1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to talk to a woman I work with (we're both lesbians)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by touchofgrey, Jan 9, 2010.

1. touchofgrey

I work with woman who's a lesbian and lives with her partner (they just bought a house) and she's definitely out at work, and as far as I know, out to all. She's really low-key about it all-- has no pride stuff anywhere in her office and (to my knowledge) not really involved with LGBTQA things.

I'm nineteen. She's in her thirties. I've been working in her office with her, sharing a desk with her, even, for two weeks. I don't know if she knows I'm gay--I've never said anything directly to anyone at work, although I do have a pride pin on my bag. I don't know if anyone notices (another woman asked me yesterday if I have a boyfriend).

I'm only working there for another week (it's my home job- I go to college elsewhere) and I'd love to say something to her, but I don't know what.

Any thoughts?

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ordinarily, I'd just say "start talking" but there's this.

>>>I'd love to say something to her, but I don't know what.

Well, examine that, then. WHY do you want to talk to her? About being a lesbian? Do you have questions, or are curious about her path to where she is now? Try picturing the conversation you'd want to have in your head. What sorts of things are you saying to her?

Lex

3. touchofgrey

That's a really good point, Lex, thank you. I've run through this question a lot. I guess, mostly, I just want to have someone to talk to about LGBQTA-ish things while I'm home... I live in a very rural community.

One thing I was thinking about saying was, "Hey H, I know this is kind of a personal question, but is it weird for you living in an area that doesn't have much of a gay community?" That was my thought for my "start talking" sentence.... I just miss the gay community I have at school when I'm at home, and it would be awesome if she responded with some information about lesbian communities in this rural area.

I'm just so nervous! She always talks about recipes that her partner makes, and mentions her a lot, but other than that, has made no other indication that her sexual identity/gayness in general is something to talk about.

Then again, I'm not sure if she knows I'm gay.

4. Holmes

I know that feeling. You want to mention it, but don't want to embarrass her, because why should you mention it. And even people who aren't gay themselves, I might think I should let them know, but didn't, but no appropriate circumstances came up.

But you do want to let her know. Are you active yourself at all? You could casually mention it, or leave something on your desk. Or you could leave a telling book around. Or if you're talking about a film or television program, you could mention you think such-and-such an actress is quite pretty. She might smile, and you could say, "Yeah, I'm a lesbian too".

5. touchofgrey

Holmes,

Thanks for the advice. That's exactly it-- I don't want to embarrass her, or cross some line about personal stuff... but my sexual identity is really important to me right now, and, well.... it would just be awesome to have someone at home to "be there"....

Not "be there" in terms of sex or sexual questions, just .... "be there" .... I guess to maybe help me navigate being gay in this town? It's all so new to me.

I feel like I'm not making any sense....

I think I want to make my relationship with this woman less about work and more about .... friendship, I guess. Because we have a lot in common, you know?

#5 touchofgrey, Jan 9, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  6. Holmes

Well, if it's partly about getting your way around town and finding out if there's a lesbian scene, she mightn't think it too strange if you asked at a casual time of the day, like when you finished work, as you put it, something like "I know this might be a strange question, it's just that I'm new to the town. Do you know of anywhere I could meet other girls?" From what you say, about the potential of getting to know her as a friend of some sort, she sounds like she is friendly enough. And put it like that, it's not as if you asking her about her being a lesbian. As in, it's not a personal question (even though it is a little) so much if you make it about you being new in town rather than her having a girlfriend.

And by talking about her partner in the exact same way any one else in the office might talk about the love of their life, she is being perfectly open about her gayness. There's a chance too that she's picked up on your gayness. She must have seen your rainbow pin, and she would know exactly what it was. Your other colleague mightn't have. Gay people often can tell another, just from years of subconsciously wondering who of different people they'd have a chance with.

7. adam88

Touch, I'm in a very similar situation. My employer is a lesbian, and is really, really open (AKA chatty), and she was a huge help to me when I started coming out. She's currently urging me to come out as much as possible. :slight_smile:

So, I suppose it depends on the relationship you have with your coworker.

