1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*Sigh*

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by dudethere, Feb 19, 2010.

1. dudethere

Background: Well to start I'm 15 and out to everyone, or at least I thought. Around two years ago I came out I admit I was a little young. But I did it, and that included telling my parents. They took it very badly.

Present Day: I have these three best friends, S ( a girl) R ( a boy and S's Boyfriend) and C my other friend. Well tonight I went to a school semi-formal. When I got picked up and taken home my parents started asking about who I danced with. I said people. Oh so you didn't dance with your girl C? I got mad, I stormed down stairs and am now lying in my bed pretending I am a sleep.

I really just don't know what to do, I have told them once, I have never had a Girlfriend since, and I act/look pretty dam gay. Please give me some friendly advice!

2. Sylver

It wouldn't be too unusual for your parents to be going through a little denial, especially since you've said that they took it badly when you came out to them. It's too easy for them to say to themselves "He's only 15, he doesn't know what he likes yet" or "It's just a phase". I have parents who are in super-denial (they live in their own little happy-world where I'm straight as an arrow despite some pretty compelling evidence to the contrary :icon_bigg), so I know how this works.

I can hear your frustration loud and clear, and this is a safe place to let it all out. It sounds like you have a stable home situation at the least, so you might just want to sit tight and bear with it for a couple more years. You did the difficult part and came out to them already, I'd think there's no sense in pushing the issue with them especially if it's just for the principle. You've told them, they know, but they're choosing to ignore it for whatever reason.

Now when you get a boyfriend and bring him home in the future, then you can rekindle some interesting discussions! But for the time being I wouldn't stress over it - it's not worth your effort and you're not going to gain anything significant from it. You know and we know that you're quite gay! :thumbsup:

Hopefully this cheers you up a little! (*hug*)

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I'm sorry to hear that your parents didn't take your coming out so well. (*hug*)

Try to relax and take a couple of deep breaths. It seems that your parents are still clinging on the to hope or to their dreams that they had for you, before you came out to them. For some parents, it can take some time before they come around to it, or try to understand it better. But hopefully with time, things will change.

I don't know how you would feel about it but maybe tell them with whom you danced. If your parents ask you tomorrow again maybe tell them "I danced with friends from school" and leave it that. Maybe try to think about an answer should your parents ask you about as to why you ran off downstairs. They might know why and what is going on given that you have come out to them already, but if you feel it would be good to shield it, then try come with an answer that would give you some breathing space.

I hope this helps a bit!