1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dont know what to do next... (sorry about the length lol)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by justdontknow, Mar 9, 2010.

1. justdontknow

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I cant believe I'm about to put out my heart on an internet forum but its got to that point where i have no one i feel that i can turn to who is in the same situation so ill let it all out here. Basically I'm a girl, I'm 20 I'm bisexual, i've know that for a while now but over the last few years its like something inside is trying to push it out but I'm just keeping it all inside.
    Soo where to start.. when i was growing up i was quite tomboyish but i still used to have crushes on boys like every other girl.. as i got older about 14/15 i started looking at girls differently, like i was attracted to them but i never even thought about acting on it.. anyway when i was 16 i fell in love with a boy...my best friend at the time i and i was with him for two years and completely happy in that relationship.. then he broke my heart and i literally fell to pieces thinking my life was practically over...anyway a few months after that break up i met a girl at work...we got on really well after just a few days and she used to phone me and txt me all the time.. we actually connected so well at the time it was really weird... i wasn't attracted to this girl but at the time i was still curious about being intimate with a girl.. about a week after i bumped into her her i went to her house as she lived near where my friend who i was waiting for worked so it was just convenient.. when i got there we just sat down talked, watched tv and whatever else 'friends' do but for some reason i had a feeling something would happen with this girl.

Before that day i went to her house i got the feeling that she might of been flirting with me e.g leaning on me for no reason and other little things but i didn't know how girls flirted with girls so i just thought whatever.. anyway whilst at her house out of the blue she asked me had a ever kissed a girl before and a few other questions relating to that kinda thing..thats when i knew something was probably going to happen. so we're lying on her bed watching a film and I really cant remember what she said but she basically asked me to kiss her... my heart was racing so many thought were in my head but i just decided to go with the flow and do it.. then for the next couple of hours i forgot all about the friend i was waiting for and played around kissing and touching this girl. At the time it felt great and I couldn't believe it was actually happening.. However.. after i left her house i was overcome with guilt, I felt like i had just committed the biggest sin in the world.. my head was all over the place. After this happened the girl also kept calling/txting all the time... she wasn't out of the closet or anything but she wanted to start a relationship with me and i didn't feel the same way at all.. I just wanted to forget it ever happened and go back to normal.. what normal was...

the girl was still calling/txting weeks, even months later but i didn't want to continue anything with her...i didn't know if i was straight or not and i wasn't really attracted to her so i made it clear nothing else was going to happen. Also a few months after this i got back with my ex.. 1 night me and him were at a bar very drunk and a girl who i knew wasn't straight came sat on my lap.. started stroking my face, kissing my neck etc. it was such a random thing to happen and i actually couldn't believe it i had been curious for years about girls and in the space of a few months i'd got close to 2. So at this bar the girl carried on kissing my neck etc and obviously i was turned on by it so i just let her do it, my ex was quite excited by it so i just acted like i was going along with it for his entertainment even though i wasn't. Me and this ended up kissing that night but nothing more happened..

Since then i've split up with my ex and have been the most confused person on the planet. I have admitted to myself that i am bisexual but I'm way too scared to do anything about it. none of my friends or family know and i don't plan on telling them anytime soon but i cant live like this for much longer. I have been close to telling a couple of people but to say that i have trust issues is an understatement I just don't feel like anyone can truly understand my situation unless they've been there themselves so I feel like my friends won't accept and understand me... I am desperate to have more experiences with girls but I don't know where to start. Even writing this is a big thing to me. I just wish I had someone I could tell everything to cause I feel like I'm not being myself keeping it all bottled up inside but I'm too scared that i'll loose people close to me if they knew the truth so i don't know what to do.

And sorry about how long this is I didn't plan to write an essay lol.

2. adam88

Well, (*hug*)

Now that that's over with, congratulations. Admitting this to someone is the hardest thing in the world, even if it is only online. I only started coming out a few months ago, and going through my old posts is very... interesting. It's amazing how far I've come since then.

About coming out to others - do it at your own pace. It gets easier, until you get to the point that it's less comfortable to keep it in than it is to just spit it out. Until then, hang out here. Do you have any LGBT friends? It might help to start with them, too, when you're ready.

