1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8 Problems For The Price Of 1.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lychee, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Lychee

1. I just came home from summer school where I had some of the greatest experiences of my life, and I know that it is impossible for all 60 of us resi kids and tutors to ever be in the same place together again. This makes me very upset. I learnt that life could be better, and then it was taken away from me, and I am expected to be content with everything going back to the way that it was before.

2. I am so completely over high school. Seriously. I hate that I go to a private school, where people spend $600 on shoes on a regular basis.

3. I really really hate my home situation and want to move out for university, but it's looking like a really unrealistic option. For one thing, the course of my first preference is located at a uni 20 minutes away. I don't actually like that uni at all compared to another uni in my city, but the one that I do like doesn't actually have the course that I want to do. Although it does do something similar. If I get a 50% scholarship to live on residence at the other uni, I'll have to pay approximately $10,000 for the accommodation. Which is still quite a lot of money, and I have no idea if I would be able to afford it. I doubt mum would pay. But moving out would be great.

4. To be able to afford to live on residence I would both need to get a scholarship, and also save up lots of money. Which means that I'll need to spend my whole year both studying and working. Which doesn't leave much room for anything else.

5. I'm confused about my sexuality. Again. Yay.

6. I feel like I need to do something to help people, but I don't know what I can do, and when, considering I have so many commitments this year. I have the urge to donate all the money I own to charity, but this would mean that I definitely wouldn't be able to move out any time soon.

7. I get way too stressed, way too easily. I'm worried that I'll have another nervous breakdown near exams this year. And there's not much I can do about it.

8. I'm worried about my weight. I managed to lose about 5kg (11 pounds) while at summer school. And I'd like to keep it off. But I don't think I'll be able to. And I don't know whether I'm getting too thin. But I'm getting happy with the way that I look, which is good. Like, I would totally walk around in a bathing suit. Apparently the average year 12 in my state gains 6 kg in the year though. I don't want that to happen to me.

I think that's it.

2. Eleanor Rigby

First thing, I think you could use a (*hug*)

1/ I completly understand, coming back from holidays can be very depressing, and I understand that it saddens you that you're not going to see all these people again. But the great thing is you're very likely going to stay in touch with some people you've met and be able to see them again. I am still in touch with some friends I have met years ago during holidays. Yes, we don't see each other very often, but we manage to do that every year or every two years, and it's great. For the rest of the time, there is MSN, e-mails and phone.

2/ There is not much you can do about it, except keeping your feet on the ground in unexpensive shoes :slight_smile:

3/ You're not obliged to figure that out already, but I think going where you can do the course you want is the best option, even if it means you'll have to stay at home a little more longer. This won't necessarily means your home situation won't change : you're growing up, in a year or two you might see things differently.
    And if it doesn't improve, you'll probably be able to find a solution when you'll be in college, like for example sharing a flat with some friends.

4/ If you don't move out, you won't have that problem to handle, but if living in residence is what you want, it might be worth the sacrifice.

5/ (*hug*) does that really matter ? Whether you're straight or not, you're still a wonderful girl :slight_smile: Take one step at a time.

6/ Giving all your money on charity on the hurge of helping other people is very generous, but it's not a good idea. You can give a reasonable amount of money if you really want to, but I think it won't be very fulfilling for you. Instead, why don't you try to give some of your time ? You can certainly voluntering somewhere, in an association that feed the homeless or in an hospital to visit old people. Try to find a cause for wich you're very concerned and try to figure what you can do to help.

7/ Maybe you can talk about it to your school councelor ? And doing something like relaxation, or yoga can really help in managing your stress. Think about it, because it can be worthy to learn how to manage your stress before attending university.

8/ the basics : try to save some time to do sports and eat healthy. But also, don't focus too much on this. Taking a few pounds won't be the end of the world, and if because of the stress of the exam you take a few pounds, you'll probably be able to lose them next summer.

Take it easy, everything will be fine :slight_smile:

3. littledinosaurs

For Uni can you attend it part time? That would allow you to take fewer classes and pay a little less per year and give you time to work and still survive. It's also a good idea because you get stressed easily and it will make it more manageable!

As for high school, you've just gotta push through because it's not going anywhere anytime soon. Good luck with that and try to make the most of it!

4. haelmarie

I'm sorry, I can't really help with 1. It's really suckish, I know, but I can't offer anything more than try to treasure that time instead of fretting about continuing it, if that makes sense. Try not to ruin the memory by getting depressed over it, but instead you could try to cherish it.

