1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just a phase

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by prismaticlight, Feb 2, 2010.

1. I have been concerned that my identity as a gay man is just a phase. After searching the web I have discovered that many people experience such thoughts. Has anyone here had similar thoughts?

2. Sylver

Oh my God, I don't know how many YEARS I spent thinking and hoping that it was just a phase and that it would eventually "go away". Boy, was I wrong! In fact, all I accomplished with that was wasting those many years when I could have been enjoying them as who I really am. Now I'm playing catch-up...

I can 100% guarantee you that you're not alone in thinking that!

3. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

I'll be perfectly honest with you it may very well be a phase; anything is possible. But here's the part I want you to see closely: It's extremely improbable that it's a phase. Sexuality is fluid and may change over time, but it's doubtful that you'll make a complete switch from gay to straight. If you're into men in some form, evidence (experiences from others and research compiled) shows that it's probable that you will always be into men in some form.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I first noticed that guys were "doing it for me", I in fact approached it as "just a phase", and prepared to ride it out. Around six months later, when absolutely nothing had changed, I decided that it appeared the phase was going to be pretty long-lived, and assumed at that point that it'd last forever. And so far, it has.

Lex

5. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

You just have to be honest with yourself. Do you want it to be a phase? It seems like when people say "it's just a phase" they are talking about teenagers. I think by 30 you are usually set. You may though not be completely gay. But again, if your only reason for thinking its a phase is because you want it to be so, you may end up waiting and wasting a lot of years.

6. I would hate it if it is just a phase. If it was I don't think I would have gotten so excited flirting with the good looking cashier at Petsmart this morning.

Basically what I'm doing is getting rid of all my delusional thoughts. They serve me no good.

I am seriously thinking about going to my friends house this week. I know him and his wife will be easy to come out to. I don't think it is appropriate to come out on the phone. I want to respect them and do it in person. It is going to be awesome to add two more people to my out status.

This thread is a way to examine my thoughts.

#6 prismaticlight, Feb 2, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2010
  7. There is no point to this thread.

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Two ways of saying the same thing. :slight_smile:

Lex