1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant about parents.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Totoro, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Totoro

So- Earlier this week, our university applications were due. I applied to the kinesiology program as I plan to continue my education through to an MD in something health science-y.

Anyhow that aside, my final year, and it's risen a lot of talk in my family. Earlier, my brother decided to phone home, to which i answered and he asked me what i had applied to . I told him what, and my mother who overheard me (because apparently she had no idea what i had applied to) told me that she kept telling me it was not a good choice. Later on after having spoken to him, I quietly went back to my room. My mother was unaware that I could still hear her on the phone- and to this, she talked to my brother. I guess she basically said that I was a failure, that my choices were wrong (she said it in such a tone that it felt... like she was insulting me, i guess) So, with that, I did not confront my mother, though I came up with the decision, or to finalize my decision that once i move out, i will not retain contact with my family. So now, here I am, completely angry, depressed because my parents don't support my decision in what i want to go into.
    My solution to all this: I am now ignoring my mother for the rest of.. well until i come to forget this situation xp- though i don't think i'll let this one slide so easily. She basically kicked me in the balls, from the back :lol:
    Anyhow thanks for reading my rant- I just felt i needed to just rant about it because of the incredible disdain my mother has had on me, lately. My father always looks down on me, so i don't really care about him. But my mother was someone that I felt was an actual parent, and she basically went... to a whole new low. GARGH!!

2. Mickey

I don't know if you're looking for advice but here goes,anyway.
    You have got to do what's right for YOU. If you don't,you may regret it.
    Your mom is your mom and sometimes that's how moms are,unfortunetly.
    Hell,I'm 48 and my mom still treats me like a kid,sometimes. And sometimes she says cutting things that still hurt me. I'm no angel,either. I know I've said things that have hurt her,too. I think you'll find there are many families like this.
    All you can do is bide your time until you move out. I know it's hard,but what alternative do you have? If there is some where else you can stay,try that. But if not,just grit your teeth. It'll be a little easier if you can start planning your life the way you want.
    Try thinking how your life will be when you can leave. Then make it happen.
    I wish you the best. Hang in there,it'll get better.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Parents sometimes feel the need to steer the ship for their kids. Even from the backseat. ("You're going the wrong way!") It's annoying, but there it is. I've found it's helpful to treat "advice" like this the way you'd treat somebody suggesting something at a restaurant. "Oh, you'll regret ordering the meatloaf. Get the fried chicken." Just thank them for their advice, thank them for looking out for you...and order whatever the hell you want anyway. :slight_smile:

Honestly, I wouldn't bother "planning" any freeze-outs of your parents. Take things day by day. Continue your path. Say "I understand you think this isn't a sure-fire way to success, but it's something I've really wanted to do for quite some time. I feel I need to give it a go." No matter how many times she lays the trip on you, respond with a variation of that. And keep on keepin' on. :slight_smile:

Lex