1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future phone call.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by prismaticlight, Feb 7, 2010.

1. I just gave my sister a phone call. She did not answer so I left a message telling her I want to discuss something with her. When she calls back I'm going to tell her I'm gay.

I'm starting to feel selfish by hiding this aspect of myself. I got such a rush telling my therapist. I loved that feeling. I know it won't be an issue with my little sister since she is a self described hippie and has many gay friends.

I have lived in the shadows too long. I think it is too painful to stay in the closet any longer. I know I can tell people and if they are not cool with it I will thank them so I know I can ditch them.

After I tell my sister I'm going to start "freedom week." Freedom week will consist of me telling everyone I spend time with on a frequent basis that I am gay. I will do this in one week or less. I'm gonna try having fun with it. No sense in putting it off any more.

2. adam88

Go for it!:eusa_clap

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hope it goes amazing. :slight_smile:

Lex

4. EM68

Good luck!

5. Sylver

You are brave and bold, my man, brave and bold! I guess for you the train has left the station and there's no turning back. I'd love to hear the details after the week is over!

6. The order of things have changed. It is hard to get a hold of my sister so I figured I would tell my friend Dan tonight on the phone. I thought "Hey he won't mind."

So I get on the phone with him and ask him if he has anything he wants to talk about. He said a few things. We started talking about the blizzard that is going on and other random things. I then said "Dan I'm gay." He started laughing and asked if I'm serious. I said yes. I then start talking about other things to show him its not a big deal. Then he just said he doesn't have anything to talk about and hung up.

I'm kinda bummed now. I was certain this would not even matter with him. I might have to rethink my planned coming out week.

My status is now at three: my psych, friend Dan and his wife

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! First of congrats on coming out to your friend! It took a lot of courage to say the words. I am sorry though that your friend Dan reacted in the way he did. Maybe give it a few days, and if he hasn't called back or e-mailed you maybe give him a call.

Maybe your friend didn't really see this one coming. I mean there is a reason why you thought that he should be accepting and supportive. I hope he will come around though and still be a friend.

As for coming out to your sister, I think if you feel that it will go well, maybe still try coming out to her later during the week. Is there a chance that you could meet with your sister in person?

Don't let your friend's reaction get you down. You have come out because you wanted and needed to. You can never go wrong with that. (*hug*)

8. Sylver

Hmmm... Well, you can't always predict how things will go. But there's always a chance that it just caught him off guard and he wasn't sure how to react. Give him a little time and see if he comes round; your intuition about him may still prove correct.

I think your original plan is still good, just be reasonable in your expectations. I found that coming out can be like riding a wild roller coaster with exhiliarating highs and depressing lows. That's how it was for me, but as I get further into the coming out process, I'm actually trying to take it a little more methodically and with a bit of a plan, just to level out those highs and lows - they were making me a little queasy!

You might want to consider coming out next to people who are close to you and who you are sure will be supportive, to give yourself a base from which to grow. That way if one or two go bad along the way, you'll have your "support network" to fall back on, and it won't make the odds quite as daunting. If you're close to your sister and you have reason to suspect that she'll be supportive (as it sounds), you might want to make that your next outing.

But don't let this get you down. The fundamental principle hasn't changed; you still want that good feeling of coming out and you don't like the closet any more. That's good reason to stick with it! :thumbsup:

9. I'm hoping his wife will talk some sense into him. Last week they came over and I started talking about equality. Basically it was just me saying how messed up the world is and that it's sad how people can treat other people. Then his wife said something I was not prepared for "Mike when are you going to come out of the closet?" Later that night I was upset that I blew a perfect opportunity.

They say honesty is the best policy but it can be frustrating. Am I the a$$hole for lying all these years about being straight?

James my sister is going to be my next. I need her for support since I can't always go see my therapist every time I step further out of the closet.

#9 prismaticlight, Feb 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2010
  10. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there!

I think coming out to your sister is a good approach. If you feel ready and you have already called her and left a message, go for it. You have already started creating that opportunity to come out to her.

Sometimes people (good friends. co-workers, family members) need a bit of time to adjust to the 'news' as it were. When I came out to to a friend, she was really surprised because she never suspected that I'm gay. When I told her, she looked at me in disbelief for a few seconds. On a another occasion, a friend of mine was speechless (and usually he is not one that will easily get to the point of being speechless).

Did you blew a perfect opportunity? Honestly, I think you are being way too hard on yourself. It is not easy coming out, in particular when you are put on the spot like that. I wouldn't worry about it. It sounds like that you have a great ally in your friend's wife, which is good. It can only help also your friend to understand you better and come around to it.

Nope, you are not! It ties back to being comfortable with your sexual identity, and with the coming out process. Did you lie? No, not really. You have started opening the doors and you have started a new chapter in your life. And this is what matters. Nothing else! :slight_smile:

You have already accomplished a few things during your coming out process. You are making progress, and this alone is something to be proud of. (*hug*)

11. padre411

You told me I have courage and I thank you for that. You are being no less so now. It is unbelievable how risky the process feels and maybe, in fact, it is risky. Sicsemper79 told me that in a perfect world we would be supported, we would be comfortable with who we are from the get go and we could save a lot of people heartache. But this is not a perfect world and we do the best we can with the hand we've been given. Be gentle with yourself.

12. Sicsemper79

Hey bud! First congrats on telling your friend. Second, I am sorry you were underwhelmed by his reaction. Reading your post it occurred to me that he was just caught a little off guard at how nonchalantly you went about telling him. I suggest you have another convo with him and ask him if he has issues with you being gay. His wife also might be a good avenue... either way, sometimes people take a little time with this stuff. Be patient with him.

Also, don't let this discourage you from telling other people. It sounds like you are ready to start being your true self publicly... if you got one iffy reaction, that is all the more reason to find another person to tell who you are certain will give you a good reaction.

I am also 30 years old... It is tough being an adult and being in the closet. Like you, I have spent a lot of years bullshitting a lot of people. That weighs heavily on my mind, but in the end I feel like my friends will understand. The few that I have told definitely do. I like your plan of kicking the damn door down. Keep your head up! From what you said earlier, it sounds like you are ready... don't let fear get in the way of you living a full and happy life. Good Luck! Let us know how it goes! :thumbsup:

13. Jim1454

Congratulations on having come out to your therapist and for priming the discussion with your sister. That's great!

As other's have said, your friend likely needs some time to come around and digest your news. His wife might be more accepting than he is, so perhaps she would be someone you could talk to next. Remember that it takes a long time for us to come to terms with it, so we shouldn't expect others to come to terms with our news instantly.

Good for you though for deciding to get this overwith. It really is the way to go. Good luck!

14. I got to learn to not be so hard on myself but that takes time like all good things.

I went out this afternoon to get some essentials. I'm in a pretty good mood today. It is feeling really good to be coming out to people but it can still be stressful. My choice to accept myself for who I am is probably the best thing I have done for myself. I'm looking forward to totally leaving the closet.

I was thinking about my friend Dan today. I decided I will wait to talk to him until he calls.

When I got home I saw that my phone was blinking. Dan left me a vm asking if I still want him to come over tomorrow. That made my day!! I called him back and realized he is probably at his martial arts thing so I left a message just telling him of course I want him to come over tomorrow. My intuition has not failed me!!(!)

15. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awesome! :thumbsup:

16. I can't get a hold of my sister that I want to tell. It's a little frustrating. I did find a way to get around the frustration. I was on the phone with my other sister a little bit ago and thought "Hey why not tell her?" So I just worked it into the conversation and said "I don't want to date women anymore. I will be happiest dating men." She just said "Do what you want Mike. I just want you to be happy." That went about as smooth as it can go. I was very nervous but it feels so good to tell people the truth.

I'm happy I'm getting a good support net set up. I am catching people off guard but so far it has all been positive. Once I tell my other sister I will be able to have them backing me for when I eventually tell my parents. I'm in no rush to do that though. Just thinking about it freaks me out.

I am getting a good idea about what courage really is. The fear is still there I'm just trying to not let it affect my decisions too much.

17. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations Mike for coming out to one of your sisters! Glad you could come out and just did it! Glad that it went so well. That's great! :slight_smile:

Yep! Having a strong support network is important and your sisters are an important part of it.

18. Thank you.:icon_bigg

19. Sylver

Mike, I'm going to be perfectly honest with you and say that I like the sound of your post #16 a lot more than your post #1. There are going to be highs and lows in your coming out process, and you sound like you're much better prepared to handle them now. Good luck, and I really mean that! :slight_smile:

20. Thanks James. In post number one I was all pumped up and was a little deluded in thinking coming out would be easy. It is clearly a difficult thing and I don't want to get really stressed out by telling everyone in such a short period. It is scary telling people when you are unsure of their reactions.

I was able to get a hold of my other sister but she was tired so I did not bring it up. She is going to call me tomorrow but I might wait til the weekend when I'm going over to her house to play with her dogs in the snow.

I figure the most important person already knows I'm gay. Me. Only one thing has changed about myself. I'm no longer hiding from my true self. I know my sexuality does not define who I am but I'm so happy I figured it out. Life will still be hard at times but I think I can handle it.

I have a lot going for me and I see being gay as a positive. This site and all the wonderful people here have helped me immensely. I hope I can help others in some way also.

Here is my coming out/motivation song.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPKQKX5JWqY

I love trance(!)