1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surrounded by Evangelical Christians

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LostandFound, Jan 21, 2010.

1. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

I basically have two parts to my life. I'm a fairly liberal Christian and am very passionate about Christianity. So I have my close friends who aren't religious and my close friends who are religious. While I don't try and keep these groups separate, they really have nothing in common so practically that's how it ends up. My religious friends are all very evangelical and very conservative, and they think of me as very conservative as well because I do a lot of things and read a lot of books associated with conservative Christianity. I've told most of my close non-religious friends that I was gay and literally nothing happened, it didn't change anything, which is great! Now, for reasons I won't get into, I soon have to tell my Christian friends.

While I wouldn't really care if my Christian friends rejected me because I see it as their problem and I'm much closer to my non-religious friends, the problem is that I've got a house with the religious friends. So my question is, to those who have come out to Christians, what was the experience generally? Did they try and change you? Was it really awkward after?

Thanks.