1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the future bright or dark?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RaeofLite, Jan 15, 2010.

1. RaeofLite

I'm currently volunteering at an organization related to my field that I'll be graduating form college in April/May... There's a possibility I could have a job in this organization (due to me talking to my superior's boss). I'm already using the guy as a reference to apply before I leave college. There is a policy in the organization that says it does not descriminate on religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation and some other things.

The college program didn't have a practicum so I found an organization to volunteer at for a year. I'm doing a good job and he is basically training me to do his job by working with people, filing, making new client cases etc.

My question is... in this case, would you let your boss (well, not boss, but superior who runs the volunteer program in this case) know you were gay if they kept hitting on you? (Assume it's the opposite sex hitting on you). Or would you smile and take it in stride until you applied and got a job?

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If it were me, I'd tell. But I'd keep it subtle, and keep it friendly. I wouldn't push him away with "I'm a dyke, ya perv." I'd say "Wow, I'm flattered that you're interested, but I'm actually looking for a girlfriend right now."

Lex

3. Otsuke

I think Lex's post summarizes everything ! I would do exactly the same thing ! :slight_smile:

Good luck :slight_smile:

4. Sylver

No, I wouldn't, and I'll tell you why. Gay/les or not, there is no place for sexual harassment in the workplace. If the guy starts hitting on you while you're just interning or volunteering, you can be assured it won't be a friendly work environment if you get on full time. Even if you take his place, no workplace should stand for this - it still smells of a bad work environment. Don't ever use your sexual orientation to "buy time" or secure a job - it's way too precious a part of you!

5. Jim1454

I guess it depends on how aggressive the flirting is on his part.

Can you not make it known at that office that you're gay so that you know he will find out? Then you don't even need to acknowledge that he's been flirting with you. That might be awkward for both of you.

But if it is verging on sexual harassment, then it might be appropriate to bring it up with HIS superior. You're the best judge though.