1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apparently I have been "damaged" and that's why I chose to be gay

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mugwump, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Mugwump

I just had a really upsetting discussion with my step father. He has known I am gay for a while but we never spoke about it. Tonight he asked me questions. We spoke for a long time, but it got nasty in the end so now I am sitting upstairs avoiding him. I tried very hard to be patient, friendly, accepting, understanding etc. I am proud of the job I did. But I became very upset and hurt because basically he thinks that I am wrong. He doesn't like gay people, he is against gay marriage. He thinks that "lesbians recruit" (yes he actually said that). Apparently I have been "damaged" by my aunt's old gf, who hugged me too much when I was young. He tried to blame my psychologist for converting me, and wanted to know if she was gay too. I told him that I am happy, and it is not a choice. I was so patient and explained things lots of times to him. But it just got awful. He keeps referring to it as "your choice" etc. He feels guilty and like he failed because he was verbally and physically abusive. He thinks he caused it. I told him that I do not forgive him for hitting me, and he damaged our relationship, however that had nothing to do with my sexuality. He just keeps blaming people. He refuses to believe there isn't a cause. I was very nice etc, but when he started getting cranky I just told him that I found some of the things he said offensive, and I walked away. I explained to him that it's his choice - he can either be a part of my life and I can share things with him, or he can choose to be annoyed about it and I will not be able to speak to him about good things in my life. He will never accept it. It makes things uncomfortable. He even said that "most women are bi" and "most people have homosexual relationships in their adolescence". It is something that people grow out of. He thinks he knew me, but he doesn't know me anymore. He thinks if I just got a boyfriend then I would be normal.

I found this talk very upsetting but I am proud of myself for doing it, and for staying calm and reasonable/open minded. I just wanted to share it with some people who might understand.

2. Spectre

How do you know that he will never accept it? Can you see into the future? If so there's this lottery coming up... Nah.

Are you familiar with the five stages of grief? It sounds like he has a few stages to go. But you're doing the right thing. You're expressing yourself in a patient, friendly, accepting, and understanding manner, and that's really the best thing you can do in this situation.

Does your mother know? Maybe she could talk to him about it for you if she is accepting.

3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aww thats tough im sorry you are having such a hard time but you are doing the right thing.
    Do you have other supportive people around you?

4. Mugwump

I know about stages of grief etc, and I am aware it takes time. But I also know my step father, and he is VERY paranoid, stubborn etc. He clings onto things forever, and builds up little fantansies to support his beliefs. Anyway, I was just trying to express how I feel about what he was saying. My Mum has given up on trying to speak to him about it because of what he is like.

5. Spectre

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope and expect that he'll come around one day. If not, that's really his loss and no fault of your own. (*hug*)

6. adam88

1. I think he's been reading Freud. :dry:

2. If he thought he knew you, he thought he knew the closeted you, which isn't the real you.

In any case, as others have said just keep it up and he'll probably get used to it.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are plenty of hard headed people out there. But I think there's still hope. I know people whose parents or granparents took several years to come to acceptance, but eventually were fully able to embrace and accept their gay offspring. You did the right thing by sticking by your guns, listening, and being respectful in response. I'm sure it is having an influence on him, even if he's not yet ready to own the feelings.

In fact, I could see an argument that perhaps by his directly addressing it with you, he is moving out of anger and into bargaining... "OK, you're gay, but it's because of this or that"... which might actually be a good step. Only time will tell, but in the meantime, if you can be supportive in whatever way feels comfortable, it can't do anything but help in the long term.

8. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    "a man sees what he wants to see and disregards the rest, lah lah laaaah."
    We all have blind spots, and its hard to be critically honest with ourselves.
    Too bad his blind spots, right now, are so big. Blind spots may shrink, over time. Love may lead him there.
    Mission Impossible: Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to show him the fallacy of his present thoughts. It will be a slow process. Eg. two years ago I WAS AGAINST GM! Live is a journey, and his will continue unless he's Archie Bunker, and even love won't lead him to openness.

9. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    sounds like your step dad has the backwards idea that being gay is something happens to you, instead of just being the way you were born.

10. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I'm sorry to read that your coming out was upsetting to you. From the sound of it, it seems that he will need some time to adjust and come around to it. (*hug*)

There is however something that you said at the end of your post that is really important as well:

Remind yourself of this when you feel down because your step dad has a hard time accepting it. You have done what you needed to do.

Asking the questions might actually not be such a bad sign. Maybe a part of him is trying to (as Chip said) understand it.

11. Johnnieguy

I reccomend this movie to everyone. It's called "For the Bible Tells Me So". And it's on Youtube, for free. It focuses mainly on US families but of course the themes apply the world over. Tell him you would like him to watch it.

12. matty123

my mum blamed herself for me being gay, she thought that her and dad's rocky relationship had somehow damaged me or made me gay, like some sort of psychological trauma that can be fixed. i think you just need to give your step dad some time, my mum has come round to the idea of me being gay now, she's even met my boyfriend and liked him, you just need to give parents time to get over the shock of you being gay and hopefully they will see your no different and perfectly happy and healthy, and that this isn't some phase that will pass in a year or two, your gay and its not something that's going to change

13. Mugwump

Thanks guys. These are all very reasonable, thoughtful and helpful replies.

14. Sylver

There's a few things you mention in your original post that disturb me a little, and suggest to me that your step dad is having a hard time with more than just your sexuality. He sounds like he has other internal issues that are probably complicating his understanding of things. I'll wager he'll be a tough one to ever reason with and that he'll probably never come around. I think it might help for you to just tune him out and avoid these confrontations with him altogether. I trust you have others in your life who are supportive of you - surround yourself with them and don't let him influence your outlook on life. You don't need his approval anyway.

15. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I love the idea that "gays recruit". I usually respond to it by saying "...and straights breed, because they can't get anybody to sign up to be straight." :slight_smile:

I think you handled it as well as you could've. There were no magic words that you could strung together to make him "get it". In similar situations, I usually say something like "I don't know why straight people think they understand gay people so much better than gay people do." And if people want to argue that I"m gay because Dad didn't love me enough or Mom loved me too much, I just say "I don't agree with that. I think it's just how I am. But regardless of how it came about, I'm gay now. I've accepted that I'm gay, and I'm enjoying being gay. So let's just leave it at that." If your stepfather wants to keep working on "fixing you", remind him that you're not interested in getting "fixed". "Maybe you think I'm damaged, but I quite like myself the way I am." And either he can accept it (or at least stop bringing it up), or you'll find some more interesting people to spend your time with.

Lex

16. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight