1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I a hippocrite??

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by x2x2x2x2y2, Feb 1, 2010.

1. x2x2x2x2y2

Ok so I was talking to my mom the other day and she said that when my brother was like 13 or 14, he had sex with his (girl) cousin. I thought this was really wrong but then I put myself in my brothers shoes but with a boy cousin. And I think that two boy cousins having sex is ok but not a boy and a girl cousin. Am I wrong for having double standards?? Although there is the chance of pregnancy with a girl, that's not the reason I think it's wrong. I don't really know why I think it's wrong, I just do. I feel bad for thinking this way.

2. The Paradigm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Incest is not the best."

Yes, for having double standards.
    Girl + Boy
    Boy + Boy
    Girl + Girl

It doesn't matter. The fact is, you shouldn't be having sexual relations or love interest in family members. Not just because of the law but because of the biological factors as well. However, experimentation and exploration of another siblings body does happen, it usually is spur of the moment and rarely happens again. It's not supposed to be an ongoing thing.

Then, let me ask why is it okay for only non-hetero siblings to have relationships? What is it that makes it okay?

#2 The Paradigm, Feb 1, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  3. Sylver

I refuse to post a reply to this on the grounds of potential self-incrimination...

:icon_redf

4. s5m1

Yes you are. :slight_smile:

5. Shevanel

No, You're not a hippocrite.

You are however a hypocrite. This kinda reminds me of Perez Hilton's theory on how bisexuality doesn't exist. In which he said Girls can be bi, and guys can't.

6. Eleanor Rigby

I just wondered, are relationships illegal between cousins in the US ? Because in France it's legal. My grand-parents are cousins and married for the past 62 years.

7. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Some states have marriage between cousins legalized I believe.

8. AmunRa

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I believe only 17 states prohibit marriage between first cousins, the remaining 33 allow it.

Interestingly enough President Martin Van Buren was married to his first cousin once removed.

Getting back to the point though, yes, it is a double standard. Pregnancy is not an issue as there is enough genetic variation between first cousins to avoid birth defects and other incest related complications. It is simply taboo in certain cultures.

9. littledinosaurs

Re: Am I a hypocrite??

This.
    On the topic of incest, I still believe it's rude to say that it's wrong cause you never know who has had it in their linage and whom you may be offending by saying it is wrong.

10. x2x2x2x2y2

I believe that two guy cousins "fooling around" with each other is ok but not girl and guy cousins. I don't believe in cousins getting married or dating, just fooling around. I feel like I have to decide if I think all incest is ok or none is ok. I hate people with double standards. >_>

11. I'm just having a hard time wondering why its okay for gay guys (perhaps even gay girls too) too "fool around" and experiment, but not a guy and a girl?

I'm not condoning cousin on cousin sexual behavior, but if you think its okay for a guy and guy to fool around with not strings attached, why not a girl and a guy?

12. The Paradigm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You still haven't said WHY you think it's okay.
    So they can't marry or date, but sex is allowed.

Well, saying one incest type is okay, and the other isn't is, in my own opinion, much like many anti-gay people cherrypicking which parts of the Bible to follow and which ones can be ignored.

Please don't hate yourself.
    It's not healthy.

13. x2x2x2x2y2

I honestly am not sure why I think it's ok. Maybe because I'm gay, gay sex between cousins is ok but not straight sex. Now before someone says "well I'm gay and don't agree with that", just remember I think that's part of the reason I think it's ok, not the whole reason. Maybe I'm a bit hetereophobic??

14. The Paradigm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That may very well be.

It also kinda reminds me of the arguments that go like this,

"Two guys having sex is just gross and wrong."

15. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :lol:

That's hilarious!

I don't really see anything wrong with cousins fooling around if you take away/discount the pregnancy risk, unless the cousins happen to live in the same household like brothers and sisters. I guess you could object in the boy/girl case on the basis of gendered power dynamics, though.

If you aren't dealing with the problem of inbreeding (either because both cousins are boys or both cousins are girls or the hetero cousins are being smart and using protection), then really it seems to me that the incest taboo is more about avoiding fucked up family dynamics (like the intergenerational issue of being involved with a parent or aunt or uncle). If the two people are close in age and don't cohabitate, I think the biggest issue is that the taboo is really, really strong and you can bet very few people will be open-minded about their relationship if it becomes public knowledge.

Well that and the fact that birth control is not 100%. But then as people have said, genetically the problem with first cousins having children is that if you keep having such relations over generations (royal families in Europe), you begin to see problems. A one-off situation is not super-serious genetically (from what I've heard).

Still, I wouldn't want to be the person who has to tell people they got their cousin Jane pregnant.

16. Shevanel

^
    Psychological Ramifications. Thats what else happens.

17. KittyBoy

Maybe the basis of your double standards stems from the fact that your brother had sexual relations with a female cousin, meaning that there was the possibility that she could have gotten pregnant. While you, on the other hand, had relations with a male cousin, hence no fear of reproduction, hence the belief that you did nothing wrong.

In several societies it is nothing too bad, several of histories most notable people were the result of such relations. Even in some cultures it shows a sign of good breeding, like Comte Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, one of the most famous Parisian Artists. In others it is religious, the Jewish allow and recognise marriages between first cousins.

#17 KittyBoy, Feb 1, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  18. stratavos

oakville(college) and oshawa(hometown) ont, Canada
    ... uugh I'm torn on this too. the easily recognizable problem with incest is if generations of babies come of it, so a homosexual relationship with a first cousin doesn't strike me as "wrong", but the social part says it is, and that is often what causes the "psychological trauma" (it wouldn't happen if it were a friend you grew up with).

19. RaeofLite

I saw some pretty girls in Germany when I visited family over there... and then I realized they were related (even distantly) to me and...*sigh* attraction disappearend--END STORY.

:slight_smile:

20. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Slightly incriminated yourself just by saying that hun :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: