1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talking to younger cousins about being gay

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Perrygay, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

My mom had a her birthday party this weekend and the whole family got together for it at my grandparent's house. It was the first time since I've came out that I saw a lot of the people in my family, so it was just a little intimidating (that's sarcasm). Anyway, my little cousin, who's in the seventh grade, didn't take the news too well. All he wanted to talk about was how it was a sin and that it was gross. His paren'ts are evangelicans, so I didn't have to guess too hard to know where those thoughts were coming from, but it was really disturbing to me that my little cousin said all of those things too me.

So, does anyone have any tips on trying to talk to him about it?

2. Zec24

Thats tough. Talking to kids who have certain ideas ingrained in their heads is no walk in the park. I was talking about homosexuality to my brother who is now 14 this summer (he doesn't know about me yet), and I was just trying to gage where he was at. Well, he is definitely brainwashed, mostly by his friends who seem to dislike gay people. He thinks its wrong, but I made the point to him that its not wrong and that he should not treat anyone who he thinks is gay badly. I think I helped change his mind a bit, but these things take time.

Be patient with your cousin and remember that your actions and words will make an impact on him because you are older and he probably looks up to you. Give him a positive example of gay people and assure him that its ok, however, because of how he is being raised your influence may or may not make an impression. All you can really do is try.

3. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If he is in 7th grade he is old enough for you to say "Well I really dont give a damn about what you think, its my life not yours" That is what I would do. But I just can't stand taking shit from people. 7th grade is old enough to not have to treat him like a kid.

4. Bryan

Well, you really have two courses of action. being that he is evangelical, he may not take to this but just explain that some boys like girls, some boys like boys ans some boys like boys and girls, and you just happen to like boys, and it was the way you were born (Since he is evangelican tell him that god made you this way) I have done this a few times, i.e.: my little cousin and I met a lesbian couple, and I looked at him and explained that it is very normal and that some girls like boys and some girls like girls, he was a little younger and didnt have any ideas ingraved in his head, so it was easier. Option 2, if he is still un accepting of you, just tell him that this is the way you are and that you dont really care what he thinks, and that if he changes his mind, you would be happy to talk to him, he may come around, but with any evangelical, it is kind of hard
    Goodluck!

5. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Or... you could be like, "You know, <name of cousin>... we gays are just uncontrollably horny... and you're turning out to be a fine young man..." and then just totally leer at him.

Oh right, you wanted advice on how to make the situation better, not exploit it for dramatic effect! Sorry! :lol:

Sorry I just always want to freak out people who are close-minded. *sigh*

Well if he's 13ish he probably still thinks being gay is contagious or something... you might want to tell him that just because you like guys doesn't mean he's in any "danger."

6. tayana

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can ask him, since he is really old enough not to be treated like a child, to consider the other side of the argument for a little while. Ask him to do a little research. There are some good YA novels with gay characters. Try to understand his side of the argument, but ask him to consider the opposing side. At that age, he's wanting to be a part of a group, and those opinions might not be the same in a couple of years, especially if he has a good role model who he knows is gay and can say, "So and so isn't like what they tell me."

7. ethene

that's pretty amazing how different the kids of the same age may be.
    some rainwashed devots will think of homosexuality as something gross and sinful, and some will fully accept it.

apparently that's how the world was created.