1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I wrong? [Friend disagreement]

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Mar 10, 2010.

1. MusicIsLife

So my friend sent me this video like, "Oh you need to see this I died laughing!" and it was a parody of katy perry's i kissed a girl. Initially i found it funny, but as the video went on it began to perpetuate lesbian stereotypes to such an extreme I found it much less funny and much more insulting.

I told my friend that i didn't find it very funny, and I explained that I found it insulting because of their extreme use of stereotypes in that way.

She didn't understand, and when I tried to explain it to her she insisted that I was being too sensetive, and she kept trying to make herself seem the victim, because she kept saying stuff like: "Well, since I'm straight I probably won't understand what you're making such a fuss about..."

Like, really? I'm so, so, so upset. I'm normally a very laid back person but when it comes to gay jokes and stuff like that is where I draw the line. When we're still struggling for equal rights in so many countries, I don't think its right to perpetuate the gay sterotypes.

She says I was overreacting, was I?

2. Spectre

Errr, ummm, can you link us to the video?

3. RaeofLite

If that's the MadTV parody, then no, you're not overreacting. I scowled in repulsion when I watched that. It was hard to finish, but I did it.

Of course, she wouldn't understand. It is hard to understand someone if you don't have a lot of empathy (some people are gifted with this as a trait by being able to put themselves in shoes of others). And since she's not a 'minority' like queer people are, then she wouldn't understand it.

If you found a parody of something she really liked or if she has certain mannerisms (ie: if she's an 'airhead' or some other thing) and showed it to her, maybe she'd get the message. I don't mean to insult your friend but... really I can understand your point.

4. MusicIsLife

Yeeeup thats the one. For anyone who hasn't seen it:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDIj_2cQSws[/YOUTUBE]

5. Spectre

I just watched it, and I would have to agree with Lisa. It was done in poor taste. MADtv has been terrible for quite a long time. This doesn't surprise me.

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I don't think you are overreacting. I stopped watching MadTV a long time ago because it has gotten progressively worse.

Maybe try talking to your friend again and ask her to put herself in your shoes.

7. RaeofLite

Mhmm. The only good MadTV clip I can remember was the iRack and Apple products one.

Making fun of gay marriage and Ellen doesn't help our cause. :dry: It just says that homophobia's ok.

8. Zumbro

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the issue. I don't think you're overreacting too much, nor is your friend being insensitive. Keep in mind too that your friend isn't lying when she says she doesn't understand the issue. She isn't a lesbian (I assume) so doesn't get the same emotions out of it you did.

I personally didn't think it was funny. I wasn't offended (but then again, I'm not a lesbian). I just think the sketch was not that funny. :/

If you want funny, go for Jingleheimer Junction. :grin:
    http://www.yidio.com/snl---jingleheimer-junction/id/3053791310

9. ArcaneVerse

+1, i dont think its funny and i really dont like it because i love ellen :icon_bigg

10. amberger

First off, I love Ellen. Like a lot. And honestly, this was so disrespectful to her. I mean, i guess i don't see how they're making fun of ALL lesbians. It seems like it's just Ellen. But still, it's wrong. And I don't like it. I think you have a valid argument.

11. Eleanor Rigby

I don't think you're overreacting, I find this video very offensive while I don't get half of the lyrics. This is just stupid basic lesbophobia in my book.

12. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In most cases I'd say when they are making fun of gay stereotypes it's done with only funny intentions. And I'd have no problem with that, but this is clearly just distasteful. It's not only pointing out gay stereotypes but it's making them seem like something disgusting that no normal person would ever want.

There's a certain struggle to get around stereotypes when you're coming out so when I see them displayed like this, it's like a slap in the face. Not only do they say things that make it look like you shouldnt want those things, but they're also promoting the idea that all gays and lesbians are that way.

So you're friend's a jerk for not even attempting to understand why you're upset...

13. D_Alejandro

Regardless of what it is, you should be comfortable with who you are. Yes, there are stereotypes that can be attributed to certain people, but not everyone fits into them. Remember to be confident and love yourself for who you are. Of course they are not going to understand, especially if they are straight! Everyone has a different opinion and different approach to things. You shouldn't let it get to you. Trust me, I've been there SO many times and people do like to make themselves the victim and blame you for "Lack of humor." I find that ridiculous. What some might find funny, others might find offensive.

Just remember to be confident in yourself and defend your image when you feel attacked...but do it politely!

Feel better! (*hug*)