1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unemplyment Woes :/

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Fiender, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Fiender

So, I'm an 18 year old high-school graduate. I did well in school (well enough, at least), and one might thing I'd be at a high point in my life. Wrooooooong.

I am unemployed, and there don't seem to be a lot of jobs in my area. I'm not sure exactly what to do. I've put in application to my local walmarts, and I've asked my sister and my mom to look out at the places where they work in the event an opening comes up.

I have NO money, but an abundance of things that I need money for (New computer, drivers license, a car, I need work done on my teeth, etc.)

So, suggestions?

2. Zumbro

The only thing I can suggest is to keep putting in applications everywhere. Wal-mart, Kohl's, a gas station, anywhere. The turnover at any retail store is so high you'll get a call for an interview eventually.

3. Jim1454

Is this a summer job you're looking for? Or permanent?

The landscaping season is just about upon us. Maybe there are property management companies that are looking for summer help.

4. Johnnieguy

Jim has a good idea. Summer gardening is a GREAT way to make some money.

I'm kind of in the same shoes. I'm a 23 year old college graduate looking for work. I've found hourly stuff but nothing else yet. I'm thinking I probably need to go back to school and get even more education before I can find a salaried job w/ benefits.

Just a word of caution. Some places may try to get you to work for free (it's called an "interview shift" or something. You come in and work for half a shift, and they get free labor off of you. Don't put up with it.)

5. RaeofLite

Oh and each week (a week after you've turned in your resume) or days later for that matter, call the places you handed resumes into and ask if they reviewed your resume. It'll show that you're attentive and want the job compared to others.

6. Gaetan

I'm a recent college graduate, and I'm having trouble myself finding a job. :frowning2:

I would suggest getting in contact with your state's Department of Labor. They'll usually have job listings, and a website you can post your resume/cover letters to so employers can see them.

Basically, apply anywhere. Follow up. Go in and shake hands with a manager if you can. Put a face to the name. All I can say is, keep at it.

Everyone will find a job eventually, so don't lose hope.

7. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gentle persistence helps a lot, though in this economy, quite a few people have learned that so it's not as easy a way in as it once was.

Going (at a not-busy time of day) and asking to meet the manager or hiring manager, dressed up nicely (and I don't mean blue jeans and a t-shirt), and personally hand in your application helps. Even more, making a separate sheet to attach that highlights particular attributes or relevant skills you have (good with people, reliable, volunteer work, etc.) can't hurt. That helps less at large chains, but it still sets you apart from the crowd a little bit.

Yard work and landscaping can be a great thing, as others have suggested. Make flyers and take them around your neighborhood or close-by areas offering your services to mow lawns, rake, clean up, help with spring cleanings. Respond to inquiries promptly and show up to offer an estimate quickly. I know people who make really good money doing that :slight_smile:

8. lostinthought9

I know how you feel. Back when I was searching for my first job at 16, it took me about 3 months before I could find one. So, my advice is to, once you fill out an application, turn it in to the General/Hiring Manager and make a good impression. It worked for me. After a while of job-searching, I was just fed up with not getting a call, so I applied again, and met the manager and got hired all in the same day.

Like the others have said, be persistent.

9. Sylver

As someone who does regular hiring (just not in upstate NY :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) here's a few things to think about.

First of all, as the others have said, send out resumes like spam. Send one to everyone and anyone who has hired anyone over the past 5 years, whether they're hiring or not. You never know. And make sure that your resume is up to date and that it is effective. It's your personal sell-job, so it has to be good. Trust me, I know what it's like to look through 200 resumes to find one person for one job... the bad ones quickly get filed in what we like to call "the big round filing cabinet on the floor".

Second, consider that many people (I'd contend most people) find work through networking. Now at 18 you might not have an extensive network yet, but you may surprise yourself. Talk to your favorite teachers and ask them if they know of anything or anyone hiring, or if they can put in a good word for you. Ask them for references for your resume, and use the opportunity to see if they know of any job possibilities. Same with family, even extended family. Talk to uncles and aunts, cousins, even your friends. Let them know that you are looking and to keep their eyes open. Look for everyone you know in your life that's your age or older and make sure they know you're looking for work and that you'd appreciate it if they let you know if they are aware of someone who's hiring or even thinking of hiring.

Another point to consider, think about volunteering or an internship for a period. Neither of these will pay in the short term, but they will get your foot in the door. A lot of internships go on to become full-time paid work because it's an easy risk-free way for an employer to get to know you. Consider it an "investment" for a future job. In fact, don't be afraid to propose such an arrangement to a prospective employer, even if they aren't explicitly asking for it. Tell them you'd be willing to work for the first 3 months for free. It might make you "more interesting" to them than the other candidates they are looking at, and that's half the battle when you're just another name on a pile of resumes. Of course this assumes you're looking for permanent work and not just a summer job.

And my final tip - and this is how I met my business partner :slight_smile: - consider doing something totally radical as a job application. I met her when I hired her a number of years ago, and not only did we become good friends but we're now equal shareholders in our software company. When she applied for a position I was looking for, she didn't just send me a resume - she sent me a freaky "package" with a CD she made using Flash, she hand-made the packaging for the resume, which was printed on a perfectly round piece of paper (?), and she included a photo portfolio of her work. Out of 100+ resumes hers was the only one like this. Not only did that make me more than aware of it, but it sat on the top of the pile because it was so unique. It stood out. More than that, it told me that she had an active mind, that she wasn't afraid to take risks, and that she must have really wanted the job. Sure it was unconventional, but sometimes that's what it takes to stand out from the crowd. You'd have to adapt such a strategy to your own specific situation and personality, but remember that your biggest enemy is sitting on the bottom of the pile.

Anyway good luck with the hunt, and keep your spirits up! :thumbsup: