1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homophobic dad

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by WaterGuy121, Feb 4, 2010.

1. WaterGuy121

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    when i got home with my parents, my dad started yelling nd swearing at me, saying i "walk like a girl" wtf hes so dumb, seriously

he always acts that way fml :frowning2:

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I'm sorry to hear that your dad said that and that your dad treats you this way! (*hug*)

Was your dad accepting when you came out to him? Maybe give him some more time to come around. Hopefully he will come around. Maybe try giving him some PFLAG material to read. Try talking to him as well.

Have you talked to your mum about it? Maybe when you decide to talk to your dad, maybe ask your mum for support.

3. Johnnieguy

But he knows you're gay? (based on your OUT status)

Try talking to him politely. Tell him you don't walk like a girl, you walk like you. Or try the old argument that there's nothing "wrong" with walking like a girl.. They are every bit as equal to men, even if not everyone treats them that way.

Saying that you walk like a girl is meant to make you feel bad because women are "lesser" than men. You are supposed to want to change because why on earth would you want to "be like a woman". It sounds like he is more sexist than homophobic (unless he degrades you in other ways about your sexuality).

Work on getting him to change his attitude toward women and homosexuality. It won't change overnight. It will take time, but this seems like one of those situations when the child is more grown up than the adult. Take the opportunity to show your maturity and educate him. Just because he's an adult and a parent doesn't make him right, or an all-knowing authority. No one stops learning. Ever.

4. Holmes

Try to tell him that it doesn't bother you how you walk, or anything else about your personality, and that you hope to have a happy life. Tell him flat out that all his shouting at you isn't going to change you one bit.

5. WaterGuy121

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    yeah that is sooooooo wat i wanted to say
    i was thinking "ur such n idiot nd im not gonna stop doing wat i do just for u, cuz u think im "walking like a girll" well i think im walking normal lol"

or somethin like that

anyways yeah im out to my parents but my dad keeps trying to convince me im straight lol nd my mom isnt "supportive" either sooooooo fml

6. Just Adam

just tell him " yea well atleast i dont have a limp like you"

like a donkey with 1 leg .

he will shut up and spend liek an hour infront of a mirror checking how he walks before asking your mum in a nervous tone.

but im evil

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "This is my natural walk. I'm not going to try to 'walk straight' just so you won't be embarrassed. I'm going to be me."

Lex

8. Bryan44

My dad told me the same thing when I was younger, like 8-9 years old. He told me I need to watch how I "carry myself" because I was a boy and boys don't walk like that. He said something about the way my arms move when I walk? Idk what the heck he was talking about. But I did change the way I walk after hearing him complain about it enough. Now all I can say is that I may not WALK gay, but Im still gay..Sorry dad :slight_smile:

9. WaterGuy121

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    yeah u ppl r right :slight_smile:
    hmmmm im not gonna say anything atm
    cuz he hasnt mentioned it since then