1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My mom...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by x2x2x2x2y2, Jan 13, 2010.

1. x2x2x2x2y2

Ok so my moms weird whenever I tell her I wanna come out to others. I told her I was gay this past October. She took it good and we've talked bout it a few times since. In december, when I told my best friend, she freaked a bit at first but now she's ok with it.

But now I've been feeling like it's time to tell my sisters. I mentioned this to her a few times and she acts odd when I mention it. I don't know how to explain it but I think she's only ok with me being gay, when it's not real. I told her this and she denied it and said she's just worried bout how my sister will react at first, but we're both pretty sure they'll be ok after awhile. I just feel like there's something deeper here that she's not telling me. What should I do??

2. Daniel

Honestly, my mother reacted the same way at first. It was her reaction because she felt that people would try to hurt me for being out.

I think it is that she doesn't want you to be hurt by homophobes. You're her son, she loves you, it's what mothers do.

3. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

It may be that she is uncomfortable with you being gay, and it may just take time (kind of like it takes us time to be comfortable with ourselves). If this is the case then being more open (like telling your sisters) may help your mom make progress on this front (if she originally took it good then she probably does want to make progress).