1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Going tanning, what do I need?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by JurrBurr, Feb 12, 2010.

1. JurrBurr

JurrBurr Guest

Yeah, I just need some information on what I should buy. haha, I've never been and I usually just wait till summer to tan.

Some helpful tips would be:

What kind of lotion?
    How long I should stay in the first time? (I don't burn really easy)
    etc. etc.

Thanks!
    - Jarrod

2. Shevanel

Fake Tanning?

3. RaeofLite

...I wouldn't fake and bake if I were you. :frowning2: UV and artificial light is worse than sunlight for skin cancer. Plus it can look so fake, especially in the off seasons.

4. JurrBurr

JurrBurr Guest

Yes, fake tanning.

I don't plan on going for the rest of my life... I want to get ready for my spring break. Next month... I can't stand people who are orange. I understand the UV rays are much more harmful. But, I'd rather look much better tan when I'm off on spring break. lol

EDIT- Plus I'd rather much be uncomfortable here at home rather than on spring break due to being fried since I plan on going to the Dominican Republic...

#4 JurrBurr, Feb 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2010
  5. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Your skin will thank you if you don't use artificial tanning methods. In any case, this link might help.

6. bouncingsouls

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I use the dye in a bottle type stuff, and seriously its way better than frying, no offence and all.
    The mousse in a can is easiest to apply and looks most natural, but really you want to apply it two or three days in a row, and then use a gradual tanning moisturiser. But i've got irish skin, so I can't really go out in the sun without suncream so I don't really get a choice...

7. Johnnieguy

You need to not go tanning. It's incredibly bad for you. And bring sunscreen with SPF 45 to the DR on your spring break. People will know you're a white boy in the DR whether you have a fake tan or not.

8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Really good medical insurance and SPF 30+ sunscreen.

People don't understand that there is a very, very high correlation between tanning beds, particularly when used by younger people, and melanoma, which is a particularly deadly, aggressive, and fast growing form of skin cancer.

It may seem like "Oh, well, I'll take my chances, and if I get cancer, that will be a long time from now" but as someone who worked with melanoma patients and saw how unpleasant the disease and the treatment is, all I can say is... it isn't worth it.

9. JurrBurr

JurrBurr Guest

I need not look like a DR boy. Never said I did.

--

I appreciate all of your responses, although, I am still going tanning. So I will research it more myself, thanks!

10. It is best to not tan on purpose. Out in the sun wear a wide brimmed hat and very good sunscreen. Tanning just ages your skin and is VERY bad for you. It definitely does not make you more attractive.

11. Milord

Beware of skin cancer...
    My father has skin cancer, he had his second surgery in December because it came back, and this time, it wasn't on his skin. His cheek bone was attacked and they had to remove it. He has a plastic prothesis in his face and a skin draft on his cheek now. He also needs to go through a radiation therapy. It's no fun!
    If it can scare you enough so you avoid tanning, I'd be glad. Save yourself! And if you still do, for God's sake USE A GOOD LOTION!

12. Eleanor Rigby

As others have said, fake tanning using tanning beds is not really a good idea as it could have really bad consequences for your health.
    On the over hand, I have myself a very fair skin and I understand that a bit of tan could be nice for holidays.
    Why don't you try self-tanning lotions ? Some are very effective and you can have several results from very light tan to darker one.
    I would suggest you to read some review on self-tanning lotions to find the one you want to use.
    I personnaly use moisturizing lotion with a bit of tanning lotion inside during spring time, when I just want to have a sun-kissed look and during holidays I use a self-tanning oil for fair-skin wich gives me a more noticeable result, but still natural on my fair skin.
    There is several way to apply them. Easiest ones are in my opinion wipes or sprays.
    I know that showers of self tanning lotion also exist. It might be a nice idea if you want a very even result all over your body.
    Usualy, the effects fade after 4 or 5 days. I personnaly use self-tanning lotion every 4 days all over the summer.
    I hope this would have been useful.
    Take care, Eleanor

13. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well the first thing you need is some real sunlight and UV rays... then you'll probably want a beach and some suntan lotion. =D Fake tanning looks FAKE surprise surprise. Sorry, but in my opinion, people are more beautiful in their real skin. If you have light white skin, then you probably look better like that than all brown. Sure I think darker skin is attractive on some people, but only if it's natural. People can always tell if you go tanning anyways. Plus it's addictive and can give you cancer.

14. fragomatrick

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was born tanned!
    hahaha! (a pj!but an effort all the same!)