1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friend moved away...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Cooper, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Cooper

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    One of my good friends just moved across the country for school (he is a year older). This is incredibly difficult because I just know in my gut that he is in the closet, too. All through high school, his relationships with girls were awkward and unsuccessful. He just didn't connect with them intimately (but he did with them as friends, ala, forgive me, Will & Grace). It seemed he just sort of froze up when it came to that.

This summer, I meant to ask him, but I was nervous to. Since he'd be so far away, I didn't want anything to change between us and also have a long distance to patch things up if they turned sour...it does not really work that way.

I feel like I should have, though. I just know in my gut that he wouldn't have been so awkard as he was if he was open about it, because I feel that he was awkard because he was hiding this.

He is one of the most beautiful young men I know; he is the first person I've ever really felt love for... I just wish it could have come to fruition. But deep down, I feel it wouldn't have worked out with his big move and all.

So, just thought I'd share...

2. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

Oh I'm sorry he moved away. I know what it feels like to move cross country, or have a friend that does...it's rough. Maybe one day when y'all see each other again you can ask him if he's gay.

3. austin0708

austin0708 Guest

i have a similar experience, not about the moving away, but the "not sure he is gay but he seems gay" situation. my experience is actually the opposite side of your story, so my bestfriend (who i myself had a crush on) asked me "what would you do if one of your friends said he's gay?" (he doesn't know i'm still doubting my orientation) and I guess he just heard himself again in his head and felt he made a risk so he quickly added "because i have this school project about open mindedness in our society." so i just answered that i'm quite liberal so i don't mind, i'll still be friends. then i asked in private one of my friends that goes to the same school as him, if there really was such project and she said there wasn't.

So i concluded maybe my best friend would like to come out to me, i also think he's gay because he could pronounce hermes right and he's uber-stylish, and he has a girlfriend he ignores, but he's not sure if I'm actually gay myself. so my advice is just question him to find out some signs of homosexuality (be clever) especially if you still have contact with him, like through instant messenger or such, because in my story nothing changed in our friendship, but i guess we never talk about it again fear of awkwardness.