1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to help someone who's dealing with depression?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Katherine, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    I'm with my very first girlfriend now, the girl I've been in love with for over a year. I'm happy beyond belief to finally be with her, but she has...some emotional issues.

She gets depressed all the time--by that I mean almost every day. And it's usually about really little things, or even nothing at all. She gets upset really easily, and lately she hasn't been able to find motivation to do anything. She skips school a lot, and she's told me that even things that used to make her happy don't work anymore.

It really kills me to see her when she's upset, because I don't know what to do to make her feel better. I'm pretty sure she has an actual problem here (as in more than just normal teenage angst), and I think she knows too, but I know she doesn't like going to therapy, as much as I think it might help her.

I've already told her that I'll always be there if she needs someone to talk to about anything and that I really care about her. I just wish I could help more. So if anyone has any tips about dealing with depression in someone you care about, I'd really like to hear them. I know I can't fix her, and I know it isn't my place to try to push her into anything. I just want to know if there's any other ways I might be able to help, you know?

#1 Katherine, Jan 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You've done the most important thing - let her know you're there, you've got her back, and you're always available to talk.

Pretty much everything else is going to be up to her. You probably should (gently) nudge her into going to see her doctor, as she does have most of the symptoms of clinical depression. Depression CAN clear up on its own, but it's much more likely to do so if one is proactive about doing something about it. In addition, it makes the time spent in the depression a lot more bearable.

I've been through two rather deep bouts of depression myself. If you think I could be of any help, I'm more than willing to talk to her, or answer any questions she (or you) may have.

Lex

3. Jim1454

It's important for you to be supportive, but possibly more firm.

I got help only when my (ex) wife insisted that I go to the doctor. It was "either get help, or I'm leaving." So I got help. She needs to understand that this isn't just her life she's messing with - it's yours as well. So if she isn't willing to do something for herself, perhaps she'd be willing to do something for you.

4. Aoifeee

You've got the perfect attitude and already seem to be dealing with the situation as best as anybody can do.. :slight_smile: The best thing to do is to continue supporting her no matter what...The only person that can help her fully is herself, she needs to want to get better for it to happen... You can encourage her to go to therapy and keep at it because it DOES help :slight_smile: I would give more advice but that's all I can think of that's relevent...I've never had to deal with anyone else suffering from depression because my family nip problems in the bud with instant therapy and medication.

5. x2x2x2x2y2

You can't help her much. It's her will power to change that will truely help her. Talk to her about trying therapy. It works and would get her to open up. In the end, all you can really do is be there for her, and you are.