1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Letter to Roommates

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Owl47, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owl47

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey everyone, this is my current letter to my roommates. I know it's rough and unfinished, but it's late, I'm very tired, and have class tomorrow.(EDIT: today)

ANY AND ALL feedback and comments are welcome. Sorry it's so long.

Dear NAME

I’m writing this letter to inform you of something that I feel is important for you to know. I wish this was not as much as an issue as it seems to be. However, I hope that in doing this I may better myself as a friend and man. Well, I must give you a bit of history before I can get down to business, and I urge you to read through everything carefully.
    Just one year ago this would have been incredibly difficult to put into words or even talk about. Yet, in this year I feel that I’ve grown, especially with the recent aid of a couple of good friends, and that my strength, will, and courage have grown also. Still, I find it much easier to say all of this in writing as my voice would, even by now, be unstable and shaky.
    Looking back on several aspects of my past, including the recent past, there are so many things I wish I could correct, as I believe all of us have. Yet, I feel that most of the turmoil, selfishness, setting up of barriers, and coldness towards things from the trivial to significant has been because of one thing. It’s time I destroy it. It’s time I destroy this façade and begin to live my life as I wish.
    It’s difficult, though, because even when you feel so eager to accomplish something, you must bring into consideration others. Even now, there are certain people in my life I feel as though I must protect; from my true self. But I know now that I cannot always sacrifice myself for others, especially when that sacrifice is my own life. This seems vague but will make more sense later, especially concerning my greatest fear in writing this letter.
    Okay, so back to my history and moving along to the main point. Growing up I’ve had issues with relationships, be them boyfriend-girlfriend, with normal friends, or with family, in that I always tried to play a part that fit. But, for some reasons things never quite fit exactly how I wanted them to, and often ended up rough.
    I always tried to make things work, but I constantly felt something within me trying to speak. However, I’d often silence this voice or ignore it. By doing this, I only strengthened the façade I had put on. I also tried to perfect it by trying to be as much as a man as I could, even if that meant shutting myself off to the people around me, becoming reserved, and drifting away from some people. I would try to keep that voice silent no matter what it took because it wasn’t me. . .it couldn’t be me.
    So, the years continued on and with puberty things became much more difficult. I would not be a freak, I thought, and so I continued to build an image and façade. Unfortunately, even the most carefully tended tasks have their flaws. “Maybe I am a freak” I’d think, but I would never let these thoughts stay alive too long. Then back I went to burning them down and building my character, image, and façade all up.
    One day I had particular trouble with keeping thoughts out of my head. I was ignorant, stupid, and just plain dumb, but I thought “If I can’t silence these thoughts once and for all, maybe it’s time I just silence myself once and for all.” Fortunately, that brief dark thought left the next day, as I was pretty busy at the time.
    I couldn’t silence the thoughts I had on my own, I had to keep busy. So began my quest to drown out my deepest troubles with a hundred other worries, issues, and problems that weren’t as hard to deal with. This was high school. I began to keep busy with all sorts of clubs and activities just to keep my mind from wandering.
    The summer of 2008, right before freshman year in college, was the year that marked the beginning of the end. The beginning to the end of the reign of the façade and the end of the thing I had foolishly built and called "myself". The end was gradual, however. The one significant thing about this summer is that I had looked into some online resources and support groups with several people like me. I looked for resources on both sides of the argument and conflict I had been facing, but it definitely opened my mind. Eventually, I gave up my research in general.
    Then, college began, and I became caught up in the newness of it. However, around December, things with Aaron, my first dorm roommate, went downhill, so I begin spending most of my time on my computer again. I revisited the sites I had before, but primarily the site I had considered “the bad side of the argument” and looked over stories that were similar to mine as well as stories that were very different. I also began to talk to people, some of which who were or had been in similar situations as mine.
    Then, my denial kicked in again. I faced the same conflict as before, only this time I began to hate the group of people who were most like me. I would never be like them, and would not allow myself to turn into some kind of strange animal. Inner conflict ensued, and this mixed with horrible living situations with Aaron made me feel lost, alone, and full of self loathing and hate. So I left my first dorm and moved into a new one. This is where everything changed.
    Patrick and James were my new roommates. It was at first odd because they were very different from the types of people I had associated with. Then, things began to change a bit and I started feeling happier. Of course, the inner conflict continued, but several other problems I had been dealing with were lifted off my shoulders.
    Eventually, I began to trust Patrick and James, but especially Patrick, and considered them close friends. Then, one weekend right before spring finals, I was chatting online to one of the friends I had talked to on a support site I had visited. The chat wasn’t long, but I told him about wanting to tell Pat what I had been dealing with and going through. My friend urged me to tell Pat, and so I promised the friend I would. It was 12:00am, June 9th, 2009. Five hours later, I had built up the courage to tell Pat about everything I was going through, as well as my uncertainty, fear, and anger. Fortunately, he was extraordinarily supportive and has been ever since. This was the day a bit of the monster that I had been keeping caged so long showed more of itself than ever before. It was a spark of light, a spark of who I really was.
    Summer went by and was incredibly difficult for me. Without support I found myself in and out of denial again. But still, I continued to look at the support site which did both good and bad things for me as it gave me hope and made me angry towards what I didn’t want to become.
    Then the school year started and all of us moved in. I have to say, with all due respect, some of you have given me the most fear and reason for self loathing. Not all of you, but definitely some. As such, forgive me for what I am about to tell you. Forgive me for lying to you for so long. Forgive me for not being as good as a friend, man, and human being as I should be, as I could be. It’s not until very recently that I have finally come to terms with this, once and for all. I know this will change my life forever, but it’s something that must be done. Out of pure respect for you and out of pure respect for me, it’s time I told you something about myself. Forgive me, my friend, for not being honest, forgive me for everything I have done that is arrogant, selfish, cold, and stupid. I can’t let these lies to both you, the world, and myself go on any longer. This is it: I am gay.
    This is the first time I have been able to put those letters into writing without feeling like vomiting, repulsed, or nervous. It’s odd that something so simple can be responsible for so much hurt. But, it’s done. I vow to be the best man I can be. No, not the standard cultural definition of a man, but a true man. A man who is comfortable with himself and tries to better himself, even though he may struggle from time to time. No more building a façade with what I believe would make up for what I am, because there is nothing to make up. I simply am.
    [back to stories, issues with masculinity/homophobia, won’t hit on the/reassure them, don’t tell parents, etc.]