#2 OMG I KNOW IT SUCKS SO MUCH RIGHT?!?! Again, I'm not too helpful here. Unless you want to hear a long-winded diatribe on the venomous hatred I hold for my school...

My brother's in the same situation as you for #3. Hmm. This isn't an easy decision. On one hand, people often say that university is the best experience of their life, and staying at home would definitely put a damper on things. On the other hand, if you're busting your butt working just for this, it might not even be worth it. You said that you have to wait to see if you get a scholarship. For the time being, I suppose you'll just have to think about it - maybe someone who stayed at home for uni might share their experience in this thread.

#4 is kind of a personal question. Would it be worth it for you to slave the rest of the year away to live on residence?

I think most of us can feel for you with #5 too. It's not going to solve itself overnight, and like Eleanor said, it doesn't make a difference in who you are as a person.

It's really hard to give up time to work for charity if you're going to be working so hard this year, so why not consider sponsoring a child? I'm not sure if there's an age requirement for this kind of thing, but it's relatively low cost and you can make a huge difference in a child's life.

#7, I have nothing to add, really.

For #8, there's never an easy way to keep the pounds off. It's always going to be the same "eat healthy, exercise" deal. If you don't already, I'd suggest some form of cardio exercise. I find running to be an excellent stress reliever as well as a great way to stay healthy.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    1. I just came home from summer school where I had some of the greatest experiences of my life, and I know that it is impossible for all 60 of us resi kids and tutors to ever be in the same place together again. This makes me very upset. I learnt that life could be better, and then it was taken away from me, and I am expected to be content with everything going back to the way that it was before.

First off, feel stoked that you got to meet some great people you clicked with. Resolve to stay in touch with them online. Secondly, recognize this for what it is - evidence that you CAN in fact click with people. This wasn't a once-in-a-lifetime thing that can never be duplicated. True, you'll never be in that SPECIFIC group again, but you'll no doubt be in other positions where you can and do click with people. And you presumably learned a bit more about yourself on how you might approach would-be friends. So put that to daily use, and see what you come up with.

2. I am so completely over high school. Seriously. I hate that I go to a private school, where people spend $600 on shoes on a regular basis.

Then work on being the counter-example. That doesn't mean you should look down your nose on the people with expensive shoes, but be just as happy and proud of your $20 shoes as they are of their $600 shoes. This is how you can teach some of those students that it's OK to be yourself. :slight_smile:

3. I really really hate my home situation and want to move out for university, but it's looking like a really unrealistic option. For one thing, the course of my first preference is located at a uni 20 minutes away. I don't actually like that uni at all compared to another uni in my city, but the one that I do like doesn't actually have the course that I want to do. Although it does do something similar. If I get a 50% scholarship to live on residence at the other uni, I'll have to pay approximately $10,000 for the accommodation. Which is still quite a lot of money, and I have no idea if I would be able to afford it. I doubt mum would pay. But moving out would be great.

This might be tough. But one possibility - getting a roommate (or two) and living off-campus. It'll still be more than living at home, but if you want it bad enough, you can get a part-time job to pay for it.

4. To be able to afford to live on residence I would both need to get a scholarship, and also save up lots of money. Which means that I'll need to spend my whole year both studying and working. Which doesn't leave much room for anything else.

As the gargoyle likes to say - "How bad do you want it?"

5. I'm confused about my sexuality. Again. Yay.

Fine. You're currently "working on it". No worries.

6. I feel like I need to do something to help people, but I don't know what I can do, and when, considering I have so many commitments this year. I have the urge to donate all the money I own to charity, but this would mean that I definitely wouldn't be able to move out any time soon.

Many charities need time and manpower as much as money, so do some looking around to find one. You don't need to beggar yourself or stretch yourself ultrathin to make a difference.

7. I get way too stressed, way too easily. I'm worried that I'll have another nervous breakdown near exams this year. And there's not much I can do about it.

To be lamely prosaic about it, if it happens, it happens. Worrying about worrying never accomplishes anything. Accept the fact that you worry, and that a breakdown might occur in the future. Just know what to do if that does happen.

8. I'm worried about my weight. I managed to lose about 5kg (11 pounds) while at summer school. And I'd like to keep it off. But I don't think I'll be able to. And I don't know whether I'm getting too thin. But I'm getting happy with the way that I look, which is good. Like, I would totally walk around in a bathing suit. Apparently the average year 12 in my state gains 6 kg in the year though. I don't want that to happen to me.

If it worries you, do some research online about good eating habits and exercise habits. You don't have to become a major gym bunny or starve yourself to make sure your weight doesn't go out of control. Just making some sensible eating choices and moving around a bit can do the trick.

Lex