1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm afraid to post ..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Dare2bProud, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Dare2bProud

I'm afraid to post here, because every time I seem to post about this situation I get yelled at about it, but I really need help. I really do. I don't know what to do. Things are getting worse. I can't sleep and I can hardly eat anymore ... its just gotten to such an uncomfortable level lately and I have lost my control with it, that I'm not sure what to do. I have been extremely tired and haven't wanted to eat much lately. We needed to get paperwork done today and he had all the stuff and I wanted us to do it together, but in the process we had a text message battle with him telling me, "He is over himself and feels like shit" and "You can't stand me today. Join the club." and "I want to be alone" and "My whole life is causing my extreme emotion. I break down almost every night" and "Giving me relationship advice, confirming my emotion, making me feel bad for dealing with my relationship like talking to him a lot." I ended since he had all the information, I ended up calling in an order instead of faxing. I made up this huge excuse how the fax machine wasn't working. I ended up taking a walk and he asked where I was. I told him I was just walking and he than called me to find out "why I was walking and where I walking to. *sigh* I can't call anyone with the company anymore because they don't want to hear about us "not getting along" and my future placements were in jeopardy. So I am having to disneyfy everything. I feel like I'm in a bad relationship where you act like everything is great in public and behind close days it isn't. Even when I try to be all business, he flys the personal at me. Guys this has really gotten to weird and awkward point. I've tried to take all of your advice, please don't get me wrong, but for some reason he's like kryptonite and he's weakening me and I don't know why. Since him and I are constantly alone on the road together, I have been calling friends, going to bars by myself and doing things just to escape. This would be much easier if there were more than just two of us. I'm just not sure what is happening.

2. olides84

How much longer are you gonna be working with him? Is it just for a short time that maybe you can ride this out by doing these escaping activities, or is it for much longer. And does he know what a difficult time you are having, dealing with him, his relationship issues, etc?

3. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, frankly, it sounds like he's really insistant you join into this little drama of his.

Might I ask what exactly you do when you get messages or calls like this? Do you reply? Do you ignore them?

I'm thinking that replying is the worst thing you can do about it. When he texts "you obviously hate me" and other things like that, he's not looking for a discussion, he's just demanding attention. No matter what you reply, he's going to keep sending depressed messages like that. Basically, like some little children, he has found the only failsafe way to get attention is be miserable and needy. Solving his problems would mean giving up the attention (even if it's negative attention) and that's not something he wants to do.

It might take a professional psychologist some time to solve this, so you're not going to find the miracle cure right here, right now. The only thing you can do is just cut him off more, I'm afraid. If he texts you with emotional blackmail like that, then don't reply. If he texts you with relevant info, then do. He'll have to learn the hard way that if he wants attention, it will be by approaching this professionally.

I know that's easier said than done. I'm truly sorry it's proving to be a sucky tour. But it's probably impossible to truly fix. Damage control by keeping your interactions with him purely professional is your only option. Don't get involved in these text battles and little dramas. You don't have to reply!

Lastly, I'm sorry if the replies I gave to your previous threads sounded like I'm shouting you down. I guess I just tried to convey that you're not entirely blameless. If you keep giving hints that you'll allow yourself to be emotionally involved, then he will use that. And you can't allow that to happen anymore.

It's really hard, yeah. But don't lose hope. You an get through this! (*hug*)

4. Dare2bProud

10 more weeks.

No. I reply because if I don't I get more messages, "Why are you ignoring me? I'm not a bad person." or we'll get into the van going to our next school and I'll get uncomfortable questions, "did you get my text?" and I'll say "which one. oh, yeah, I did." and than he'll get all quiet and than later on I'll get text from him saying, "if there's something bothering and you aren't going to tell me in person, you can email or text me what's going on, cause i'd like to know."

5. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm, I can see how that makes it awkward. Still, I stand by my original assessment: he insists on making it all about him and about you giving him attention.
    I'm reminded of the famous Truman Capote quote (paraphrased): "But so far this conversation is me talking about me. Let's talk about you! What do you think of me?" :wink:

Maybe you need to sell it to him like you need a bit of a private life.
    Something like: "We spend a lot of time hanging out. We drive in the car, we do this play together, we do the administrative work... This is all eating a lot of my time. Outside of work, I just need to have some private space where I can talk to other people and not think about work or what goes on with my colleagues. It's nothing personal, but I just need some private space every day!"