So, welcome to the club. :smilewave

3. Spectre

I am sure you will find that posting about it - even if you aren't directly talking to your friends/family - will be therapeutic for you. Admitting your sexuality is hard even to yourself, let alone "imaginary internet people." You should feel good about that. (*hug*)

Do you go to a university/college with any counselors? The nice part about a counselor is that you can tell them everything without the fear of "losing someone close," and they are obligated to keep it secret.

Also, what is it that makes you scared that you will lose people close to you if you come out?

4. justdontknow

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    thanks for the support.

I do have a few lgbt people I know but I wouldn't say I was close enough with any of them to tell them.

And I'm just scared that they wont take me for me really. I think if I decide to tell friends now they'll see it as me lying to them for the whole time I've known them. I've seen how they've reacted to people who have come out and it's not that they're homophobic but they distance themselves from them and I just don't want my friends to think they don't know who I am.. I don't think they'll see me as the same person.

5. Spectre

I can tell you that this is a huge misconception. Supportive friends and family will be happy that you are finally being true to yourself, and happy that you trust them enough to tell them. You are you, and your sexuality is part of you. Coming out to them gives them a greater opportunity to take you for you. The whole "lying" to them about your sexuality up to that point will be completely overlooked or unimportant, unless they really aren't your friends. And unless you take on an alternate personality depending on what gender you're with, they probably aren't going to see you as a different person. :slight_smile:

Take baby steps. If you decide to come out, start with the one person you feel will be most accepting.

6. adam88

What Spectre said. You are who you are. Nothing can change that. I fretted over coming out much as you did. A week after, it was amazing how much of a non-event it then seemed with time.

Part of my problem is I had a hell of a lot more self-delusion than you before coming out to myself. Somehow for years I never managed to connect "fantasizes about guys" with actually liking guys. I thought all straight guys did that. *shrugs* :wink: So yeah, going from actually believing I was straight to telling other people I wasn't in three week's time was a bit of a hectic pace for me. :slight_smile:

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! First off: (*hug*)

As it was mentioned by Spectre and adam88, self acceptance and being able to look at yourself in the mirror and say "I'm bisexual" is hard and often it can take a while before you come to terms with it. But you have already overcome a major, and arguably the hardest, hurdle in that you have started to accept it and started talking about it! Congrats on that! (*hug*)

Take it really day by day and try to become more comfortable with yourself before you come out to others, whether it be your friends or family. The more comfortable you feel with yourself, the more at ease you might feel in coming out. Over time, and as you become ready to come out, you will make the choices in terms of to whom you will come out first. You know your friends and who you can trust the most, and also who would be supportive and be someone who you could turn to if you need to talk.

Before we start coming out, we always worry about what will our friends say, or think of us. But most often, and as Spectre alluded to, our fears and worries are unfounded because our friends with whom we spend time with and trust will understand and realize that this is just another part of you, which you allow them to get to know. Friends will often times feel honoured and privileged knowing that part of you because talking and opening up about your sexuality is difficult.

If you are worried that your relationship might change with them, there are things that you can do to show them that you haven't changed and that you are still the same person and that your sexuality doesn' change anything about you or the things they like about you. Sometimes, relationship change because friends at times might feel that you have become a new person or have other priorities after your coming out to them. Yes, that might be there, but if you tell your friends "I'm coming out to you because I want you to know this part of me, and because I want to talk to you about it" you are already setting the stage for involving them in this part of your life too.

You have mentioned that you have a couple of LGBT friends. Now, and although you don't feel in particular close to them, but in some ways they are an important part of your support network. They are able to identify with what you are going through and will understand if you need support. Plus, sharing your experiences and listening to theirs or just asking one of them for a chat could help you in coming to terms with your own feelings better, understanding them in a wider context and looking forward. Talking about things with others who have gone through it, can really help.

Are you part of a LGBT support group? Should you not be, maybe try joining a support group either at school, or in your community. Being part of a support group is another part of a strong support network that you can rely upon if need be and draw strength from.

And of course feel free to talk to EC members as well. I'm sure if you approach a couple of members they will be more than happy to share their stories with you.