2. Jim1454

I can't even bring myself to read that - I think it's too long. Surely you can convey what you need to convey to your room mates in a shorter version. If you can't, then perhaps a conversation rather than a letter is required.

3. Zumbro

Thanks for saying that Jim. I was going to, but didn't want to be too mean. :frowning2:

But yeah, to me it is far too long and rambly, and it takes forever for you to say what you're trying to. They don't need to know your life's story, and they'll probably come talk to you about it at some point, but I think the fact that you didn't even write the entire thing (you had a "to be continued" at the bottom essentially) means you need to trim it down a bit.

4. The Paradigm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Please use the space bar to separate paragraphs. :slight_smile:

5. Phantasma

You go through ten paragraphs (at least, I think it counted as ten.. hard to tell with no spacing) before actually telling them that you are gay/what the subject matter is. You might want to revise that. They are going to get impatient if seven or eight paragraphs into their reading they still don't know what point you're aiming for.

#5 Phantasma, Jan 28, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let me be even more blunt.

Way.
    Too.
    Fucking.
    Long.

You finally say you're gay in paragraph FOURTEEN. If I didn't know any better, I'd say you were hoping they'd give up reading it, so you could SAY you told them via letter even if they never actually got to that part.

If I've learned one thing with the whole "coming out" business, it's this - people take a cue from you. If you treat it like it's a horrible big secret, they'll react like it is. If you treat it like it's no big deal, they'll react like it isn't. Your letter indicates that it's a HUGE deal, despite your protestations in Paragraph One that you wish it weren't.

I'm reading between the lines here (which is odd in a letter this long), but it would appear a few of your roommates have been tossing around some homophobic comments. (That IS where the "given me reason for self-loathing" stuff comes into play, right?) If that is indeed an issue, make that your focus. Here's a substitute letter. Change it as you see fit.