And if he insists on infringing, just ignore him. no matter if his text is agressive, or pleading, or genuinely friendly. Just ignore. Be pleasant when you need to be with him, but outside of that, don't ever let him lay claim to your time!

Again, I know it's easy for me to say this. I don't have to drive in a van with him. And ignoring people isn't fun and makes you feel like the bad guy (or at least, that's how it works for me). But if it's your sanity in the balance, then you'll just have to be tough!

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't have to get involved in the drama. Seriously. You can draw your lines and simply stick with them.

>>>We needed to get paperwork done today and he had all the stuff and I wanted us to do it together, but in the process we had a text message battle with him telling me...

Not sure if this was before you got together or what, but if so, just be clear about what needs to happen. "Look, whatever you're going through, put it on hold so we can take care of the paperwork that needs to get done." And if he keeps wanting to play the "you don't like me" game, don't play. "This isn't about interpersonal relationships right now. It's about all the paperwork we need to get done."

Each time you're together, and he starts going off on his boyfriend, cut him off at the pass. "Look, I'm sorry you two still aren't getting along. But you're digging a trench by walking over the same bit of ground over and over and over again. I'm sorry you two aren't getting along, but there's not much advice I can give." And if he pulls the "you hate me" card on you, be honest. "No, I don't hate you. But you're not very pleasant to be around when you're like this. I signed up for this gig because I liked the idea of (whatever it is you're supposed to be doing), and thought it might be fun. I didn't sign up to be your 24/7 counselor and support system. I don't mind listening to the troubles of my traveling companions once in awhile - that comes with the territory, and I'm fine with that. But with you, it's a 24/7 soap opera. And always at precisely the same spot it was at the last time I saw it. Spending time with you means hearing the same story about how dreadful this relationship is, over and over and over again. Given that, yeah, I'm going to prefer to spend my time alone."

Lex

7. Dare2bProud

See that's the thing. The company knew all this about him, however, I am not allowed to complain about it or feel that this is unfair to me.

8. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, the fundamental truth of working for any company is that in the end, they want the job done. If you have fun doing that, then good! If you don't, well, as far as they're concerned: tough luck!

You've made your point to them, they said no, and any further pushing the issue on your part is going to make you seem like the annoying one. It's probably best to keep your venting to other channels, and not bring it up when contacting the company. It's not pleasant, but it will give better odds at keeping the job and getting a more enjoyable assignment next.

9. Dare2bProud

So, no matter how much emotional distress this is causing me, just bite the bullet and deal with it and my next time out may be much more enjoyable? I keep thinking about that. Right now I'm feeling very miserable with my assignment and all, making me think twice about the job.

10. Jim1454

Accept the things you can not change, and change the things you can. It's that simple.

This doesn't have to cause you emotional distress. You need to learn how to distance yourself from this person. Make it entirely professional. Entirely.

And as a professional myself, I don't like receiving text messages from people about work. If you need to do some paperwork, then you go to his room and knock on the door and ask him for the paperwork. You can ask him if he'd like to do it with you now. Otherwise, you do it yourself.

Make it clear that you don't like receiving text messages from someone who is sitting next to you in a van. If he has something to say, he can say it to you directly. This person sounds incredibly childish and imature, and you HAVE TO rise above it. If you come across as being just as whiney and imature, then you're not likely going to be asked back to do this job again either.

It is your CHOICE to react (or not to react) to your coworker's bad moods. He actually has absolutely no control over your happiness unless you give him that control.

I'd like to hear about how you're implementing some of these suggestions...

11. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>See that's the thing. The company knew all this about him, however, I am not allowed to complain about it or feel that this is unfair to me.

Perhaps they did. And you HAVE complained. And now that they've got the complaint, what exactly are they supposed to do? Tell him to knock it off? Send someone out to replace him?

