1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've accepted who I am, but now I don't really know what to do

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by abnormalgirl, Jan 24, 2010.

1. abnormalgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Today, I've accepted that I'm a lesbian. I've been questioning for a while, and for the most part have been in denial about it. After realizing that sexuality isn't something that you "just decide", I sat down, thought about which parts of my questioning were honest, and which parts were fake. Before, I thought I shouldn't trust my feelings or urges because I'm still a growing teen. I'm comfortable around girls, but uncomfortable around guys. I thought that was because I was simply more used to girls and too shy to have those kinds of thoughts about guys, yet. But, the fact is... I am old enough to have those thoughts. I do have those thoughts about girls. Whenever I try to think about guys that way, it feels so wrong and I shut my mind off from it. I like girls. I always have. Plain and simple. I feel like such an idiot for not coming to terms with it earlier, seeing as the answer was right in front of me all of this time.

There were signs of it even in elementary school. There was one girl in my class who I thought was the prettiest girl I had ever seen. I would follow her everywhere during reccess, and even deepened my voice a bit when I talked to her so I would sound like a guy. I was having innocent, romantic thoughts about her. The only reason I've convinced myself for so long that I've liked guys is because I've only had innocent thoughts of what it would be like to not be alone. All along, I've been perfectly capable of having those thoughts about girls along with so many more thoughts that I couldn't think about with guys in mind.

I guess I'm pretty lucky. The enviroment I live in is generally accepting of people like me. My parents are understanding, and are proud of my strong passion for gay rights. I'm very open to them, and I even told my mom that I was questioning. She accepted and understood me then, and I know that she and my dad will do the same when I come out to them. My friends at school are also very supportive. Every week, I go to the Gay Straight Alliance where we get together and set up events for the general support of the gay community at our school. The majority of them would understand that I'm still the same Sarah that I was yesterday. Yes, there are going to be people who look at me funny in the hallways, but people already do that anyway. I am very lucky.

But... that doesn't change the fact that this is all so sudden and rather scary. I'll always be Sarah, but this is an entirely new world that I'm stepping into. My parents may accept me, but the family that they come from wouldn't (I'd be lucky if even a couple of them accepted me). I don't want my life to be any different than it was before, just like how I'm still the same person that I was before. But this is going to change my life. It's going to change my parents' lives, too. They've already done so much for me and my brother. They make sacrifices everyday, and I don't want them to be hurt because of me.

I just need to know that I'm over-reacting and everything's going to be okay. Please help me.

2. Sicsemper79

Hi Sarah! Welcome to EC! (!) This is a wonderful forum and I am sure you will find lots of support here.

First of all, you aren't over reacting... second of all everything is going to be very very ok. From what you've said, I have to tell you it sounds like you are in a great place! Your parents and friends all sound fantastic!

Congratulations on coming out to yourself btw. That is the toughest part of the whole process (or at least is was for me, although i am not out to everyone yet). It sounds like you accept the fact that you like girls, some part of you always knew, they are what makes you tick... well, sounds like you've got it nailed.

You are asking what to do next. That is completely up to you. If you want to take some time with it and get really comfortable with it, there is nothing wrong with that in the world. However if you want to tell someone... you are already a member of your schools gay/straight alliance, right? Might be a good place to start... Remember, you don't have to come out to everyone in the world at once.

I said you weren't over reacting because you aren't. It's a big deal when us gays and lesbians finally come to terms with our sexuality. It is a load off our shoulders and we get to finally start being out true selves. Enjoy it! :thumbsup:

#2 Sicsemper79, Jan 24, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Sarah, and welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

First off, congratulations on accepting yourself. You have taken a major step, something definitely to be proud off. Glad you have started to trust your instincts and feelings. When it comes to sexuality and the feelings that you have, trust your instincts and feelings. Follow what ever feels right to you. Your feelings can change as sexual identities are fluid, but over time these feelings will solidify and become a lot clearer.

