1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do I have a choice..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by RaeofLite, Mar 6, 2010.

1. RaeofLite

..in coming out to my landlady?

(Sorry if this is too long).

I'm pretty much out to everyone else in my life... however, my mind jumps to the worst conclusion when it comes to my landlady. She lives in the same apartment. There are three bedrooms (she has hers, I have mine, and there's an empty one waiting for another tennant). I share a bathroom with the other roommate (or did till he moved out).

A part of myself, says "yes, just get it off your chest", but another part of me worries that if I officially do... then my girlfriend will not be allowed to visit. Since on the rental agreement, it states there should be notice every before every time a guest visits ahead of time. However, after a few weeks, I just stopped asking if my 'friend' (gf) could come over and just brought her over, we hung out (and she sleeps over sometimes).

The other day, she called me "babe", when I was helping her with dinner and I later realized my landlady was home. So I'm pretty sure she knows in some form or other... that if I'm not gay, that I 'fool around' with her.

And today I came back from the library and gym and noticed my touch light was left on (each touch brightens the room and after a third touch it shuts off), and it was left on the lowest setting. I never leave my lights on. Other things were moved around as well. And it's only possible that she was the one that did this because there are no other tennants. This isn't the first time... I'm guessing she's doing it because she's overly curious, but it still makes me feel violated and a bit ticked off (she's not my mom after all). It's been a while since this last happened. And I have asked her if I could get a lock for the door and she would get the key once I moved out of the place. She said no.

I don't have a ton of things I keep private, but those I do: journals, books and toys (yes I'm an adult here...) should be kinda private. And they are in my room but not in the open.

I worry because, I only have a couple months left of school... but I would still like to keep the apartment if I get a job locally because it's a great location, good price etc.

Thanks if you're still with me, lol. Should I leave her a note if I'm unable to tell her face to face? Or should I not even bother telling her? :help:

2. Zach1992

I would try to gauge her LGBT tolerance. Do you hang out with her at all?

3. someguy82

I had similar issues with a roommate and landlord, including the breaking into my room part. I told the roommate, never told the landlord. Keep in mind that if you're under lease they can't exactly evict you for being gay, but at the same time sometimes it's better to just maintain the status quo with people that you have contractual relations with.

4. Chandra

Wow, she definitely shouldn't be going through your stuff. And I'm pretty sure that legally you're entitled to a lock on your door if you want one. You should maybe look into the legality of that.

Maybe you could just try mentioning something about your "girlfriend" and see how she reacts?

5. Eleanor Rigby

Have you any idea on where she stands about gay people ?
    Maybe you should try to bring LGBT matters, like gay rights for exemple, when you're discussing with her ans see how she reacts. If she seems to be supportive or doesn't care, you probably can come out to her.

6. RaeofLite

Well I remember about a year ago, I was discussing school. She's a teacher at a relgious private school and said she thinks one of the students might be gay.

I mentioned that if she has even a small part in the kids life, then it would probably be nice of her to make it easier on the kid by telling him that "It's ok to be different. And life'll get easier."

She looked at me a little oddly, as if she'd never heard someone say something like that but more so in a curious, 'oh, I'd never thought about that' kind of way.

7. Sylver

Let me propose a little perspective. If you were a straight girl, would she let you bring a guy into the room and have him spend the night? It sounds like the rules are the rules and the answer would be no. So then you're kinda taking a little advantage of being gay to circumvent the rules, aren't you?

I think it's less about "coming out" to her and more about being up front about your girlfriend. As your landlady I believe she has the right to set rules about friends and "more". If you don't like the rules, then you should probably be looking for another place, or just bide your time until school is over. Then it's your decision - weigh the pros and cons and act accordingly, but I don't think you're being honest with her or yourself.

Of course this doesn't give her any right to go through your stuff, period. Whether you come out to her or not this issue needs to be addressed separately. Rather than a coming out note, I'd leave a note among your personal stuff saying something like "Anyone who finds this note is snooping in my private stuff and I know you're doing this. Just thought you'd want to know that I know..."

8. Absentminded

Usually I would say that she doesn't need to know your sexuality, but given that you're sharing an apartment with her, and given the terms of your agreement, I think that she needs to know, especially if she's going through your stuff. She doesn't really have a right to do that without damn good reason behind it. Being gay isn't a good enough reason.
    From what you said about her reaction to possibly having a gay student, she just may not have encountered it very much in her life, so there's always the possibility that she wants to be alright with it, she just doesn't know how. You may be surprised.
    I really think you should go for it.
    Whatever your decision, good luck!(*hug*)

9. Chandra

I have to disagree here. A landlord/landlady is not a parent, and RaeofLite is an adult. I don't see any reason at all that she should have to hide or ask for permission before bringing home her partner.

I could certainly see that it might make her uncomfortable, and thus make living arrangements awkward. And it would be different if you were having big noisy parties in your room. But you've already brought your girlfriend home as a "friend", so as far as I'm aware she would have no legal recourse in suddenly forbidding you from having her over once she finds out she's your girlfriend.

#9 Chandra, Mar 7, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  10. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's a little odd that you live WITH your landlady. It's also a little weird that she has any control over your life beyond your living arrangments. It's not really any of her buisness what your personal life is. That being said, do you like your landlady, like are you friends or atleast do you get along?

I think you shouldnt come out to her per se. Just be yourself and do what you want, and if she has a problem with it, that's too bad, because it's your life not hers. Also, if she did have a huge problem with it and you have a lease with her, she's legally obligated to allow you to live there for the entire lease. She cant evict you unless it is for your own health and well being.

