1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Relationship question

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by peaceloverugby, Jan 9, 2010.

1. peaceloverugby

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just broke up with my boyfriend a few days ago. It was the first relationship I was ever in, and so it was pretty rough. My question is, how normal is it to be friends with your ex? Alot of "advice" videos on YouTube and whatever say that you shouldn't talk to your ex for a few months. But Jason wants to keep talking, and it's obvious he still has feelings for me. Do you think it's a good idea? Or would I be sending him mixed signals?

2. Stephen505

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Personally, I think it's great to stay friends. In my mind, a boyfriend is basically your best friend that you want to spend your life with, etc... So if you lose that last part, you could still go back to being best friends. Why would you want to lose a boyfriend AND best friend?

Though if you feel awkward around him, you could tell him... maybe like you said, stop hanging out for a while.. maybe just talk on msn.. Don't let others influence you, though. If you feel like he's a good friend, don't throw him away.

I don't know anything about your relationship, obviously.... but I'll say if the breakup was over something silly, maybe there will be a chance in the future to get back together.. if you don't want that though, just let him know that you don't want him to still "have feelings" for you.

It's all just up to you and how comfortable you feel.

3. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm still friends with all my exs, I don't see the problem with it...

4. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I would try to remain friends. If it becomes a problem, then you may have to cool things for awhile but I think trying is important. For both you and him!

5. Eleanor Rigby

From what you said I understand you're the one who broke up with your boyfriend, right ?
    In that case, he probably still has feelings for your, and you want to make sure you won't mislead him with false hopes.
    If you want to remain friend with him that's fine, but you have to have a serious talk with him to be sure he can handle it. Tell him that you only have friendly feelings for him now, and that it's not going to change, and that if needs some space an time without seeing you or talking to you for a while, that's fine too.
    And you have to make sure you change your attitude toward him (like for exemple, avoid physical contact such as hugs) and don't see him as much as you used to when you were a couple.
    I tend to think that once he'll understand you're not going to come back, he will need some time without seing you. Don't take this the wrong way and give him the time he needs. Time heals a lot of things.
    Take care, Eleanor

6. tylerzane69

i am in the same situations just im the one who still has feelings... and its rough on both ends, you just have to find a happy medium and go from there, take the step back and try to be friends and be honest with him if something he does is to much... i have learned this and im trying to take the step back and be a friend but sometimes emotions get in the way and things dont go as planned but both parties involved have to understand the situation and make the best of it if you really do want to be friends! good luck!

(*hug*) :kiss: :eusa_ange(!!):newcolor::eusa_pray