not actively at least. I lurked around on sites like these and read more stories of people going through the same thing. I wondered about who I would tell. And I gradually found that telling myself “I’m gay” became easier and feeling less and less like insulting myself. Accepting myself more and going in well-prepared helped me a lot when I came out to other people later on.

But that’s how I did it. The thing about being gay, coming out and discovering this aspect of you is not bound to a timetable. It’s not a race to do it the fastest, but if you feel like doing it fast, there’s nothing wrong about that either.

As the others have said, it’s probably best if you look around here and ask questions. “I’m gay, what should I do” is pretty broad to answer without some more background sometimes. And every one of us might relate in different ways. And if you don’t feel like posting a lot of details on the public forum, then feel free to send a PM to any of the staff members. We’re here to help.

In any case: welcome to EC! I hope you'll find some of the answers you're looking for here :slight_smile:

6. Eleanor Rigby

Well, I think the posters above me pretty much covered what I would have said :slight_smile:
    Anyway, congratulations for coming out to yourself (and to us in the mean time). That's a huge step.
    You'll become more comfortable with yourself, just give it time. And I hope you'll find on EC all the help and support you may need.
    Make yourself at home :slight_smile:

7. RaeofLite

Congrats. Welcome to the Love and Support that EC can provide. :slight_smile: (*hug*)

8. i need help

good job...just remember you done have to pick a label...i know it seems hard right now it will always get easier even when it dont seem like it...there are a bunch of people here willing to help...joining this sight is the best thing i ever did...

9. Melissa

A heartfelt congratulations to you my friend! We are very glad to have you here at EC. Welcome. (*hug*)