11. RaeofLite

Hm... a note to the 'snooper'. That's a good idea, I think I'll make one up and leave it on my bed every time I leave the house. However, how am I to know if she even cares if she does see it?

I am an adult. Thanks Chandra. I live "on my own" because I'm an adult, and I needed to live closer to post secondary and was tired of being treated like a child at my parents. :confused:

And maybe my landlady is scared of someone else she doens't really know, being in the house and 'taking something' or doing something else. But honestly, if she brought home a guy or girl (I hardly hear her talk to anyone but family), then I would be polite, friendly and not care.

And no, I've not had any parties at this place. The ones that have been held here were partially organized by the landlady with a couple friends of each of us.

Oh... and she probably knows. My room has a gay pride flag, and gay stickers on some of my things. Unless she thinks it's "just a pretty rainbow". :lol:

It's like a shared apartment. We share the kitchen: I have my own pantry and fridge. I have my own room.

Yes, we get along alright. She's fairly friendly but has seemed stressed out by everything since I moved in (over a year and half ago). She was fairly shy when I moved in(like socially anxious), but we talk every once in a while when we're in the kitchen or if I come into the living room when she's watching an interesting news story.

12. Spectre

You said she's a teacher. I'm pretty sure most teachers are smart enough to realize the international symbol for GAY, unless she herself has been locked in a closet (ha, ha) for all of her life. So if she hasn't said anything about it to you, and she already knows, I don't think verbalizing it will make much difference either way. Because as I see it, you're already out to her.

Unless it was specifically written into the agreement, the landlady really cannot do a damn thing. And even if it was, unless RaeofLite was *ahem* making considerable noise with her friend, it would be extremely difficult for the landlady to legally enforce.

Speaking of the agreement... what kind of notice is required?

Do you have a webcam? Set it to record every time you go out and point it at your bed! Just remember to turn it off when your girlfriend comes over... :lol:

13. RaeofLite

Thank you for all the advice you've all given so far. :slight_smile:

It says to let her know 'before' someone comes over. :confused: That's the only thing. However, they have been formally introduced. And aside from us talking when my girlfriend is visiting, things are pretty quiet.

I have given notice for a few weeks when we started dating. So... I admit I have let things slide and not given her notice for the past little while.

But we aren't noisy. I respect the fact that this is a fairly quiet apartment complex, so I do take precautions here.

14. Spectre

Ha ha, how vague. It wouldn't hold up in a court or the tenancy board; she wouldn't be able to kick you out over it, by any means. If she made issue of it, you could simply write her something that gave notice your girlfriend would be over every day. :lol:

15. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would actually be a bit more careful here. Reading through what you have written in terms of the arraignment, it might not even fall under the provincial tenancy act. If your landlady is renting the rooms *cough* under the table, the tenancy act doesn't apply. Should a problem arise, you might not have any legal standing under the tenancy act.

I used to live in a similar arraignment and have been made fully aware of the my 'rights' during my stay, which didn't add to much. Some of the tenants did bring their boyfriends and girlfriends over sometimes not saying anything. One tenant got kicked out for having her boyfriend over repeatedly without informing the landlord.

Given the arrangement and the fact that your landlady is asking that tenants let her know beforehand and to be on the safe side, let her know when your gf is spending the night or when she is coming for a visit and intends to spend the night as well. Just bring it up casually when you see her.

16. RaeofLite

I was worried about that Mirko... since we (landlady and I) share a kitchen and hse lives with me, apparently there are different tenant rights, than if the landlord lived in a seperate house. :confused:

Obviously... she's going to know (if she doesn't obviously already). Agh. I think I'm going to have to come out to her. I mean, friends don't usually stay the night a few times a week.

I'm going to start asking. Wish me luck. ><

17. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be on the safe side, and to be prepared should ever something come up maybe try getting a hold of a copy of the provincial tenancy act. I know there have been some amendments to the act in the past but not sure if they expanded the definition of the kinds of arraignments that are covered. I doubt it though.

I think after a while it becomes 'obvious.' Given her professional background and the fact that your room displays the pride colours and symbols, I think she is accepting.

I don't know how comfortable you would feel with it but maybe the next time you let her know that your gf is coming over, maybe just bring it up really causally and say "Wondering if it would be alright if my gf spends the night here."

18. Spectre

If her tenancy falls under the Residental Tenancy Act, the landlady would have to provide her written notice of the breach of contract, and give her adequate time to correct it. The only way the landlady could get around that would be to prove that through breaching the contract, she was unreasonably disturbed or her person or property was put in jeopardy. Even then, RaeofLite could dispute it, and based on what I have read, the landlady would lose.

Note: If it's an illegal suite, you still fall under the Residential Tenancy Act.

Edit: Checked the act, and it doesn't apply to living accomodations in which the tenant shares a bathroom or kitchen with the owner. Doh!

#18 Spectre, Mar 7, 2010
  19. Mirko

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just looking up the act, and reading a bit through the act, you might want to read the act because under the section This Act does not apply to it clearly states that

The next thing though is, do you have a written agreement with her? Still, I would suggest you to stay on the safe side.

20. RaeofLite

I still don't get if it's an illegal suite... Is it illegal if she lives with me?

Because the ad in the paper (in August 08 when I was looking for a place), said Roommate needed. And I went there, and everything seemed fine, although I did find it a bit weird you had to 'call before someone came over'. However, she (the landlady) is a bit socially anxious and it takes time to warm up to her and she is possibly worried someone will 'take her things'. I don't know.

I did sign a contract agreeing to keep noise levels down, park on the street, clean up my mess once finished in the kitchen, inform before guests come over (but I never thought I'd be in a situation where I'd date someone and want them to come over so I never asked this question).

#20 RaeofLite, Mar 7, 2010