I hope this helps a bit! (*hug*)

8. gaz83

gaz83 Guest

you could always text or call that girl you were with. ask her if she just wants to hang out too. if she asks why u kinda ignored her just say you were fihguring things out. wouldnt be surprised if she has done the same thing already. maybe she already knows places to go and stuff for you. that way you will have someone near you supporting you. guess it all depends on if you wanna be friends again.

9. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It has been said before, but I'll stress it again: this is what we all feared just before coming out. And it never happens. Friends didn't pick you because you were straight, they won't drop you because you're gay.
    And when you tell them, there's bound to be room for explanation. You can explain that until recently you didn't know, and it took some time to admit it even to yourself. Basically you haven't been hiding it for all this time. You're just now discovering it, and they're getting the news as it happens.

Of course, it's going to take ome time for them to adjust to the news. terms like "gay" or "bi" come with a lot of stereotypes and assumptions, and those might clash with the image they have of you. They'll need to accept that the stereotypes are just that: stereotypes, and not an accurate portrayal of you. But you can solve that by just being the same you as you always were while hanging out with them. The'yll come around to the idea pretty quickly. For some of my friends, it took a day, for others a week, for some a month. Never really more than that, though.

As Mirko said: even if you aren't really close to GLBt friends, they understand in a way that's hard for straight people to understand easily. They'll know what you're going through and might have some tips of their own, or just be able to lend you a shoulder to lean on. They don't have to be our best friends to be helpful.

It's stressful to even contemplate coming out, I know. But once you manage to do it, you'll feel a lot better. In the meantime, do post around hee and read other people's stories. Those can help a lot as well!

10. Jim1454

Hi there, and welcome to EC! I'm glad you found this forum, because I really think it can help. It certainly helped me.

What you're going through sounds very normal. It's to be expected that you'll be confused and scared and feeling a little isolated from your friends and family - knowing this about yourself and keeping it a secret.

As has already been said, coming out is a process - and we all go at a different pace and do it differently. There's no right or wrong approach, really. Whatever works for you. And what you feel terrified about today you eventually feel quite comfortable with over time.

People generally understand that this isn't easy for the person coming out. And they don't judge us for having waited to tell them. If you've witnessed friends becoming distant from other friends who have come out, I don't think it's because of the timing of the coming out. I would say that they're uncomfortable with the person for some reason.

Sometimes I think it's the person who comes out who feels uncomfortable as well. You're not sure what to say or do. But the reality is that you don't have to say or do anything. You just keep being yourself, and doing and saying the things that you've always done adn said. This isn't nearly as big a deal (being bi / gay) as we make it out to be in our heads. And the more casual you can be about it, the more casual the people around you will be.

So hang out here. Get comfortable with who you are. That will go a long way towards you feeling comfortable in telling the people you know about this part of yourself.

Welcome - and good luck!

11. Gambit

I know how you feel because I'm going through a similar situation. For years I've been denying that I was attracted to guys more than to girls. I hated this part of myself. As the years passed I got extremely confused about what I was and what I wanted (i'm still confused). I recently accepted that I'm attracted to guys, and that I might not be straight after all. But, right now, I have no idea if I'm bi, gay or whatever. The only thing that I have recently realized is that I'm open to find happiness in either a guy or a girl. As you, I have never told any of my friends or family about my confusion. Keeping this a secret is making me feel awful, but I know i'm not ready to let them know because i'm still trying to figure things out. I'm aware that keeping this secret and pretending to be something I am not is making mefeel bad, sad, depressed,etc. But, i dont want to rush any decisions. I want to take my time and make a good decision and feel confortable to myself. So, as many others already mention, take your time before letting others know. EC has been a great help for me, I hope it will help you too.
    Good luck

12. Zumbro

I will agree with Mirko I think. First off, your friends will stick with you if they're really good friends. It may be possible that the distance created between them and their not-straight friends was natural. Friends do grow apart, so this may have been the case.

As for not wanting to tell your LGBT friends, keep in mind it won't matter how well they know you. They've gone through exactly what you are, and I can almost guarantee they will keep your secret until you are public about it. (Gay people can still be assholes though, so be careful who you tell still). If you want to tell someone not on the internet, and don't want to tell your friends yet, the LGBT community will be there for you.