1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So Cynical and Hateful

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Austin, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, so maybe its obvious maybe its not but lately my view of the world has become really cynical. I hate most people and when I see someone happy I wish bad things on them. I think I'm jealous of other people's happiness when I can't be happy. Even on this forum is I see someone with a boyfriend, or someone who likes to party or do drugs or do the usual gay stereotypical things I so badly hope something bad happens to them. If people do anything that I don't like I suddenly despise them and hope that something ruins it. I.e. if someone has a boyfriend I hope their heart gets broken, if someone does drugs or drinks even on rare occasions I hope it kills them. I can't stand society and I know it's stupid. Just because someone has friends, a bf, etc I shouldn't hate them and hope it all goes away from them. I'm jealous when people have what I can't have and I hate them for it. And I get so upset when I wish bad things on them and they don't happen. It's really making me upset with life and even more depressed and wanting to die.

I kinda wanna change it, but I don't think it's worth bothering. And it's hard hating so many people.

2. TroubledRyan

Well that isn't fair...what if they did losse overything...what if they did die,wouldn't that bother you,since you wished it on them?
    The only real way I see to fix that is to change it yourself, It really isn't hard to find someone you can be yourself around,it really isn't,just be out more,let people see your true colors,because when you have friends,it truely does make you happy

3. Zach

I'm sorry you feel so down. Things will get better as you get older, when I was younger I sort of felt the same way you do right now. It took a few years and a few failed relationships along the way before I found happiness. Hell, even after I found a good relationship, it fell apart 4 years later (he went str8t again...go figure).

4. Greggers

Just wait until you wish one of these things upon someone and then it comes true; You will most likely be so racked with guilt you will stop wishing these bad things on people.

Its normal to envy people or to spite them, but to wish ill harm and/or death onto someone is not so normal. Its good that you seem to want to change though. Maybe this is something a counselor or shrink could help with though. All i can recommend is to try and look at the positives in your live and remind yourself that things like heavy drug and alcohol use have their consequences so there is no need to hate someone for it.

Alot of this boils down to the "golden rule". Do unto others as you wish to be done unto yourself (or something like that).

5. Lucky Panda

Jealously is a natural instinct. I'm pretty sure cavemen were being little green monsters over the fact that someone else had a prettier rock. In all sense, it would only seem natural for someone to wish bad upon someone, seeing as they are happier and the other is not. I wouldn't go as far as to say that it should be a driving force behind someone's suicide, but rather, their goals; seeing someone better than you can help you strive and aspire to be equal to or greater than them. Instead of trying to bring them down, try raising yourself (no offense). And surely their are people out there who are feeling the same way about you; jealous about looks, intelligence, a hot body (yes, I couldn't help but look at the picture), or other things. All in all, your "perception" of the world isn't as cynical as you should make it.

6. Hi, Austin.

First of all, (*hug*)

Second of all, I find a lot of people insufferable, too, and I think it's because I see so many people out there taking advantage of what they have and complaining about trivial things that shouldn't even matter. So when I see these people making stupid choices and causing their own problems, it's hard for me to feel sympathetic or apologetic. However, it reached the point where I only saw and expected the worst in people, no matter who they were, and it ultimately made me see the worst in myself.

It sounds to me like your confidence and self-worth are the issue here. I don't think the problem is that you're hating everyone for what they do; I think it has more to do with the fact that you hate you're not a part of it, whatever it is. Your logic is basically saying, "If I can't have that, then no one else can. So they all just need to die." In a way, it makes sense, but it's unfair, unrealistic, and unconstructive. You need to fix this because it's definitely not getting you anywhere, and the fact that you're realizing it now is a great start to overcoming it.

I think you need to find a good, constructive hobby, one that will occupy your mind for a while, and maybe one that will get you socializing with people who share the same interests as you (aka, people you can at least tolerate). What type of activities do you enjoy? Watching movies? Playing sports? Volunteering? Reading or writing? It can be anything. The less free time you have doing nothing, the less free time your mind has to think.

7. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have those from time to time. Just try to remember that wishing bad things on other people isn't going to change your life situations, and it isn't going to effect those people. All you're doing is bringing yourself down with negative thoughts.

8. Colton

Just look at my blog. See if it makes you happy, or laugh...

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This thread is f**kin awesome. My roommate is a total a-hole and he falls into this. Wanna know what he said? Well he teases me because I don't fall under the standard which apparently is "the ideal people strive for" and I just can't help but look at him and be like you're f-in joking me.

Yes there's the standard but here's how I look at it. The people who are outside the standards, so the people who are scene/goth/emo, the people who are autistic like myself, the people who just people shun because of how they dress or how they act or who they are, because we deal with that we have to work a HUNDRED times harder so that we can make something of ourselves. But frankly to me, we're the ones who are going to succeed in life. Those who are handed things because they fit the norm? They're the ones who are in the future going to wind up with nothing because they never had to work for anything. Me and people like me? We're going to be the ones who are extremely successful whether lawyers, actors, doctors, millionaires, whatever, because we had to work a hundred times harder and as a result we made ourselves into who we are because we had to work for it.

That's just my opinion. To those on here who maybe are under that "standard" I apologize if you feel insulted, but frankly all of us in the LGBT are technically outside the standard. However even in our community, there's still a standard. And because of me and my autism, I'm outside that standard so I have to work so much harder.

Anyway, people are cynical as I just showed in my above words. I hope you see what I mean.

10. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't just assume that. I wouldn't feel guilty. I know wishing bad things on people will not cause it to happen, but I would be happy it happened. I wouldn't ever harm anyone physically, just fyi.

Thank you, that seems like a productive way to use it. I'll try to think of how i can use it to help my strive to better myself. Though it is hard....

You're probably right. Though, people who do things I dislike I don't want to be a part of it... idk, I just hate them. And hatred isn't a nice thing to deal with.

And about the last party... not thinking as much... it's hard to do and I really want to join in with everyone else and live blissfully ignorant, not thinking of any of the unanswerable questions... This is totally a different thing but I can't help being scared, worried, etc when I ponder about what happens when we die, how are we here, why?, how did all this come from nothing, how can there be a god (I don't think there is), but how else can it all be here. It can't come from nothing. etc anyways ill shut up now.

I don't care if they fit the "norm" in society. I care if they fit what I want them to be. Not society. But, I do accept a lot of things I am not and I don't hate them. But the majority of people I hate, but some people I like, and those I like I'm nice to. I don't hate everyone...

Anyways, I don't feel like writing anymore I'll add more later.

Thanks guys.

11. BasketCase

Will it though?

I am 27 and still feel the same as the opening poster.

12. Colton

I sure hope so. Since I was about 6, I've always been pretty pessimistic. And I think that all of these years of the pessimistic thoughts and things, i'm getting more cynical. I kinda wish it will stop, but i kinda don't...