8. touchofgrey

Thanks for the continued replies; I REALLY appreciate it.

Let me be clear...I'm not new to town. This is the town I grew up in, and I'm home on winter break from college and this is a short stint in an office where I worked for the summer. Over the summer was when I actually started coming out, and I didn't feel comfortable talking to this woman when other people in my life didn't know. Now, I really want to say something. I'm only working for/with her for one more week, but I know that I'll see her (my dad works in the same building) whenever I come home, and if I wind up staying at home this summer, I'll work with her again.

I just feel like...well... at school I have all these awesome resources and gay community to be involved in.. I'm pretty new to this--I just realized/acknowledged the fact that I was gay over this past spring/summer...I immediately started coming out because I was so excited with my discovery (I spent a lot of time confused growing up). Then I came home a few weeks ago and it was like...nothing...there's nothing here, no community, nothing. I really want to reach out to this woman because.. .well... she's someone in my town.

Plus, I really like her- we have a lot of fun at work together, chatting and such.

I guess the only thing left to do is actually work up the courage to say something.

You're probably right, Holmes-- she probably has seen my pin and, of course, she knows exactly what it is. It's like, I think she knows...I just want to tell her, to break that ice.

If someone more than ten years younger than you wanted to talk about something like this, would you freak out?

She's really professional, though, and I don't want to cross a line.

9. Jim1454

Tell her that! Tell her that you really enjoy working with her, and that you'd like to stay in touch - even while you're back at school. She'll be flattered.

No! I'd be fine with this. She is obviously comfortable talking about her partner in the office, and I think she'd be fine offering you some support and encouragement. I would be. I recently attended my company's first LGBT employee meeting and I was the most senior person there. Other people there said that they hoped this group would provide mentoring relationships - and I'd be happy to play that role if someone asked.

Just talk to her. She was once in your shoes. She'll understand.

10. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Are you just looking for another gay person to talk to? There is nothing wrong with that. You can even open with that, just be honest she seems like someone who has her life together and you'd like to know if you can talk to her about some stuff.

11. Holmes

Yeah, I realized after I'd posted that I'd written the quote wrong, I did realize you were back home. It'd probably be especially nice to meet a girl from your hometown, you'd have different things in common with her than your college friends. So you can put it as "...I'm just home from college and..."

I don't think you're crossing a line, because you say you get on and she's chatty. Even someone who's very professional about their work can be quite open on their breaks. As in, don't ask her while you're at your desks, but you could if you're getting coffee together on your lunch break. It would be unprofessional if you asked her to get involved, like to bring her out, or introduce you to a friend. Though if she offered, it wouldn't be unprofessional to accept.

Jim mentioned a mentoring role. She might well be happy to take on that role, but you mightn't be sure if she does. But a simple question about where you might meet someone isn't really asking much at all.

You could ask indirectly. I don't know if you chat much about general things, but if you're talking about college, you could say something like, "I do like being back at home, but it's nice in college that I have a gay community, I kind of miss it here". As in, say to her exactly what you said to us. Again, it's from your point of view, so not a personal question. There's a good chance she doesn't miss at all the lack of a gay community, she's living with her partner, they probably have a few friends they meet occasionally, but as people get older, they do have less time to go out.

I do think you should, because you have this chance of finding someone from home, which could be a fun experience. So good luck:thumbsup:

12. touchofgrey

Wow, everyone, thanks for all the continued support!

I didn't say anything today, although I did ask a question about her partner in the context of the conversation we were having. I just couldn't get up enough courage to say something more "gay" than that.

I'm only working tomorrow (Tuesday) and then Thursday with her and then I'm done, off, back to school...I'd really like to say something to her, maybe along the lines of what you guys have said, about how nice it's been working with her, etc. etc.

I think it all comes down to plucking up the courage and just spitting something out. It's most likely the case that she already knows (or has a feeling) that I'm gay, and she is, so there's not a whole lot of reason to fear anything.

Thanks for the encouragement; hopefully tomorrow I'll post some success story!