1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"umm.....uh..." Foot in mouth

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AlmightyFluffy, Aug 26, 2007.

1. AlmightyFluffy

Okay, so last time I made a thread here I was just bored, after a while of thinking over it, I'm not bored butfully wanting to tell my parents I'm gay. I know they wouldn't react badly, but for some reason, whenever I try to tell them, all that comes out is deep breathing and "eruhh......."
    Anyone have advice on getting my to get the guts to talk to my parents about this?
    Should I take up a sign saying in bold letters "I'm gay"??
    How am I supposed to go about this if I can't even speak out a full sentence when attempting to say barely three words?:bang:

2. Torture

Torture Guest

You could try writing them a note and leave it where they would see it and read? It takes alot of courage to come out and if you cant say it in words why not paper.

^^ Just a little tip.

3. I agree, a letter or e-mail even could help you say it if you cant summon the words

4. Triplume

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I had the same problem telling my cousin.

He came up last year from California for a month and the whole time I kept trying to get some quiet time with him so we could talk about stuff. And we did talk--in fact, we talked about almost every subject imaginable, except the one of me being gay. The words just wouldn't come out, even though I knew he would be totally fine with it.

When he had to leave, I went to the airport with my dad to see him off. I had my mind set on telling him then, before he left. I had played out little scenarios in my mind--everything was meticulously planned out. He would grab all his luggage out from the car, and as everyone was saying their goodbyes, I would wait so that I could approach him last, give him a hug, and whisper into his ear that I was gay.

I ended up speechless.

I didn't even say goodbye; I merely nodded and tried my hardest to smile, even though inside I had wanted to cry.

Once I got home I called him on my cell phone. He was in the terminal waiting for his flight. We talked some more, mostly about what he was going to do the rest of the summer back in California. But of course, I wasn't really paying any attention--my mind was too busy repeating the words "I'm gay" over and over so that hopefully my mouth could finally speak them.

We were on the phone for half an hour, but we only talked for about 15 minutes or so. He would say something, and then I'd agree and return to my silent agony. Eventually I cracked and started crying, with him still on the phone. At first it wasn't all that loud, but he noticed and began to ask me what was going on. It wasn't until I regained composure that I finally told him.

When you're first coming out, doing it in person is horrifically nerve-wracking. I came out to one best friend in person, but everyone else I did through writing or over the phone. It's still hard for me to do it in person, especially when meeting new people. I don't make it mandatory to declare my sexuality to everyone I meet, but I've had several occasions where the other party would say something questionable and telling them would have cleared things up between us.

Frankly, coming out is a skill. It takes a lot of practice to feel really comfortable doing it whenever it's needed. But like writing with proper grammar or being able to speak publicly, it's a skill that will come in handy for the rest of your life.

I don't know if this'll help you at all, haha, but I guess my one bit of advice would be to reiterate what the other posters said about doing it in writing if you can't say it to them in person.

Good luck! :grin:

5. Jim1454

You can initiate the conversation by saying that you have something important you want to talk to them about. That is easy enough to say - it doesn't include the word 'gay' anywhere! This sets an expectation on their part that they sort of have to brace themselves - for something. In addition, you'll then feel obligated to actually tell them, because you've already said that you have something important to say.

Trust me - it's never / rarely going to come out in a normal, casual conversation. There's just no way to slide in the fact that you're gay at the breakfast table...

Good luck.

6. AlmightyFluffy

Thanks guys! :3

7. Sam

Sam

well I told my parents by letter.... at separate times so really 2 letters. It is so hard to get out those words "I'm gay" so I say give them a letter and then make sure you are available for any questions they may have. good luck!