1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When Someone Asks Why "Anyone Has to Know"...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mmilam75, Jan 8, 2010.

1. mmilam75

So, I just thought I would share this, something I got from a friend of mine that I think is quite possibly the best possible answer when people you come out to ask "why do people have to know?" A friend of mine is on an online message board where a far-right whacko posted a "statistic" that claims the GLBTQ proportion of the world's population is as low as 3%. In that one post, that demonstrates why it is so important for all of us to come out - to demonstrate just how many of us there are. It's important for everyone to come out so that we can challenge every stereotype, every misconception, every lie that is told about us and remind folks who have listened to Jerry Falwell a little too long that they do, in fact, know more GLBTQ people than they thought.

Sorry for the rant, just thought this would be good for people to be reminded of.

2. Bookmarked

Agreed.

Another thing, I think that's important about coming out lies in the phrase "one in every family"

It's easy for people to discriminate against what they don't know. It's even easier for them to discriminate against some unknown shadow-y mass of people "out there".

However, I'd like to think it becomes impossible to deprive people of rights when they happen to be your son, daughter or best friend.

That's why it's important for people to know.

3. Greggers

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbWDNM0wuAc[/YOUTUBE]

Reminds me of this video.