1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I know it's silly, but...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Bunny, Jan 11, 2010.

1. Bunny

...I feel like it's never going to happen. That I'll never be in a relationship.

I know it sounds really dumb and childish, but everyone around me keeps finding love, and I want so badly to know what it's like.

But what can I do? So long as I appear outwardly female, no guy who is willing to love me as a male would ever like me. And even if I were to...say, get my breasts removed like I've always wanted, what about the rest of me?

Could I be in a relationship with a bisexual guy if I knew that he would be attracted to me for being a female, biologically?

Hell, even if I changed every inch of my body, a gay guy would have to know some time that I was born into the body of a female.

And what are the odds of me finding and falling in love with another FtM who is understanding of my problems (and actually willing to get with another FtM)?

I'm sorry if none of this makes any sense, I'm just feeling sort of hopeless. I'm living in the middle of nowhere surrounded by bigots who only seem to care about what's on the outside. I just don't know what to do now. Everyone tells me to be patient and someday I'll find someone but god, I just don't believe it anymore.

Sorry for all the angst and melodrama. :frowning2:

2. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (*hug*)

For whatever little it might be worth, I'm convinced that everyone who hasn't been in any relationship has that feeling every once in a while. I have it myself, every few months, when all I can think about is "it really isn't going to happen for me".

...But then I remember that I already came farther than I ever tought I would, and that a lot of the things I thought never were going to happen (coming out, graduating, getting a job) managed to happen all the same.

So it's probably best to forget all doubt and move along with confidence that good things will happen eventually. Look at how you already figured out your true gender, told your parents... It might not go as fast as you ideally want it to, but you already did a lot of things most people would have never doen at age 16. And if you remain confident, then lots more will happen.
    Even if you don't see the ideal guy arriving, nice guys who look past the gender you were born with do exist. If they really fall in love with you, biological gender will be an afterthought. He might not arrive today or tomorrow, but he will someday!

I know, it's a variation on the theme of "good things happen to those who wait". But I do hope it helps a bit (*hug*)

3. Ralivar

I quite often feel the same way, I look at my friends that are in good solid relationships and I think I want that and then immediately move onto, I'm never going to have that despite how much I want it. I don't know why I think like this, its just the way my thoughts have always progressed.

I know that it is cliched, but there is someone out there for you, and you just have to remember, and that anyone you end up in a relationship with are lucky to be with you.

4. Bunny

If I do nothing but wait, then how is anything going to happen?

I don't know what it is that I want you guys to tell me. I know you're probably right, but I just can't...ugh.

It's not going to happen to me. I don't like to generalize, but I have never met a gay man who said they were willing to be with an FtM. And I've seen it asked, too.

The odds of a nice guy with similar interests who doesn't mind the fact that I have the opposite of what he's into coming along and falling madly in love with me? About as good as they sound.

And I'm not exactly gorgeous looking, either.

5. Eleanor Rigby

First thing, I think you could do with some (*hug*) (*hug*)

Then, believe me you're not the only one in that boat ! And you're only 16 ! That's very young. I know you're craving for love, everybody is, but love happens in it's own time. Sometimes it's early in life, sometimes it's later. Just be patient and confident, your time will come.
    And don't be too bothered about your gender issues. Yes your transition is not completed yet, and yes, the fact you're transgender is likely going to be known by your boyfriend when you'll have one. But keep in mind that nobody fall in love with someone for the body parts they have or don't have. Someone who is going to fall with you will fall for your smile, you laugh, your sense of humor, your kindness, far more than for what is in your pants. When you fall in love with somebody, you fall in love with a person, and no matter where you are or will be in your transition, you are a wonderful person and so very likely you are going to be loved for who you are, not for what you appears to be.

6. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The whole FtM thing, personally, and i'm sure lots of other people would say something similar, it's not really a huge deal, so long as you've had the operation, which clearly you havent if you still have boobs. But I'm just not into vaginas in any way whatsoever. However there are plenty of men out there who would be willing to have a relationship with you regardless of the fact that you have a woman's body. This may be a little different I guess but I know someone who is very much in love with a woman who used to be a man. When you find someone who cares about you, it becomes unimportant.
    If you're that upset with your body and you really want to become a man, then you should start saving up for testosterone and the operation.
    Also, confidence is key. I am very much attracted to people who are confident in themselves.

7. Jim1454

I know you don't want to hear it, but you're only 16! I certainly wasn't in love at 16. And if you read through some of the threads here, there are A LOT of people here who didn't have relationships until they were in their 20s, 30s or 40s. That's just the way it is.

At 16, you're world is really quite small. You know your friends from high school because they live in the same area. And that's it. In 2 or 3 years though you'll be off to university, where you'll meet a larger cross-section of the population from a broader geographic / economic / social / political / sexual spectrum. And then your world gets even larger when you start working, perhaps move again, travel, and make friends solely based on your interests.

So to base your expecations of the rest of your life on what you've experienced so far at 16 is not a reasonable thing to do. You can't even imagine how your life will change over the next 10 years.

What I can predict though is that bad things will happen if you have a negative and pessimistic attitude towards life. The odds of good things happening improve if you can maintain a positive and optimistic attitude. Positive people attract other people to them like magnets. And you yourself know that it really isn't fun hanging around with someone who is always a real 'downer'.

Good luck - and if you want to chat, send me a PM. :smilewave

8. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it isn't silly, When you see all your friends hooking up and you're left all alone, it is natural to feel a little discouraged.

I hate to throw the kid card at you, but mix that with the gay card and people won't be pounding your door down. The important thing is to not get down on yourself.

I think what everyone is saying, with the wait thing, is that as you get older you'll find more opportunities to meet other gay men. There just aren't that many when your a teen.

So, be patient.

Good luck out there

9. adam88

For the rest of your post, I offer words of support. We're all in this crazy mess together, so don't feel bad about asking/ranting.

For the above quote, I offer words of education. You are asking as if bisexuals have two different sex drives, one attracted to men and the other to women. Trust me, it doesn't work that way. If anything, the bisexuals I know would be the most accepting.

10. adam88

Edit: Accepting of those who fall outside the gender binary, of course. Just thought I wasn't clear. :slight_smile:

11. knight of ni

I sometimes feel the same way, that I'm never going to have a boyfriend. I'm having one of those spells now, in fact. Several of my (straight) friends that I knew from high school have recently gotten married, and here I am, single now, and always have been. But I remind myself that I've been out, and thus on the market, for much less time than they have been, and then things are a bit brighter. It doesn't fix things, but it helps.

As for a gay/bi guy never wanting to be with a FtM, I can promise that it isn't true. I can't speak for all gay guys, (or for bi guys), but I can speak from personal experience. I know a FtM, and I think he's great. I'd quite like to go out with him, except that he now lives rather far away, so there's a distance problem. I'm not sure where he is in his transition, but it doesn't really matter. I still like him.

So try not to give in to doom and gloom. As others have said (whether its any consolation or not) you are still young, and you have a long life ahead of you. At least you've figured out who you are and what you want out of life... I was nearly done university before I came out to myself, let alone to anyone else. So give yourself credit, and hang in there. When you do find someone, it will be worth the wait... that much was obvious at the weddings I attended last summer!

12. Bunny

I know, I know that there isn't a hell of a lot that I (or any of you) can really do, it's just that...I feel like maybe if I had the male body that I want, I might already be in a relationship.

I feel like this body is holding me back, and I can't stand it.