1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Big Genderqueer Question.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Clockwork, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Clockwork

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So, I've been exploring a lot of websites and whatnot dedicated to 'third gendered' or 'gender-queer' persons. But now, I have a question and I'd like to know anyone's opinions, or any insight/help you may have for me.

Being gender-queer, I feel like my name ties me down to the gender I was born, female. [my name is Rebecca]. Some people have suggested I use a guy name that also starts with an R [like Robert] or B [Like Ben, because I shorten my name to Becca], but neither of those satisfy me either.

Does anyone else have this problem? In short, I feel that by giving myself a female-or-male name is just tying me down to that specific sex, when I feel like I'm both, rather than just one or the other.

Help me out? I'd love to hear what you all think.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Just wondering what you think about having both, a female and male name and use both of them simultaneously. Like this you would not tie yourself to one gender.

3. Clockwork

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I don't really know. I think it would make me happier to have a name like... Mickey or something [cuter] that was a non-gendered name.

4. Hidden Angel

Hidden Angel Guest

Why not have a name like Taylor or something which can be both a male and female name.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's another option of course too. Maybe take on a non-gendered name then.

6. Clockwork

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

Yeah. My post was moreso to get other peoples opinions on this subject [not just gender-queers, but gaylesbi too. ] because it erk'd me and I wanted to see if anyone else was irritated by the subject. XD

7. Pokerface

I like Alexis, sexy name for both men and women... or Andrea which here in mexico is a girls's name but in Italy it's a guy's name... I'd pick something of the sort. :slight_smile:

8. Greggers

Ive never really been called by my real name by the people who matter most to me, so I dunno really :x Yea, im genderqueer too. I feel *mostly* like a third or "non" gender, but sometimes i lean towards the more female side (on the inside) or the male side (on the outside). I dont really like the name "Greg" but i dont think i can be bothered to change it.

I guess in a way it ties me down to my male side, and i think if i changed it to something more general it might in some way free me from that...but i dont know, at the moment I dont feel a real urge to change it. If i did though, i would pick a very old or very mythic sounding name that no one really has anyone. My great grandmothers name was Bedia ("beh - dah") and i kind of like that...

9. SaturdaySaviour

Non-gender specific names are very sexy, imo. Using such a name sounds like a better option than using a male and a female name, both at the same time.... but that's just what I think. You should do what feels right for you. :slight_smile: