1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

As Much As You Do It, Coming Out Doesn't Get Any Easier

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by perfectscorpio, Feb 7, 2010.

1. perfectscorpio

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I've come out to a few people, more people than I ever thought I would have in the short two months I've been out (to myself). Despite the amount of people I've come out to, coming out still isn't that easy for me. I still feel nervous about the whole thing, even though the people I decide to tell I know won't have a problem with it. I haven't had a negative coming out experience at all, so I don't understand why I'm still nervous about telling people. Maybe I'm just making it such a big deal that I'm making myself nervous. I don't know.

Does anyone else feel the same way?

2. RaeofLite

Well... considering all the 'societal beliefs' that you've been taught to absorb growing up every single day of your life so far.... and then going against those... it can be hard to comprehend for yourself.

THis is why it's hard for many as a gay person to realize they are gay --and accept it., because it defies everything they've believed in to be true up to that point.

...so I think it can get easier in time, but it's different for every one. For me, it's fairly easy when I meet new people to be honest about my life (unless they give off homophobic vibes) or I'm in a work setting. Whereas if I'm speaking to someone I knew in my hometown or someone I knew growing up (who wasn't necessarily a friend), I feel a lot more guarded in what I say or how honest I am..

I don't know if that made any sense?

3. Zach1992

My suggestion is don't directly come out to them. Don't sit them down with the goal of coming out (I know for some people it is required though). Whenever a friend or whoever brings up a girl or something relationship-wise tell them that's not going to work for you & tell them.

4. Gaetan

I am in the exact same boat as you. I'm out to more people than I thought I would be in the roughly six months (wow, has it been that long already...?!) since I came out to myself.

There's really only one group I want to tell left: the half of my college friends I'm not around anymore. In that group there is another who is gay (he already knows about me) and I know that they will not have an issue at all with it.

Yet I'm still scared of it. Last time I spoke to them, my hands were nearly shaking as I tried to overcome the fear I have.

I think, however, it was Filip who told me why this is: I'm afraid of changing their perception of me. My relationship with my friends is one that I value quite a lot. It is a great one, in fact. I don't want to change it at all. Yet, in my mind somewhere, coming out to them might change it.

I just need to convince myself that that wont happen.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I think I can relate a little bit. Even after having been out for over a year now, I do sometimes still feel a bit nervous when I am on the verge of telling someone and I haven't had a negative experience either. But that nervousness maybe lasts for a few seconds and than it goes away.

Given that you have only accepted your sexuality and have started the coming out process only two months ago, there is a good chance that you are still trying to get used to it. With every coming out you are continuing to tear down a wall within you that has protected you for some time.

The more positive experiences you have and the more you socialize with other LGBT youths and with your friends to whom you are out to and accept you and are supportive the easier it will become. Perhaps some nervousness will always be there, because it is something 'private' that you are sharing with someone but over time it won't hold you back and won't have such an influence on you.

One thing that helped me in overcoming a lot of my nervousness and also with feeling more comfortable with the coming out process was joining a LGBT group and a few LGBT social events. Maybe give it some thought as to whether it might also help you....

I hope this helps a bit!

6. adam88

I'm in the same boat. There are a few friends I'd love to know (and a few I'm interested in) - but can never seem to find a way to work it into conversation.

7. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

I feel the same way. I think it is just because you never know with certainty how another person will react. In addition to that, I think I still might have a tiny bit of internal homophobia when it comes to being gay.

8. Sylver

Oh yes, every time. I wouldn't worry about it, I think the butterflies are a natural part of coming out and they remind you that you're alive. I do a lot of public speaking, and the first time I got up in front of a crowd of 100 people, I was a frothing mess of drool. I've spoken hundreds of times since then in front of thousands of people, and even though I enjoy it now, I still get nervous before I go up to speak. I've learned to like that nervousness and to appreciate it; it means I'm on the ball and that what I'm about to do still matters to me. Same with coming out - the day it becomes a ho-hum event for me, I'd worry that I've lost perspective on why I'm doing it.