Roomies -

Writing you this note to let you know I'm having some issues with you. I'm hearing some "he's a fag" talk and "that's so gay" comments from you all. As it happens, I'm gay, and that sort of thing pisses me off. Can I ask you to cut it down, at the very least while I'm around? Thanks. - Owly

ps Still not out to parents or other friends, so let me do that on my own time. Thanks.

Lex

7. Zumbro

Personally, I want to see how someone would react if you just gave them a full page printed sheet of paper with sparkles and giant rainbow lettering saying "I'm gay!". And then add the lolface, just for fun. Not how I did it, but I thought about it :grin:

Anyways, make sure they're sober too though. telling drunk people doesn't work out. I had to tell one of my friends 3 times before she remembered...

8. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, it's long. Very long. You already knew that in advance, and others have told you as much.

The crime isn't necessarily in being long (my letters tend to be longish too), but in the facts that

- You repeat yourself a lot. It's a lot of paragraphs saying basically: when I was really young, I was troubled. In year one of middle school, I was troubled. In year two of middle school: still troubled. High school: drowned out my thought. Last year of high school: was still troubled etc... All of that can be conveyed in one paragraph easily

-You give a lot of details they don't know, and perhaps shouldn't know. It's a story like the Patrick and James story that you tell in response to their questions ("who did you tell first" is a common question people ask). A letter should be an invitation to talk further, not a biography after which they know everything about you.

- You're saying: "this is a big fucking deal". If you say it like that, it will be a big fucking deal. But it doesn't have to be. You're basically telling them that you don't like vanilla, you like chocolate. Simple as that. Keep it simple, and they will see that you're at ease with it.

And the main, capital crime in any coming out letter: you excuse yourself for being gay. You ask for forgiveness. NEVER do that! The message should be one of being atr ease with it, and wanting them to get to know all of you because you value them as friends and roommates. You never failed them. You're just opening up to them a bit more.

I'd consider trying to rewrite it in five paragraphs or less. This might take a complete rewrite, but I tried taking the scissors to the letter as it is now. I'm arriving at something like the following:

I'm not saying that you should send the above as is. It could be a template for a new letter, though. It conveys everything you want to say without hitting them with a wall of text. After that, they know. The ice is broken. The story of your life can be told if they ask for it.

I know that it's a bit harsh to shoot down such a heartfelt letter, but brevity really is better in this case!

9. Sylver

I have to say as a student of marketing, there's more than a grain of truth in this. The best businesses know that short, sweet and blunt gets the message across much better than a long diatribe. Everything you wrote may be what you want (or even need) to say, but it's a whole lot more than they need (or want) to hear. Short and sweet will go a long way!

Plus another trick of marketing from the psychological side, you can very much influence how people react to news - any news - by how you present it. I love to joke around with my marketing partner that she's so good that she could turn the message "Your dog just died" into a happy occasion! It's all in the delivery. If you come across as anxious and uncomfortable before you get to what you're actually trying to tell them, you're likely to make them anxious and uncomfortable by the time they read what you're actually trying to tell them.

There you go - coming out is a marketing exercise! I wonder if gay MBA's have an easier time with it...

10. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wrote my parents and some friends letters. I havent given mine to my parents but I did give my friends the ones I wrote them. Looking back, it was stupid. I made a huge deal out of something that, in reality, wasnt all that huge of a deal.

A few times in reading this, it sounded like you were going to kill yourself or something. Like you were killing a part of who you are or something like that. I think you need to start with saying you're gay in the first or second paragraph and then explain SOME things. You dont need to explain everything. They'll probably want to talk to you when you give it to them, so leave something for that discussion.

Like Lex said, if you act like it's no big deal, neither will they.

Personally i'm at a stage right now where I cant decide if I should give my parents a letter like I planned or tell them in person. Sometimes I feel like I wanted to write them a letter because I wasnt read or willing to face the awkwardness of coming out in person. But the more I think about it, if I dont talk to my parents after I tell them, it could be just another thing brushed under the rug that we dont talk about, and I dont know about you, but i'd rather not have that happen. Nothing worse than being out of the closet to people then having to feel like you still need to censor yourself completely.

