1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't want to seem bothersome but...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mind Freak, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Mind Freak

There's a new guy I'm showing around at school. He seems really cool but I could tell from a few things he said that he might have sort of a rocky life at home. Maybe; I kind of feel like saying and thinking that is an insult but yeah.

I asked him if he wanted to go to the movies with me and a couple of friends and he declined because his dad was going to come and take him out of town for the weekend. I don't think that happened because of his status online though. : (

So, his number is on his page and I was wondering if I should call and ask him again if he wanted to go to take his mind off of whatever might be going on and get him more adjusted to life in a new city. But I don't want to seem clingy or creepy since I just asked two days ago. Lol. I just want to make sure he feels like he has someone here who's got his back if he needs it. Sooo... yeah!

What should I do?

2. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

well he could be using another computer at his dads?

wouldnt hurt phoning or texting him tho. just say you wanted to double check incase he changed his mind. tell him also that if he does change his mind to give you a call or tell him he should go next time. that aint pushy really. its being nice to someone.

3. Zume

Yeah..like gaz said he could be using a different computer at his dad's place..but from what it sounds like he moved from a out-in-the-country town to the city and his parents are divorced? thats enough to make any kid uncomfortable..just give him time and keep trying to reach him..he will see that you are trying to be a good friend and start being more open and having fun or even start talking.. i had a friend who was removed from his home by child services many years back when i was in the 9th grade.. thats not this situation but it is a similar situation as far as feelings go i think..took a while for him to even talk before that happened.

4. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Normally, if this were me in that situation, I would appreciate it if someone called me or texted me or something and re-offered. Sometimes it takes asking me more than once for me to decide it's okay to go out. And if I were in your situation I wouldnt call again for the exact reason you're talking about. It's a little awkward because he already said no. But, i'm a pretty shy person and I have a friend at school who will invite me somewhere and then I'll get all nervous and back out and make up excuses but he'll keep inviting me until eventually I say, fine, I'll go and I end up having a really great time. So he could just be shy like me, or he could have social anxiety and calling again might be a good idea. It might let him know that you really do just want to be his friend.

5. flymetothemoon

If I was you I would call him...just tell him that you figured you would call him and double check if he wanted to go to the movies and stuff with you guys, and maybe let him know if he wants to get out and see the town and what it has to offer some other time you would be willing to get together some friends to go out and show him things if he wants

6. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't say you saw him online cus that seems creepyish that you were wondering that. Text him randomly and say you were wondering if he wanted to go cus you haven't gone yet or w/e. Just tell him the offer is still up if he changes his mind. don't mention u saw him online.

7. Ander Blue

Copenhagen, Denmark (normally Troy, New York)
    Sorry that this is probly late by now, but still i like the point i have -

Certianly resend the invitation. If you haven't officially exchanged numbers yet, don't worry about it, just be sure to lead your convo with explaining who you are and why you're calling (I always get really confused when I receive a phone call from someone not in my phone). For him, he may or may not be able to go still, but it will mean a lot to him having someone offering to do something with him. Being in a new environment is difficult - and having people there to try and integrate you into it is awesome. Even if he does feel a bit wierd about going with you guys right now, you'll still appear a familiar figure to him from now on.

8. prester

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yes please keep in contact. With an army father I went through this new place routine more than most - and being shy as well does not help. Since you are the one who showed him around the school you have good reason to be inviting him to a social event. If he is new to the area his father is probably trying to keep him company and help him settle in - this may interfere with his settling in with new school friends (you).

So invite him out again as a friend with other people (to avoid the creepyness!)

Cheers Prester