1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hate...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mydogstewie, Mar 5, 2010.

1. mydogstewie

Everything...

I hate school, I hate many people, I hate being bi, and, I hate being different.

This year has been terrible.
    I want to change schools. I don't want to argue, it's a need.

My school now:
    1.) No GSA
    2.) If you're not a hockey player, you're a loser
    3.) If you are even perceived as not straight, you are tormented
    4.) 10 out of 395 people are african american
    5.) As stated above, there is no diversity.
    6.) Catholic School, I'm atheist

New school:
    1.) GSA with: Nation Coming Out Day festival (Everybody gets rainbow wristbands) and gay trivia on fridays.
    2.) No hockey team
    3.) So much more diversity
    4.) Liberal school

I am not happy at my current school. It just sucks going every day. I don't have a best friend and I think that I should be able to be happy and not suffer.

I need to convince my parents to switch, but I don't know how. I mean, I've only been here for 2 years, and I'm already hating it.

I just don't think that me and the school are a good mix. Oil and Water.

I just want to know if the reasons listed above are good reasons to switch.:help:

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I think if you would be happy at another school and you think it could help you academically as well, then by all means try to switch or transfer to another school which fulfills what you are looking for.

Students who feel 'at home and welcome' in a school and have the support that they need allows them to do better academically because they have a social network in school that allows them to feel being part of the school and provides them with the necessary support.

I think you could reasonable bring up your concerns and talk with your parents about it. You could highlight the fact that you would feel more comfortable in a school that has more diversity and where you would have a better chance of making some friends or meet peers with whom you can connect and build friendships. I think if you can connect it to your studies it might be even better. Try to find out a couple of things about the school to which you would like to transfer that would give you a few more reasons as to why you want to transfer. When talking to them, make sure you emphasize the good things about the new school.

Before you talk to your parents, maybe talk to some of your teachers as well to get their feedback. When you talk to your parents you could perhaps mention that you do have support from a couple of teachers.

3. Spectre

To be honest, if the environment you are in isn't conducive to your well being or your learning, then you shouldn't be in it. The reasons you have listed are all perfectly valid. If you're not out to your parents, though, only give them the reasons that don't include mention of your sexuality (unless you're a closet Atheist, too?).

About the new school... is it close? Would it put any significant inconvenience on your parents? Do you know any people in it? Are your parents stubborn or flexible about this kind of thing?

Perhaps focus on the reasons why the new school would be better (positive/proactive approach) as opposed to listing all the reasons you hate your current school (negative/reactive approach). Some parents tend to be more receptive to that.

4. Dan82

What are your other options for schools? If you live in liberal area the administration of public school would likely be more supportive if you’re in conservative area it’s unlikely the administration would be much better. As far as student attitudes the students are drawn from the same pool so it’s unlikely their attitudes will be much different.

5. mydogstewie

@Spectre The new school is only half a mile away from my current school

@Dan82 I live a liberal area, but my school just attracts flocks of Conservatives.

6. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :frowning2:

I understand 1 and 2, but 3 and 4 make me sad.

Not that it's not understandable that you hate being different, because being different isn't easy, but I think in the end, it's way way way more rewarding/fun/interesting.

At least, that's how it worked out for me. I think I might have been terribly boring if I had been straight.

Plus, boys are hot. :lol:

Urggh! Every way I try to say this is coming out patronising, which is not what I'm trying to be. It's just that I hope you can or do make the distinction between hating how you get treated (by douchebags) because you're different vs. hating being different. Because being different (for whatever reason) is something personal about yourself and hating yourself is just not good for you. There's nothing wrong with you--there's something wrong with the people who are mistreating you! It's a subtle difference, maybe, but it's important. Don't be mad or down on yourself just because some people are ignorant.

7. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Show me a man who has enjoyed his school days and I'll show you a bully and a bore." — Robert Morely

8. mydogstewie

Fuck...I just lost my best friend...He said I was a faggot and he never wanted to talk to me again...

9. Sylver

Really? Well then he wasn't much of a friend. Wouldn't you want to know the truth about him rather than being under the pretense that your best friend was something other than a jerk? Now you know his true colors, and you can leave him behind for people who are more understanding and supportive of you.

It may hurt for a while but friends come and go and they are replaceable. And it really sounds like you need this guy out of your life, so good riddance!

Until that time, we're all your best friends here at EC! So from one friend to another - (*hug*)

10. Dan82

Why did your parents send you to catholic school? Is it because they’re religious or because they perceived that the education was better? They are likely paying a decent amount of money to send you there so they might be willing to let you switch to public school if you let them know you’re unhappy. I know a couple of people who switched for that reason when I was in school.

11. mydogstewie

I went to private school to get out of public school. I was catholic, but i'm not anymore

12. someguy82

I was an atheist in a catholic high school for my freshman year of high school, and frankly, that shit was a nightmare (in particular because I just started realizing I was attracted to guys at that point). I hated the entire year, and by the end I begged my parents to let me switch schools because I wasn't happy. I went to a public high school the next year, and was much much happier than I was in my previous situation.

Don't stay in a school environment that's detrimental to you. You should be a school that nurtures and fosters you so that you can achieve your dreams and goals, and become the person you want to be. You will be much happier. Don't stay in a shitty situation if you don't have to.

My advice, do it, switch schools.

13. mydogstewie

Thanks, and wow, I have the same story. I texted my friend that I thought I was gay and then the who school found out. It is torture, and I just want to be happy, thanks

14. someguy82

Also I have to admit I found it ironic, that I was the only atheist in the catholic school, and I had the highest grade in my religion class. Amazing how many of those judgmental assholes haven't even read the doctrine by which they claim to live their lives.