1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need some advice for my best friend - rumors.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Glunn11, Feb 5, 2010.

1. Glunn11

Hi EC.
    So my best friend who I've posted requests for advice for in other threads is in need again. We live in a very conservative Mormon community and are both mostly closeted gay. Rumors are spreading about him being gay, and his ex-boyfriend has sent him a message saying that he misses him via Facebook, although my friend blocked him.

I guess I'm just looking for some advice on what to tell him. He isn't in a good mood at all.
    Thanks for your time.

2. Johnnieguy

I would probably try and get him (and yourself) out of the Mormon stronghold of America. Even if you do just go to SLC, that is oddly enough one of the gay meccas..

3. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I concur. The gift of life that each is given was given for us to share with others. We are not to cover the light of our life with a bushel. We are called to let our light shine. Move to where you are safe and get rid of the bushel. (can you tell I'm a recovering Catholic?)

4. Sicsemper79

Rumors are a blessing and a curse in an anti-gay society. They are a curse because the bring on scorn and gossip, but they are a blessing because they might bring on the change that is necessary.

You should be there for your friend and support him, both privately and publicly. I would also encourage both of you to consider a place where there are some outlets for gays. Might be time to move on... the Mormons are experts at shunning people. If these rumors end up getting confirmed it will be hard on him. It's a big world out there and there are some great places to be.

5. Glunn11

Thanks for all the replies. Yes, we're definitely trying to get out of the Mormon bubble as quickly as possible, but we've got 3 more months until graduation. He's probably going to go to Oberlin or Lawrence, both of which are very gay-friendly universities. I, on the other hand, will be going to Utah State University in Logan, UT, which at least has an LGBT group.

I just know he hasn't been happy lately and I guess this explains it. I feel horribly because I accidentally outed him to a girl who inspired me so much I wrote my college admissions essay on her, but apparently she told. Thankfully, the rumor has turned into him telling her, not me, but I still regret that. He hasn't really said whether or not he's mad at me.

Anywho, thanks for the encouragement. With any luck he won't be forced to come out, but only time will tell.