As Jim highlighted (and I pointed out before), you don't have to be sucked into this. As we've said before, yeah, it'd be great if he were a fun guy without any extra baggage and you could hang out with him a lot. But apparently he isn't that fun, and he's got plenty of baggage, and he isn't fun to hang out with. So that means deal with him when you have to, and you're on your own when you don't. Don't keep looking to him to suddenly become something he isn't. He's a guy who wants to complain and bitch and moan about how awful his life is with his boyfriend. If you feel like participating in that, you know where to go. If you don't, you need to find something else to occupy your time. Get that camera, start your writing or drawing, start visiting the local scenery and eateries. But don't keep going back to him expecting him to be suddenly be better company because that's what you'd like. He ain't gonna be.

Lex

12. Rygirl

I am a very upfront person, and you may not go about things the same as me, but I'll tell you how I'd handle the situation:

1) I'd change my phone number so I wouldn't recieve his horrid messages.
    2) I'd stop letting him dump all his baggage on me, I'd tell him to quit it.
    3) I'd have it out with him over my feelings and how he has no right in any situation to depress me with his psycological bullying.

I used to get something similar from girls and guys at my old school, they'd act like I was a horrible person and I was unworthy of their acknowledgement, but in the end I just grew a think hide and began to think, 'if the best thing they have to do for fun is make me miserable then how boring must they be as people?'

And I had school every day with these people so I was sort of stuck with them as well.

I know it might seem hard but the healthiest thing you can do is cut people like this off, because from what you've said he is psycologically bullying you into being his dumping ground that he can go off on whenever he feels like it.

13. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You're ALLOWING him to affect you. It's clear that the drama he creates is something that he wants or needs in order to either draw attention to himself, or make him feel better about himself, or something like that.

Whenever he's dramatic or accusatory, simply ignore what he says. Don't respond to the text, don't engage in the conversation. He can't have a text message battle with you if you just don't respond, or if you respond in monosyllables. Ditto his asking where you've been/what you're doing. No response needed.

He's goading you, and you're responding hook, line, and sinker.

So your response should be to avoid him other than when you're actually giving the presentations. Don't offer anything, don't ask about his relationship, don't offer advice, don't respond to texts, don't answer the phone when he calls.

If he has the paperwork for the orders or whatever, text him and say "Please either give me the paperwork so I can take care of it, or do it yourself. I'm not in a space to do this together." If he asks where you've been or what you're doing, you can respectfully just say "I'm choosing to spend time by myself, and I don't wish to talk about it." Just keep repeating that mantra (or something similar) no matter what he says. If he whines about his boyfriend or some other difficulty, you can say "I'm sorry you're having that problem. It sounds like you need to call a friend to talk to about it, I'm not in a place where I can help." And -- possibly most important -- if he attacks you or makes accusations about you, DON'T defend yourself or engage. Say something to the effect of "I'm sorry you feel that way, but it isn't true, and I am not going to discuss it." Just keep repeating that mantra no matter what he says, and if necessary, get yourself away from him if he refuses. Or just go silent entirely.

He will try every trick in the book to engage you, he'll guilt you, call you a horrible person, and whatever else...but if you simply don't respond (even to defend yourself) there's nothing he can do. You just have to get in your mind that there's no way you can please him or make him happy.

My guess is that the company knows he's a piece of work, and sent you out with him because you're the new guy and everyone else knows better. So get through this and then work with someone else next time.

It really isn't that complicated. You are making it so by agreeing to engage in his drama in one way or another. Limit your conversation and communication to the absolute minimum required to do your job, have absolutely zero communication on any other topic, split the work so you don't have to work together except when absolutely necessary. basically wall him out except when it's unavoidable. And then, be 100% professional, and if he doesn't, simply withdraw entirely.