It is great that you are surrounded by an accepting and supportive environment. You already have all the major components of a strong support network, which is really important. Being part of the GSA and being actively involved should allow you to put some of your fears aside.

By accepting yourself, you have opened up a door, and it can be scary because now you have something to identify more clearly with and things may look different. But in reality they might not be all that different. In some ways, by being part of the GSA and having already mentioned that you are questioning, you have already laid down the groundwork for taking the next step. In many ways you have already indications that your parents will be supportive and accepting. Maybe now that you have accepted your sexual identity, start making use of that support network. In other words, start coming out as a lesbian to those who you feel would be most supportive.

You have mentioned a number of important things that will help you realize that everything will be okay, including that you will always be the same person. Will you change? Yes, but in subtle ways, i.e. perhaps being open about yourself or talking more about girlfriends. Fundamentally, you will still be the same person. Your current life or your current activities will not change either. Everything will just continue tomorrow and the next day and on the day you decide to come out to others.

Let all the work you have already done work for you now. Make use of your support network at all times. Things will work out and will be okay. You are not overreacting. Just take it slow, take it one day at a time, and trust your instincts.

I hope this helps a bit! Welcome to EC!

4. Sylver

Hi Sarah :kiss:!

You sound like you've really got things together, which is awesome. You've already done so many of the hard parts; accepting your own sexuality and who you are, coming out to your friends and to your parents. This is going to give you a solid framework on which you can develop your new identity.

I'm no expert on this by a long shot, but it seems to me that once you get to the amazing point where you are, the next step is to develop your new identity, to redefine yourself as a proud and happy lesbian living out in the open. It sounds like you're at that juncture, and it's OK to be a little nervous. Personally I think it's quite exciting that you have the chance to really determine who you will be for the rest of your life, and that it's someone you will be happy being. Take your time, there's no rush. You've already gone a lot further down the path than many here (myself included), so savor the moment and then sieze the opportunity to get it right.

As for your parents, remember that life is one continuous process of evolving and changing, and that applies to you and to them as well, and they're old enough to know and accept this. They may have to change their image of you and also adjust some of their relationships with others or face some of their own insecurities. Don't worry, they really sound like they love and respect you and that they're on your side. They'll realize that this will all be for a new and improved relationship with you, and you know, I know, and I bet they know that you're totally worth it!

Anyhoo, good luck. You've come a long way!

5. abnormalgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you so much for the support! :slight_smile: It really means alot to me. Today's been one huge rush, and your encouragement has made me feel alot better.

I'm so grateful for the community I live in, but... I still haven't come out to my parents, yet. As I stated before, I told my mom that I was questioning, but I don't know if she told my dad or not. I don't want to rush into things. I mean, I only just came to terms with it today. But everytime I'm around my parents, I feel the weight of my secret. And everytime I think about telling them, I get frozen stiff and my mouth won't open. I know that they're going to be concerned. This is a big thing.

So I'm thinking that I should take it easy for a while and wait for the right moment to tell them. I was thinking of announcing at the next GSA meeting, but that one's going to be very breif because of finals. So I'm thinking of telling at least a couple of my close friends pretty soon. I'll see how this week goes before I decide if I want to make any big announcements just yet.

Do you have any advice about coming out? Tell me about your own experiences.

And once again, thank you so much. :slight_smile:

6. RaeofLite

Welcome to EC. :slight_smile:

And...
    I will say that I first actually put the puzzle pieces together that I wasn't straight the summer after graduating from highschool when I saw two girls kiss. I felt something I'd never felt with boys apon seeing that.. I then tried my darndest to date and be interested in guys my age when I went to uni that fall. But I would still always be attracted to their female friends or mutual female friends of ours... The way they'd smile, laugh, joke... just made me melt, sending shivers along me.
    Whereas with guys it was just 'buddy buddy', lets do mutual stuff together like go "hiking, dirt biking and play video games".

Even though when I was in elementary school and highschool I would be like "I don't get what the big deal is..." with dating whenever my female friends told me about their boyfriends or hot guy hookups. And that was because... I didn't share their perspectives.

