1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outing myself on youtube?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Feb 22, 2010.

1. MusicIsLife

So me and 4 friends are starting a youtube channel, and our first vids go up this week. It's kind of a Beaverbunch-five awesome gays-five awesome girls kind of deal, and we're all pretty excited about it.

My day is Thursday but I still have one thing i'm not so sure about...

Sould I out myself on youtube when I post my vid? If I don't I'm not going to hide it and pretend to be straight, but I just won't openly announce it. I kind of want to, because I remember how helpful the beaverbunch was, they being all openly queer and such.

Advice?

2. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sure! If you feel comfortable doing it than by all means go for it! I think it's a great idea to do something bold like that. I've actually considered doing the same thing (the whole outing on youtube thing, that is.) Best of luck with whichever course you decide to take.

3. RaeofLite

Maybe go a few weeks without outing yourself. And see how you feel. Then slowly start to mention things (that would out yourself), like "I saw this hot girl today" or "I love the rainbow" etc once you feel comfortable enough. Sorry if latter sounded bimbo-ish. ><

4. Beachboi92

if you are comfortable with it go ahead and do it :slight_smile: it's all about if you feel you are ready :grin:

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why not ask the rest of the gang what they think?

Lex

6. MusicIsLife

Because they're all straight and though they're open and accepting, I don't think they'd understand exactly what it would mean to be out on YT. A few years ago I posted a video against homophobia on my personal channel, and it was a video montage basically. I got a LOT of hate mail, and knowing how homophobic YT can be, thats the only thing holding me back from actually going forward and outing myself.

7. RaeofLite

People will always find something they don't like about someone. Unfortunately, this is because of their beliefs, or lack of happiness in their own life. :frowning2:

I actually enjoy a good gay basher-bashing in gay related videos. Especially when everyone who's gay or gay friendly gangs up and outsmarts the loser with wit and better grammar or facts. :slight_smile:

8. MusicIsLife

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: this i agree with. I'm just not sure I want to dump that on the channel...well I'm going to see someone at the LGBT centre tomorrow, so maybe I'll ask her what she thinks...

9. MusicIsLife

The final decision has been made: In my first video I will be dropping hints ie "I like the movie but I'm a cheerleader." but not full on coming out, I think i'm gonna take it as the assumption that "everyone already knows" type of thing. Does that make sense?

10. x2x2x2x2y2

Yeah, it makes sense. I think it will be better like that, if you dont want all the bashers.

Btw, i enjoy the bashers too. Most of them are way too ignorant, and find really odd ways to hate us.

11. Doreibo

Good luck with that bra. Really hope it turns out well. Having said that, expect the internet troll! The vast majority that watch you tube regularly are people who have nothing better to do, or are procrastinating so you will get alot of people who will start an argument just to get a rise out of people. A method to spot or identify the troll is hard to explain, but really it is often a bad argument or just plain sledging. To shut them down, just tell every one in comments that they are a troll, they feed of the negative feelings of others. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: The more people respond to them, the more they are encourage. Best option. Identify troll, tell others, then ignore them, outright.

Once again. GOOD LUCK!