1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lesbian Aunty - STILL trying!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mugwump, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Mugwump

Hi EC :slight_smile: I wrote a post a few weeks ago about trying to come out to my aunty. In that post I said that I had tried to tell her, but she brushed it off with "maybe now is not the right time", and I didn't know if she knew what I was trying to tell her or not.

Anway... so yesterday I sent her a text message asking her if she is going to fair day (part of Marti Gras festival), and she basically said she wasn't sure and told me about how she has a sore back. So she completely ignored my megga hint. I take it she knows, but she doesn't want to know. Or something... I'm not sure what to make of this. Like, I wanted her to be a little bit happy for me, or at least RESPOND or something!!! Has anyone got any ideas why she might be acting like this?? My Mum suggested maybe she thinks she is the first person to find out, and maybe doesn't want that responsibility. I dunno if that's right though. I dunno. it's so frustrating!!!

2. Mugwump

Lol, k, problem solved! My Mum ended up telling my aunt (don't know the details yet, just got text message off my aunt). Apparently she didn't pick up on all my hints, and she said that she had been wondering lately if I might be gay, but it was up to me to disclose that. Anyway, it's all dandy :slight_smile: She's gonna come with me to fair day tomorrow!

3. x2x2x2x2y2

Lol well that's good :slight_smile:

4. Chandra

Is Mardi Gras considered a gay festival in Australia? I'm asking because this is the second time I've seen an Australian refer to Mardi Gras as something that they think has obvious associations with gay-ness. (In North America, Mardi Gras is not a gay festival but is actually related to the Catholic observation of Lent - like a big party to kick off the 40 days of self-denial or whatever.)

5. RaeofLite

Well from what I know of the "Gay ettiquette", it's generally not nice for someone to 'force another' out of the closet (so to speak). So maybe your Aunt was waiting for you to directly tell her so she wasn't worried about simply assuming that you are gay. If she had said, "Well dear, if there's anything you want to tell me, feel free. I'm here for you and I love you no matter what" then that would have been your cue to spit it out.

But it seems things are going well nonetheless. Hope you had fun at the Fair.

6. Mugwump

Fair day was good, thanks :slight_smile: And oops I spelled Mardi Gras wrong before! Shame on me :S Chandra, it is a gay thing in Australia.