1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extended Project Qualification EPQ

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by eXaphania, Feb 2, 2010.

1. eXaphania

eXaphania Guest

Hello all,

I need some advice about.. doing a research project, an EPQ. It's a self governed research project that you write about 5000 words about a topic you decide on, and then you present it and write reflections and etc. There will be a staff supervisor and a presentation (can be as small as 2 people inc your supervisor, or to the entire school etc)

I'm in highschool at the moment, in sixth form in UK. I am not officially out to my parents, although I expect my mother suspects. I don't make a big to-do about my sexual orientation at school, but most people in my year knows (same-sex boarding school).

I want to pursue medicine in university, so I wanted to do a topic that related me to something science-y that I am interested and passionate about. I want to do my EPQ on Homosexuality: Nature, Nurture, Situational.
    There might be a brief introduction into sexual fluidity and the Kinsey scale.
    I plan to explore the various scientific research angles (ie. fetal hormones, correlation between number of brothers and homosexuality, hand shape, discussion on the gay gene, twins etc) regarding the nature aspect.
    For nurture, I am planning to explore shock therapy, church reorientation(?) programs, gay adoption.
    For situational, I would like to take a closer look at jail/boarding school/military situational homosexuality.

My main dilemma is would doing this project put me at a disadvantage in school, in university interview situations where they are inevitably curious about EPQ projects in general regardless of topic. Should I go and pick a 'safer topic'? This isn't really a step out of the closet if I stay objective, but how scary is this going to be. Should I go ahead with this? And any input into further ideas to explore within my topic would be nice discussion points for inspiration please.

If I do decide to go ahead with this, would it be appropriate to get a few quotes and people's opinions on subjects here in EC?

Many thanks,
    eX

2. Ben

Ben

Hey eX!
    I never took the EPQ but I know a few people who do. It's definitely not unsafe to do something away from the norm. If anything, it's best to stay away from the obvious mainstream subjects and do something a bit edgy and definitely with a personal significance. And yours sounds especially well planned out so I definitely think you should go for it.
    I think if you remain confident in yourself with this then of course you'll be able to pull it off! You certainly seem intelligent enough.