1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cpr?!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by amberger, Mar 11, 2010.

1. amberger

My girlfriend and i have been together for almost three years now and she is applying for a job as a lifeguard. This means she has to be able to do CPR. Am I valid to be upset about this? Or incredibly selfish? It really does upset me though. Opinions please?!

:confused:

2. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

She needs to do it to save peoples lives, no need to get jealous, every lifegaurds needs to learn it. Its not like she gong to enjoy mouth to mouthing strangers,if you think about it, you can help her practice :slight_smile:

3. Connor22

why are you annoyed? now you have another excuse to french kiss! lol I know thats not how you do CPR but still

4. Miles D

I don't understand why you would be offended. It's not that you're being selfish, you are just being completely unreasonable!
    Am I correct in assuming that you are upset about your girlfriend saving lives?! This makes you upset?!
    If you were drowning in a pool, wouldn't you want someone to save your life, regardless of whether they were dating someone?! If you're on a date with your girlfriend and you see someone carrying heavy boxes, would you not help them carry the boxes to their car?! I fail to see how your girlfriend saving lives would make you insecure in your relationship.

Incredulously,
    Miles

5. padre411

The current version of CPR is chest compressions only to the rhythm of the Bee Gees "Stayin' Alive."

Is this more acceptable?

6. NickT

I get annoyed when people get freaked out over CPR. This is the scenario that I'd play out:

Me: *performs CPR on someone*
    Someone else: EEEW you kissed him/her!
    Me: Yeah. I did. To save his/her f***ing life! At least SOMEONE has the maturity and the BALLS to do so! I don't see you breaking your neck to save him/her! Now shut up, grow up, and call 911!

Also, I thought the compressions were to the beat of "We Will Rock You?" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

7. uptownboy

just think that she's doing that only for her job or saving someone's life.. you mustn't get angry about that

8. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you are just looking at it from the wrong angle cpr is nothing like kissing someone and nothing like getting close to someone. I know occassionally in the movies they make it look romantic where one person gives the other cpr and the come round and fall in love but in reality its nothing like that. You have nothing to be worried about.

9. Spectre

To answer your questions, in order:

No, you're not.
    Yes, it's selfish.
    Get her to practice on you?

10. prester

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am a qualified first aider (UK 1st aid at work)

Current practice is 30 compressions and 2 breaths and repeat until handover to medics or exhaustion - spontaneous recovery is unlikely although possible. (I like "Nelly the Elephant" as my tune)

Practice on a breathing person is not possible due to the risk of injury.

Assuming your concerns are about sexual connotations - it really is not like that. The learning and practising is done on a manikin (sp?) and your brain really is busy worrying about getting the drill correct.

If you are concerned about possible disease transmission. Reputable trainers clean off the manikin's mouth between trainees. And reputable employers provide barriers for the 1st aider/lifeguard against the minimal chance of catching anything if the real thing happens.

So please don't worry.

Regards

Prester

PS If your concern is something else let us know and we will try to help.

#10 prester, Mar 11, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  11. Spectre

I was kidding.

But yeah, in most circumstances it isn't even direct mouth to mouth contact.

12. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, as the others said, you’re probably thinking about the romantic movie variety of CPR, where it’s basically two hot people kissing.
    That couldn’t be further from the truth, however. I’ve had CPR training and I can tell you that yes, when doing CPR you’re pressing your mouth to someone else’s, but that’s about as far as the comparison goes. You’re trying to save a life, and trying to get air into people’s lungs (I’ve never kissed anyone, but I’m pretty sure that if you’re blowing air into other people’s lungs while kissing, something is seriously wrong :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

As said above, training is on a mannequin, so there’s not really going to be happening anything there, and in reality, the alternative to CPR is standing and watching as someone dies in front of your eyes.

More to the point of relationships; if you’ve been with this girl for three years, I’m sure you have something more going on between you. Something that isn't going to be upset by possible fleeting lip contact with a stranger who almost drowned.

Of course, if you’re upset, you’re upset. We can say there’s no reason, but when you’re upset, the best way of dealing with it would be to talk to your girlfriend about it in a calm manner. Maybe make a joke about it. It doesn’t really help you to fret about this in isolation. Your GF can probably defuse your anxiety better than we can!

13. Ben

Ben

Just remember that CPR isn't sexual at all and you should be fine.

14. Andrew1403

Andrew1403 Guest

they dont practice cpr on ppl...they do it on manikins/dummys...if she ever does use cpr it would be to save someones life...no offense ...but i think thats pretty selfish to not allow her to save someones life if the moment ever happened...lip to lip contact is not in a sexual manner when giving someone cpr

15. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Since one doesn't practice on people, that means the only people she'll be giving CPR to are Resusci-Annie and people whose hearts have stopped. Here's hoping you won't be jealous of either of those. :slight_smile:

Lex

16. Zumbro

I agree with everything above. There is nothing at all sexual about CPR, and all that you can think when you do it is "oh shit, this person is dying."

Why don't you see if you can go get trained with her, so you know what it's all about? It's certainly a valuable life skill. The rules on how to do it will almost undoubtedly change next year (as they can't seem to agree), but learning it at all could save someone's life.

17. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I agree with Zumbro. You get trained also! You'll realize that this is a medical procedure that could save someone's life and you are being totally ridiculous by making it into something sexual. My God, if someone actually had to perform CPR on someone they would most likely be limp and blue. Not attractive. Also, someone mentioned above that with the new CPR they aren't doing mouth to mouth anymore. So no worries.

18. Milord

Trust me, you DO NOT feel like "kissing" the person or even enjoying having your mouth on their mouth while doing CPR. All you think about is save their life.

19. Mogget

I'm actually a tad more sympathetic than a lot of the other posters. You're currently only out to four or so people. Which means that you probably can't engage in even the most minor PDAs with your beloved (though you're a girl so you have a bit more leeway...but still). And now you're girlfriend's gonna be touching people, in public, which you don't really get to do.

So, yeah, it's natural that you're jealous, if a bit silly. Selfish? Perhaps. But don't beat yourself up over it. Try to work out what it is that's upsetting you, then deal with it. You've been with her for three years, this isn't worth ending it.

20. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would offer the suggestion to explore your jealousy, meaning, carry it beyond just "this makes me feel jealous." Ask yourself why, and what could happen, and just follow the line of reasoning down. What I think you'll find, ultimately, is that you're not feeling comfortable or confident in *yourself* and that somehow, at some level, you are afraid that you don't deserve your girlfriend.

If I'm right, I would suggest that you ask your girlfriend to talk with you about it, admit that your feelings are irrational, and you know it's coming from somewhere else, but ask her to listen and honor you, and support your feeling and help you through this. Basically, let yourself explore with her those fears. Out of that, you should be able to get support and reassurance from her which should ultimately help your relationship to grow stronger.

Let me know if that helps.