11. Owl47

Out Status:
    Some people
    Haha, okay okay. Thanks to those of you who read through it too. So I was tired and had this stream of thoughts. It doesn't help that it's not finished either. What you guys said is understandable, though. I know I can condense the "Biography" paragraphs into one(I need to including some bio background, though, because I knew a couple of my roommates since middle/elementary school), and I'll cut out several things. You guys make a good point about not making it a big deal, I'll fix that. I did feel I was too vague at points and repetitive, but I wanted to push the issue without saying it. I can just take that out and cut to the chase.

Thanks for the help! I'll fix it then post it on here for feedback again. Length is definitely gonna be shortened(I looked at word count and it was over 1500 O_O that's longer than most essays I've written).

12. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh yeah, and you don't need to apologize to them... You have nothing to apologize for. You were simply surviving in a time of inner confusion. If you apologize, it makes it seem like you've done something wrong, and that's not how you'll want people to see it.

13. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You might want to push the issue but what's the issue? to me it seems like you're maybe a little bitter about having to hide it from them. It sounds almost like you're saying they made you feel really bad and you're trying to make them feel bad now for doing it... This isnt something anyone needs to feel bad about... Telling them that you had a hard time your whole life with this probably wont win any sympathy, or do anything beneficial for anyone, so dont talk about it. Just talk about yourself in a positive way. Say it was really hard for you to come to terms with and you've been pretending to be someone you're not for a long time but you'd like to turn a new leaf and be honest with people. Mention that you'd like to talk to them about it, and you're happy to answer any questions.

If your roommates are not going to accept you after saying that, NOTHING will win their acceptance (except for time and patience)

14. Owl47

Out Status:
    Some people
    Here is the new, 1000+ word shortened, version of the unfinished rough draft(there are one or two more paragraphs, probably one just telling them they can ask any questions they may have).

I’m writing this letter to inform you of something that I feel is important for you to know. I wish this was not as much as an issue as it seems to be. However, I hope that in doing this I may better myself as a friend and man and help some of you deal with issues you may have. Well, I must give you a bit of history before I can get down to business, and I urge you to read through everything carefully. Just one year ago this would have been incredibly difficult to put into words or even talk about. Even now, I am writing this letter because if I were to tell you this in person I would be feeling faint, and my voice would likely be unstable and shaky. First I need to give you some background.

Okay, so back to my history and moving along to the main point. Growing up I’ve had issues with relationships, be them boyfriend-girlfriend, with normal friends, or with family, in that I always tried to play a part that fit. But, for some reasons things never quite fit exactly how I wanted them to, and often ended up rough. I always tried to make things work, but I constantly felt something within me trying to speak. However, I’d often silence this voice or ignore it. By doing this, I only strengthened the façade I had put on. I also tried to perfect it by trying to be as much as a man as I could, even if that meant shutting myself off to the people around me, becoming reserved, and drifting away from some people. I would try to keep that voice silent no matter what it took because it wasn’t me. . .it couldn’t be me. So the years of middle school and high school flew by, and I kept busy with several things that helped me keep my mind off my own thoughts.

There so many things in my past that I wish I could correct, as I believe all of us have. Yet, I feel that most of the turmoil, selfishness, setting up of barriers, and coldness towards things from the trivial to significant has been because of one thing in my life. It’s time I destroy it. It’s time I destroy this façade and begin to live my life as I wish. Nearly seven months have passed since admitting I had an issue with this to someone, but I’ve finally become comfortable enough with myself and who I am to tell you this. I’ve finally accepted this as part of myself. It’s odd that something so simple can be responsible for so much hurt in my life. But it shouldn’t have been. It shouldn’t be. I’m gay.

15. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I still think you're going about it wrong.

There's nothing wrong with what you've written per se. It's well-written, and has dramatic arc and inner turmoil and whatnot. But that's not the point. You're not trying to provide a compelling story, and honestly, I don't think you need to get into your inner turmoil unless you really think they'll much more likely to respond to that part than to a simple declarative statement. You seem to be focusing far more in creating a well-written essay, and less on accomplishing what it's ostensibly meant to do - telling your roommates you're gay. It ends up reading like...well, it's like writing a laundry list by starting "Despite our belief that one's supplies can keep one going indefinitely, there comes a time when one must face up to the inevitable fact that they're called 'perishables' for a reason", followed by a bit about how hard it hit you when you found you were out of eggs, and how this issue has been haunting you since you were young when...