So... the summer after my first year, mom didn't know much about my life and she read my journal about my first HUGE crush on one of my best friends (who politely rejected me but still remained my friend). So fastforward through the years, I dated men and kept them at arms length because I really realized I wasn't doing myself or themselves a favour by putting myself through hell... I was just running away from myself and my true feelings. So in December08/January 09 I would face the girl in the mirror. I had my first girl experience and first series of girlfriends in 2009. I came out in April (Easter) 09 and... the past year I've come out and had some good and bad experiences through it. Mostly good and my parents are starting to come around...

My friends and the support at EC made it so much easier though. :slight_smile:

7. RaeofLite

By the way, you're not abnormal. LGBT people are simply 10% of the average population at any given time. :slight_smile:

8. abnormalgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    xD No no no, the "abnormal" has nothing to do with my sexual orientation. I came up with that nickname a looooooong time ago. It means that I take pride in being an individual and being true to myself as oppose to making every effort to "fit in with the norm."

9. RaeofLite

Well in that case, be as 'abnormal' as you want. :slight_smile: I get the "Lisa, you're weird" sometimes from a friend as well; even though I know she has her quirks too. :lol:

10. SaturdaySaviour

Congratulations on coming out to yourself!
    You know, you reminded me of myself... I had a crush on a pretty girl in kindergarden and I'd always tell my parents she was my best friend. :lol:

Things WILL change when you come out. Some people will be accepting, some won't and it's something we all have to deal with. But letting people know is a big relief. You are Sarah and you'll always be Sarah, nothing's ever going to change that. Your sexuality is just a part of who you really are and if people are bothered by that, then they just don't understand.

BTW, awesome parents are awesome. :thumbsup:

11. abnormalgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    :slight_smile: Thank you so much.

I'm having a lot more trouble than this than I thought I would. Yesterday, I felt confident about telling my friends and coming out, but now that I'm actually at that point, its a lot harder than I thought. But I know that I don't want to keep this closed up. Thanks to your support, I know I can face my problems head on and come out. It may take some time, but I can do it. Thank you so much.

12. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Every time you think about it and try, the closer you will get to the point of actually coming out. In moments where you are just about to come out and you feel a retreat is coming on, remind yourself as to why you want to come out. Always, remember you have everything in place.

Yep, you can do it!

13. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey Sarah

Thanks for sharing your story, and I like that you feel you are an individual in an abnormal way (I pretty much feel like that 24/7). You have made a huge step by accepting yourself, because some people take half their lives to realise who they are. Coming out is definitely not easy and you shouldnt feel ashamed or bad that you are finding it difficult to tell your friends. Its not a race to the finish line, you can take your time about it until you feel you are ready. The fear stopping you will eventually subside and you will find the strength to tell people, because ultimately you want to be happy.

Everyone on this site is so friendly and so many people have helped me, hopefully you will find that EC helps you out. If you want to wall message thats cool. Hope you've had a good day.
    nicxxx

14. Jim1454

Hi there and welcome to EC! I'm glad you've found this site, and I'm glad that you've come to recognize and start to accept your orientation. That's not an easy thing to do. It took me 35 years to get to that point - so you're years ahead of me.

What struck me in your introduction here was that you were worried about your life changing. The fact of the matter is, our lives change all the time. Whether we want them to or not. Whether we come out to people or not. Life is just like that.

What I found was that the longer I tried to keep my orientation a secret, the more my life changed for the worse. When I accepted the fact that I was gay and started to be honest with the people around me, the changes in my life were very positive.

That's not to say that you should come out in a big hurry. You need to do that at your own pace. I came out to my doctor and my wife over 3 years ago, and I'm still coming out to people I work with now. It can take as long as you want. It's whatever works for you. In the mean time, I'd strongly recommend hanging out here in EC. It helped me come to terms with my orientation and to get comfortable with myself. I'm sure it will do the same for you! Good luck!