1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meeting with distiny lol

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by fabu2113, Feb 3, 2010.

1. fabu2113

fabu2113 Guest

i had a few question i wanted to share for anyone outthere that has been to a pflag.in my state they hold the meetings 2 days every month and i missed one but im sure that i will go the next dated time.my question was has any one been to a glbt meeting of some sort in this case a pflag meeting for the first time.and how did it go and what they do?i would surely apreciate any sort of comments and answers of all kind.also i wanted to thank every one that commented and took the time to read any thread i have posted.(!)(*hug*)

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I haven't had the chance to go to a PFlag meeting yet but I have been to another local LGBT group's meetings. The first time I went to attend a meeting, it was pretty uneventful. We had an intro round after which planned events and activities that the group wanted to do were discussed.

The meeting could be about updating members what the group has been up to and what is planned for the upcoming weeks or months. At times the meeting can also be about sharing coming out stories or experiences. It is actually quite interesting listening to coming out experiences of others.

I think it is great that you are planning on going. Joining a PFlag chapter or a LGBT group can actually be a great experience as you get the chance to get to know others and might just make a few new friends. It is a place where you can really be yourself. If they have social events outside of their regular meeting times, maybe join in. :slight_smile:

If you are nervous before going in, just take a deep breath and take the step into the meeting room.

Let us know how your first meeting goes! (*hug*)

3. mischa91

The pflag chapter i've been to was great. I emailed asking about dates about a month before i went and the woman who met me at the door remembered me and introduced me to some people. You can either go to the group support if you need it or listen to the talk they have going on. So far i've been to two support groups; the next time i might listen to the speaker.

I have to say that the first meeting i went to was so amazing that i immediately came out of it wanting to come out to friends and parents, i just had a huge grin on my face afterwards. Actually after that meeting i came out to my friend :slight_smile:

Good luck if you decide to go and don't worry about being nervous, everyone's nervous the first meeting but they make you feel very welcome.

4. EM68

I've gone to several PFLAG meetings in my area. I would love to go still but with my work schedule I can't. It helped me a lot. It was very cathartic. I had joined EC but I needed to talk to people and express my feelings. They gave me the strength to start to come out to my family and friends.

The meetings are great. Usually they would start by discussing any LGBT topics that are in the news. Then everyone introduces themselves and tell them why they are there. If you don't want to talk the first time you go you don't have to. After that the form is open. I spent a lot of time discussing my coming out issues. One thing to know is that everything that is discussed is kept in the room. I highly recommend going. If you do good luck and let us know what happens. :slight_smile:

5. Emberstone

I have tried to find pflag meetings in my area, but it seems a few of the more local groups surrounding me are in flux... or where the last time I checked.