14. Dare2bProud

Oh sheesh, its pathetic. I was ignoring his massive texts today and I got one that said, "Hello? Are you not getting my texts." Than when we were heading to rehearsal, he mentioned how he didn't appreciate me ignoring his texts and I frankly told him that his texts stress me out. He also told me that he is not someone who stays mad long. Told me how excited he for me was that I am getting to do the dance workshop I wanted and how proud he was of me. HUH? Ugh. I told him I wasn't angry or mad I was just being passive cause I feel like my opinions and thoughts don't matter, so why would I be involved in a conversation when I keep getting beat up. He told me that my thoughts and opinions do matter, but I can do whatever I want. He also brought up that he had nothing to do last night and why I didn't get a hold of him to maybe do some work. I told him that I feel like the only time that is allowed to me is rehearsal time and that he is too busy during the day and after rehearsal and what a time crunch it is. That's what I assume unless otherwise stated and than he told me, "well I'm stating it now that you can have me anytime." HUH?

So am I stepping in the right direction? He is so emotional unstable and he does seem like an emotional abuser. One day he beats me up over stuff, tells me he doesn't have time and dislikes me. The next day he's proud of me and has all the time in the world. How does his boyfriend put up with this?

15. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When one tactic fails ("nobody likes me"), you go for another ("you're an important person, and I appreciate you"). Stay civil but keep him at arm's length.

Lex

16. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's because he needs your attention and will change tactics and do absolutely anything in order to get it. Whether he stays mad long or not is irrelevant.

Excellent. So he's (claiming, at least) to give you permission to ignore him. This is what you need to do :slight_smile:

Again, it's the same pattern... he wants to drag you into his drama, and will do absolutely anything to do it. If having a breakdown and drawing you into his drama with his BF doesn't work, then he'll try being nice / guilting you / anything else he can possibly think of. Just don't buy into any part of it; it doesn't matter whether he's angry at you, proud of you, ready to kill you, or ready to rip your clothes off and have wild sex; just keep him completely at arm's length. Talk to him when necessary, don't tell him how you're feeling, don't ask him how he's feeling, don't get involved in his drama or tell him about yours. Make a resolution to yourself to just stay as far away from him as you can. All you need to say is that you need your space, and you'll do what you need to during rehearsals and shows, but outside of that, you'd like to have your space to yourself, and would appreciate it if he would let you have that space.

It's clear that he has enormous boundary problems (specifically, he has no boundaries at all.) People with boundary issues are incapable of understanding that they are violating other people's boundaries, and they generally get upset/angry/confused when others try to impose boundaries. But if you are really, really clear and consistent, set the boundaries (such as not responding to texts at all, unless directly related to work, and not responding to anything related to his drama, and not sharing any of yours with him) he will eventually "get it" and be more respectful of your boundaries.

Keep in mind that if he perceives that "nice" doesn't work, he'll almost certainly go back to "you hate me" or "you're a piece of crap" or "you're being unfair to me" or "i'm a worthless piece of crap and want to die" or whatever else he can dream up that he thinks will get a rise out of you. Your job is to simply avoid getting sucked in at all costs; even saying "your texts stress me out" isn't the best, because it's letting him know that he *does* affect you. The goal is that no matter what he does, you don't allow it to have any affect on you.

I think you're starting, you just have to take more steps, and be really, really strict and clean. The first time you are even slightly unclear or inconsistent or ambiguous with your boundaries, he'll drive a truck through the loophole, so just be really cautious.

His bf is equally messed up in a different way; it's a match made in heaven. :slight_smile:

17. Jim1454

Yes - what Chip said. You did the right thing by ignoring his texts but you could have been more neutral on your reason for not responding.

As Chip said - he's going to swing back and forth from your best friend to hating you - and it wouldn't surprise me at all if he did eventually get around to wanting to sleep with you. Now THAT would introduce a whole pile of drama into his life - and you'd be in it up to your neck. So STAY AWAY - especially in that scenario!

18. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lol, if that's what happens in heaven, I'm not sure if I want to go there :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But yeah, this proves you're on the right track. Just remain adamant and keep your boundaries. Even if he suddenly becomes the epitome of reason, even if he begs for resetting the friendship and starting anew, even if he decides he loves you and wants to leave his boyfriend for you, it's all him trying to force attention. Because people don't just change overnight.

19. Dare2bProud

Oh, I doubt he's that type of guy. He has never once insinuated that. Though I do find it weird that he's afraid to come into my room alone. i just don't see him ever forcing himself on me. That would be strange.

20. Dare2bProud