1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

school counselors..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by bailey, Jan 25, 2010.

1. bailey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    does anyone know what they are obligated to tell parents? i really need to talk to mine about some stuff, but i don't want my parents finding out.. and does anyone know what the difference between a school psychologist and a school counselor is? i have both at my school.. thanks

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A school psychologist is a licensed psychologist and is bound by confidentiality rules. S/he cannot share anything you say unless it is something that puts you or someone else in imminent danger or severe risk of harm (you are being abused, someone is abusing you, you're threatening to kill yourself or someone else, that sort of thing.)

Guidance counselors are not (in most states) licensed professionals. They have bachelors or masters degrees, but usually in educational counseling, not in psychology. I don't think there's any ethical requirement for confidentiality like there is for licensed professionals, and I believe that guidance counselors may also be permitted to talk to other staff, though that may vary by state and even by school policy.

You can ask both the psychologist and the counselor about their policies on disclosure, and they should be honest with you.