1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Obnoxious Friend!!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by NeonCookies, Feb 8, 2010.

1. NeonCookies

Well i told my best friend in the whole wide world that i was a lesbian this was a long time ago pretty much when i first realized it and she completely accepts it, but lately she has been really loud about the fact that i am a lesbian i don't know if that makes sense but to give you examples every time and i mean every time me and here hang out in public she is always shouting LESBIAN and DYCK and just being really obscene i mean i really do not care if people know that i am but when i am around a bunch of people i do not know i really don't want her to be shouting that i am if that makes sense i just find it really offensive and rude and it is honestly starting to get on my nerves i don't know why she does this it's almost like she thinks it is cool to have a gay friend? but also she is always making comments about it like i will voice my opinion on something and her reply will be what do you know anyways your just a stupid lesbian? i mean i know she is joking (hopefully) but i still get offended, i do not even seem to have a name anymore to her all she calls me now is lesbian its hey lesbian this and hey lesbian that and she even introduced me to a couple of friends once as hey this is my lesbian and i am just standing there like uhhh i do have a name thank you.

She also came to a glbt dance with me yesterday which was cool but she kept on complaining that, all we do now is gay things which i found funny because that is the only gay thing she has ever done with me other then that we are always going to straight clubs, in a way i kinda think she is homophobic but just does not want to admit it, she told me yesterday that she is going to go and find more straight friends and she said it in such a harsh tone that it really hurt my feelings. But i dont know maybe i am just over reacting about the whole thing

What about you guys does anyone else have friends like this?

2. RaeofLite

I have a guy friend (who happens to be bisexual) and we used to go to college together (he had to drop out this semester). Anyway, he used to introduce me as: "Hey, Lisa meet (so and so). Yea, Lisa's gay." And then smile as if I was some sort of trophy/anomally...

It's possible she doesn't really understand 'being gay' and this is her awkward way of showing it and trying to get used to it. However that is no excuse-you have a name, you're human and as a friend, she should bring out those friend qualities, rather than treat you like this.

Just pull her aside for a sec. Let her know that you care for her as a friend but that you feel she's being awkward about the whole thing. Tell her that you're not interested in her "that" way because you are "just" friends. (Incase that's what she thinks...) And tell her that you'd like her support and that she shouldn't focus in on the fact of who you find attractive even if it is a bit different than what she finds attractive. And let her know you'd like her to call you by your name. :slight_smile:

...as for "focusing on the gay", that's just so you can get some support. Let her know that she's had support being "heterosexual" for her entire life and she basically never has to look very far to see it represented and feel comfortable whereas it's different if you're gay because people stare and some are uncomfortable etc-but at a gay event every one there can immediately relate to one another and it's a nice feeling once in a while to be able to do that.

Sorry if I'm rambling here, I'm just trying to cover all my bases. :slight_smile: I hope that helps. (*hug*)

3. NeonCookies

Yeah that was great advice i will defiantly pull her aside and talk to her thanks :slight_smile: