1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telling People

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TroubledRyan, Jan 9, 2010.

1. TroubledRyan

Okay,so...this isn't a big issue for me,but I really really really want to tell more people I'm gay,but I find it hard to do since I'm rarly alone with the people I want to tell.and my friend that I did tell...well she isn't that helpful with this,and somewhat deny's I'm gay,but thats not my problem.I want to tell more people but dunno how or when now.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Sorry to hear about your friend who seems to have bit of a hard time with it.

Maybe try to pull a friend aside in school or try meeting a friend in an empty class room where you have a bit of privacy. Another thing you could do is invite a friend over or try to meet that friend at a coffee shop or perhaps even go for a walk. Try to create the opportunities where you can come out.

Maybe e-mail or call a friend, and ask if you could meet him or her on a day where you and the friend have some time.

If meeting in person turns out to be too difficult or you can't find some time alone with the people to whom you want to come out to, maybe e-mail, call or IM them.

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I like Mirko's suggestions. I also think you can try to be aware of conversations that would provide a good opportunity for you to reveal yourself.

4. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you cant get people alone, then maybe try getting a bunch you want to tell to hang out together then tell the group, you'll have gotten a lot of people out of the way and if one person accepts it then the rest will most likely follow suit... it's a social psychology thing... If one person does something, more people will be tempted to do the same.

5. TroubledRyan

hmmm,kay thank for all your guy's help :slight_smile:
    I'm thinking I will IM her

6. Zumbro

I think you'll find too that once you start to tell more people, you'll be more confident and be able to tell more people (The snowball effect for coming out). I was really lucky and haven't had any bad experiences with coming out, although I haven't told my parents yet, but once you tell two, it's easier to tell a third, and a fourth, and then a group, and so on whenever. Don't worry about it. It gets easier, even if you do just have to text someone and say "I need to talk to you quick. Are you free [time]?" (A great way to get someone alone by the way, if you don't want to tell a group)