1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

facebook?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Prccgeek, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Prccgeek

What are your peoples opinions on the facebook status "interested in" section? Mine used to say guys. Now I just have it blank. But I am out to a lot of people by now. I don't know. I was just debating changing it. And blocking it from a few people like my brother and my crazy homophobic piano teacher who always asks me if one of her past students who is a friend of mine is "still doing that gay thing" and saying how sick it is. (part of me wants to tell her at the end of the year before I run off to college and give her some intense gay pride speech... but no, that would be bad. She would probably through one of her many bibles at me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) Sorry about the tangent.

But yeah... what are your opinions. and does it pop up on everyones feed?

2. Aoifeee

I've never seen a changed "interested in" pop up in a livefeed so I don't think it does...
    I've left mine blank and I plan to leave it that way, alot of people I know have left it blank actually. OH and...if I were you I would totally come on to the piano teacher..:wink: :lol:

3. Johnnieguy

No one will notice if you change it. Seriously. It took one guy a whole year to notice I changed mine.

Something else to consider: Leaving "interested in" blank generally leads people to assume you are gay. For whatever reason, 97.6% of straight people will let you know that they are straight on facebook. But it's significantly less than that in the homo world.

4. EM68

I've been thinking of coming out on Facebook. I am at the point that I don't care who knows I'm gay, except for some people at work. They are about a third of my 'friends'.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most people aren't gonna bother looking. If they do, and they see it's left blank, they'll just assume you're gay. :slight_smile:

Lex

6. Prccgeek

They wouldn't have to look hard either. I mean I am a "fan" of LGBT stuff and the trevor project and whenever someone posts about gay rights stuff I always comment. so yeah... but the thing is that I am bi. do you think people would assume I was just a lesbian if I leave it blank?

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I think there is no need to worry really what other people think. I mean if you are a fan of or subscribe to LGBT fan sites and you comment on them (showing up on the news feed) and you haven't lost any friends or received a comment on it, changing your 'interested in' should not change anything then.

But here is the thing though. I think we worry too much about what other people think about us, when it fact the most important thing is that you are comfortable with it and want to do it. Does it matter what other people really think about it? Not really, because your true friends and supporters will always be there for you, no matter what you have listed under 'interested in.' :slight_smile:

8. Prccgeek

wow! There are three other threads about facebook tonight! Guess I lot of people are thinking about it. But I guess it is silly. But I might change mine just so people no that I am bi and don't just assume I am gay. I think I will go through with it. The only thing I am a bit worried about is when you send a friend request to people, that is when people look at your info page. so when I go off to college next year and are friending lots of new people. many of them will see it. But really, I want to be completely out from the beginning in college. The thought of it just makes me a bit nervous.

9. Grantious

i used to leave thoes area's blank, but kinda got over it when i left school :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. ThePug

After I had come out to most of the people I wanted to I decided to change mine to interested in men. Nobody has really said anything about it.

11. egnvectr

egnvectr Guest

I don't think leaving it blank implies that you're gay... most of my friends have it blank and most of them are straight.

12. Prccgeek

Well, I changed it! so that is that. no one will probably notice, but I still feel really good about it :slight_smile: I changed my status and tried to ask a girl out this weekend. Two very new things! I guess I had a lot of confidence randomly!

13. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Great that you feel good about it! :slight_smile:

And congrats on doing new things and feeling more comfortable and confident!