You see what I mean? I'm not saying you have to just scribble "I'M GAY" on a couple of Post-Its and place it on their foreheads. But I think you can still scale it way down. I can't picture somebody responding to your letter any better than to a simple thing like what I wrote above. Admittedly, I don't know your roommates, and maybe they DO respond much better to well-crafted pieces of prose. But I'm guessing that's not really the case.

Lex

16. Owl47

Out Status:
    Some people
    I understand Lex, but I've known most of them for far too long. I feels as though I have to give them a bit of an insight into what I've been feeling and going through rather than coming out of nowhere(no pun intended). LOL @ example, I understand my writing often turns into unnecessary fluff, but I just want to give examples of how things are. What would you suggest regarding scaling down?

17. Zumbro

It's definitely better than the beginning, but it still seems melodramatic to me. If you play it off as something huge, it is much more likely to be. If you act like it doesn't matter, it's less likely to. Also, don't call it an issue. It isn't an issue, it's just that they get to know a bit more about you. Issues are bad, and this is good. Read it through as if it were a letter from one of your friends, and I think you'll see that it's making a huge issue out of something that shouldn't be an issue at all. Also, ask them to come talk to you after they've read it, if you want, that way you know they got the message.

18. Jim1454

Give them a short note like what Lex suggested and tack on the end that if they'd like to talk more about it you'd love to tell them how this played out over a beer.

Nobody expects us to have come to this realization easily. All of us have struggled to come to terms with this aspect of our lives. And most people that we tell understand that without us having to spell it out for them. Never has there been a story here in EC about a friend saying "I'm totally cool with you being gay, but I'm never going to speak to you again because you didn't tell me sooner!"

They get that. They know that you're telling them because only now you feel comfortable doing so.

19. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I'm in the same situation you are where my roommates may or may not know i'm gay, and i'm trying to find the right way to tell them. But giving them a long letter is out of the question. They live with you. It's been my experience that people you live with know more about you than most people do. They see you when you're at home and when you're most comfortable. Chances are they've already seen the turmoil, even if you think you've hid it well. These things show more clearly than you might think. There's probably a pretty good chance they already suspect you're gay, even if you've told them otherwise.

Gay people make such a big deal about being gay, but really, to the rest of your peers, it's no big deal. It's being sure that YOU'RE ready to come out that's difficult. I havent told my roommates but started just being myself around them (I'm not the type of person who talks about hot guys all the time or anything, but i do say things every now and then). I should tell them, and even though i'm not hiding anything anymore really, I'm still not ready to tell them.

If you really want them to know and NEED them to know, then you should make it plain and simple.

Say "For most of my life I have had this inner turmoil going on, where I tried to hide things that I am because I was scared of what other people might think. It hasnt been easy to deal with and it's taken me a while to accept it myself. The truth is, I am gay. You may have noticed, or not, I dont know. I hope you can accept this. Let's talk about it some time, I cant live a lie any longer though."

Something like that. You're not giving them your life's story, just letting them know what's up. You being gay is NOT a big deal. It's a big deal to you because you have to live with it, but to other people, it just means you like guys instead of girls. Only really homophobic people have a problem with it, and a lot of the time when they know someone who's gay, their eyes are opened.

20. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Pretty much, yeah. If you want to say "It's taken me some time to work up the nerve to tell you this" before "I'm gay", fine, but that sentence will do the trick. Keep it casual. You're not ADMITTING you're gay. You're not CONFESSING you're gay. Admissions and confessions are for things you have a reason to be ashamed of. So don't take the attitude that this is something you should be ashamed of, even if you haven't gotten beyond that shame yet.

"Guys, it's taken some time for me to work up the nerve to tell you this, but I'm gay. I still haven't told X Y and Z yet, but they're next on my list, so please let me talk to them in my own time. Thanks."

Lex

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.