1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I can't stop thinking about this...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by pikachu1, Jan 4, 2010.

1. pikachu1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    For some reason whenever I see someone having fun and enjoying themselves I think "What if that person had to play that game for all eternity/ What if that was the only food they were allowed to eat for the rest of their lives." I don't wanna think this way cause it scares me but lately it just keeps popping into my head. Recently I saw on tv a family watching a movie and I thought "What would they do if they could never watch anything else? What if they were forced to watch that movie until they died?" What can I do about this? I hate thinking these things.

2. Mind Freak

Hmmm. I really don't know. You could just tell yourself to stop thinking this way (assuming you haven't tried which I'm sure you have) or you could seek professional help like counseling. : )

3. TroubledRyan

ya...it kinda sounds more like a phycololigical problem,try to see a school councler

4. Roxas101

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think what you really need is to figure out why you think stuff like that. Are you jealous that they are having fun? Do you somehow feel that them having fun is in some way going to impact you? Or is it just morbid/curious thinking?

Once you figure out why you keep thinking stuff like that, then it might help you to stop thinking it if it's something thast annoys you.

5. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Better than thinking "Pft, wait until he cheats on her." "I hope that ball hits him in the face."

6. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well, lets take a look at what your saying.

"What if that person had to play that game for all eternity/ What if that was the only food they were allowed to eat for the rest of their lives."

What you seem to be saying is you are worried about getting stuck in a rut. Do you feel like you are stuck doing the same thing over and over. Are you bored?

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And what's your response to these thoughts? I mean, I think the answer is obvious - "it'd suck". But can you dig a bit deeper? Do you have any specific thoughts behind that overriding one? Is it something along the lines of "Oh, they think it's enjoyable now, but they're just thinking they're happy when they actually aren't"? Something like that?

I personally went through a bout of depression about two years back, and I recognize some of the symptoms. Getting locked into a negative thought and not being able to get off of it. If it really is all-encompassing, and it's literally impossible for you to push these thoughts away, then perhaps it'd be a good idea to go see your doctor to get evaluated for possible depression.

Lex

8. Andromeda

Andromeda Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The only game I would play forever is second life (as of now)

and the only food I would eat forever is rice pudding with cinnamon, i am never tired of that stuff

9. xequar

You know, this is, in some ways, quite an interesting intellectual exercise, one that's obviously been bothering you, so let's do this:

Follow it through, intellectually I mean. So your friend could only watch "The Simpsons" (or whatever singular thing) for the rest of his life. How would that play out? Well, for awhile, it'd be really cool. Whenever he turned on the TV, his favorite show would be on. He could go and grab a drink and watch it for a bit. Eventually though, he'd tire of it. He would eventually stop watching TV all together and find some new thing with which to entertain himself.

Maybe in a few years, he'd flip on the TV, just to see if he could watch something different, but when he discovered that it was still the only thing he could watch, he might sit down and watch it for a bit, remembering how much he used to enjoy that show. But then that'd be it. He'd remember that he either could watch that show or nothing at all, and he'd go back to nothing at all. Human beings are remarkably adaptive creatures. He'd figure it out and adapt.

Why did I go through all that? Sometimes for me, some random idea that keeps popping up almost begs me to follow it down the proverbial rabbit-hole. Follow the idea to the end, see where it leads you. A question like what you're asking can be answered in a myriad of ways, so follow it down and find a few of the answers. Then when that question pops again in your brain, you can say, "Well, that'd suck, eh?" and move on.