1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confronting a teacher about classroom incidents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by notquitebutch, Feb 5, 2010.

1. notquitebutch

Long story short, 2 days ago, there was something that really bothered me in my History class. Every day, we copy down a few things that happened on the current date in a previous year. The one that made me angry was that Massachusets (i think.) legalized gay marriage. Obviously, it wasn't the fact itself that bothered me, it was the class reaction.

Bascially, everyone was just like, "OH EW GAYS WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT!" And our teacher was explaining how state vs federal laws work, and at one point he said, "Of course, it's not like they're going to go around arresting every gay couple that gets married and throw them in jail!" and someone shouted "WELL THEY SHOULD." That's the clearest one I remember, because I was really upset. I was just trying not to cry :'D

My teacher didn't necessarily support the comments, but he didn't say anything either, and he usually stops people saying other things if they're racial, or if someone has something like ADHD. So I sent him an anonymous email.

Do you think that's ok to send emails like this? I've sent two in the past to other teachers thanking them for sticking up for gay kids, but never 'attacking' one for not doing that. He didn't really treat me differently today, so I don't think he knows it was me, but he hasn't responded, either, which is disappointing. I just feel like if he reads it and stops it next time, maybe not even for me, but for another kid, I'll make a tiny bit of a difference.

2. The Paradigm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. Very PC, and to the point. I would not omit anything.

Also, I would hope he answers or reads his email. Otherwise he may not know he has one.

3. notquitebutch

I saw him at his computer reading something today and was a little hopeful, but when I actually looked at the screen it was sports stats. u__u; I hope he does too, because I really do love this guy. He'd be so much cooler.

4. The Paradigm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I applaud your bravery Miss Butch. :slight_smile:

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I applaud you for standing up to the teacher and asked the teacher to step in when homophobic remarks are being made.

That said, I would have phrased the e-mail differently. Yes, the teacher should have acted and should have stepped in and said something, but if you want a response or a 'positive' feedback it is important that you do phrase the e-mails in a way that they don't come over as being an attack on a teacher or coming over as being unfriendly in tone in places.

If you are angry or upset when writing the e-mail, wait until some of that anger has passed, then write the e-mail. I would also say when you do write an e-mail to a teacher, try not to call other students jackasses or use foul language. The better you can phrase your e-mails, the greater impact your message will have. :slight_smile:

6. notquitebutch

Thanks, both of you :slight_smile:

That was a choice I had to make, tone wise. I was either going to send it with my name politely, or kind of bitchy anonymously, and I went with the second option because it really got the point across much more clearly ^^; Plus, he's the kind of teacher who will be crude sometimes, so I didn't think he'd mind too much.

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Honestly, I would have picked the more friendlier tone, even anonymously.

If you want your message to have an impact and for someone to really think about it and more importantly take it seriously, a more friendlier message will achieve that. You can bring your points across clearly in a more friendlier message too. :slight_smile:

But oh well...you have already sent it. I guess just wait now for what the teacher might say the next time or what he might say in his reply.

8. Sylver

I'm proud of you for being concerned about how your teacher reacted (or failed to react), and I'm even prouder that you decided you had to do something about it. You might be able to use diplomacy to your advantage a little more in the future because it can often get better results, but I think it's more important that you took action period. Too many of us are guilty of sitting on our hands when we or others are wronged rather than speaking out. The world needs more people like you! :thumbsup:

9. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Regardless of the words you used your message was the same, I think. I totally love what you did. It frequently takes time for humans to "adjust" to "reality." This may be a bit over the top of an example, but remember that Jesus worked with St. Peter for over three years, and in the end, Peter still fled as quick as he could when the bad guys came and arrested Him. So, your teacher needed to hear what you expressed. It may take a bit of time for the depth of the message to sink in. But THE MESSAGE HAS TO BE SENT. A friend of mine was told he would go to hell for being gay. My friend was told this when he was in the third grade! He was told this by his teacher. He attended a Catholic grade school. While this teacher spoke from what she thot was church dogma, she was only partially correct. She forgot the part that teaches that our NO. 1 Mission In Life Is To LOVE One Another. She got caught up in old testament rule, rules, rules. Imagine the horror of being told this from your third grade teacher! "forgive them, father, for they know not what they do" comes to mind. All the same, we must do what we can to prevent the harm from being repeated.

Pet peeve, nahhh... why would you think that!

Nice job, sorry you hit one of my hot buttons.

But yes, teach the teachers! matt

10. notquitebutch

Lol thank you guys :slight_smile: I've given up on wanting a response, but I'll be sure to update if I ever do get one, in person or in email.