1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with my fathers death

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Chaz, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Chaz

Hi everyone..Not entirely sure where to start on this, it's hard to think straight.

On march 3rd, my father died of cancer. This was 4 months from his diagnosis back in november. My mother died when I was 8 because a doctor messed up a gal-bladder operation. As of right now I'm living in a place that I'll eventually lose because I cannot pay the bills, and I'm trying to finish school, which is doing nothing but adding more stress to my mind.

The problem I'm having isn't as much depression or anger as a complete lack of any emotion or care for anything. The last week I've been dog tired and all I've wanted to do is stare at a wall or sleep. I can't think straight, and it often takes me several minutes to think of what to say or do.

I originally didn't want to go back to school, because in all honestly as long as you go to college and get some degree, your high school record is erased, but now I'm doing it for the money purposes. Without, I'd be homeless and hungry very very soon. Another problem is that I have noone to vent this to in real life. I've tried, but it seems that I keep making them mad when I'm trying to express my emotions and explain things to them the only way I know how. The best feeling right now would to be held, but that's not a possibility because of where I live, in a town of 3400 where I don't really like anyone my age and I don't have the money to go anywhere else to try to look for someone.

Has anyone ever been like this? Is there anything at all I can do that would be easier than just moving on, because I don't feel I can right now. Thanks for your support.

2. Sylver

You really need to get some help and support after all you've gone through, and sooner rather than later. It is typical to experience such a shut-down of emotions after all of this, but that doesn't mean it's healthy. In fact I'm going to suggest that it's an indication that you're burying some deep emotions that need to be dealt with promptly.

Frankly I'm not sure how you're coping right now. Do you have a support network of people who are caring for you? I mean at 17 I would seriously hope you're not left on your own... You still need to be in the care of adults who can help you gradually enter adulthood with all of it's responsibilities, not just thrown to fend for yourself. So please let me know that you're among a circle of people who are looking out for you and caring for you right now. If not, that's the very first thing that needs to be addressed.

You also need to be around someone who can love you and hug you and who you can cry to, and it doesn't sound like that's the case. Do you have family, like brothers or sisters? Are there aunts or uncles who can help you through this? You need to be living with someone who loves you and is willing to be there for you.

You would really benefit from professional counseling of some kind, whether it be psychological or from a church or at school. You need someone to help you work through these emotions that you're obviously having a hard time dealing with on your own (and rightfully so because you've been through a lot). They will allow you to vent and say what needs to be said without being judgmental or making you feel bad about it. Consider contacting a minister at your church or a school counselor as a starting point. But I would do this soon, so that they can help you work through things before they become a problem.

And it's probably not the right time to worry about moving on or moving to the city. Give yourself some time to heal and to get on firm ground. You are young and you have lots of time ahead of you - there's no rush to get your life going again. Take the time to grieve and also the time necessary for you to work through things.

There's lots of caring people here, so you can also lean on EC whenever you need to. I'll offer you a hug (*hug*) and even another one (*hug*) just for good measure!

3. Sylver

One more thing, you of all people should not have to be worried about money and paying bills and losing your place - that is unacceptable. Are you really in a situation where you're the sole provider for your basic living needs?

4. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First of all (*hug*). I know that a virtual hug is only little consolation, but it’s better than nothing.

I can’t really tell you how to emotionally deal with the loss of your father. I lost my dad a few years ago, and I can’t say I really reacted all that different from what you describe. I didn’t even cry or feel angry or anything. I don’t really think I even talked to anyone about what I did or didn’t feel It was mainly a lack of any emotion whatsoever. I guess that sometimes cutting off like that is the mind’s natural way of reacting to such drastic changes. In my case, I feel like not focusing on them, just going to school and dealing with emotions on my own time allowed them to heal “below the surface” as it were.

Going through it all alone isn’t really the best option, though. Is there any family nearby you could fall back on? Even if you’re not extremely close, it can enormously help if you don’t need to do everything by yourself. They don’t need to be your same age or even your best friends to be of help in supporting you through this! Also, your school might have a councilor who you could talk to about this.
    And, of course, there’s people here. If you feel like venting, don’t hesitate to do so here. As I said above, getting e-hugs is a poor substitute for being held physically, but it can still feel really good.

On the bright side, there are lots of possible safety nets for people in your situation. If you’re without parents to support you then there are bound to be grants that you can apply for and support options you could tap into. The trick is to find them. Unfortunately, I’m not very knowledgeable on how the US system works. Maybe it’s best to inquire about options like these at school. And I’m sure that there’s some people here who know more about options like these and can offer some advice.

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Chaz, do you have relatives that you can stay with for awhile? You shouldn't be alone right now and you most certainly shouldn't be taking on financial responsibilities.

6. someguy82

I wish I could offer anything more than condolences, but at a person I've found dealing with death is a weakness of mine. It doesn't impact me in the way it does other people, and it's a situation where I struggle actually being empathetic.

That aside, I'm terribly sorry for your loss. It will hurt, perhaps it always will a little, but you will make it through this. Remember the good and bad, and know that no matter what you're father will always be with you in your memories, your actions and who you are as a person.

7. Chaz

To make it a bit more clear, My sister in-law is handling the money, and making sure I have enough to eat and the rest. But noone in my family can pay off a car, truck, trailer, and house that all owe. And as of right now I really don't have anyone close to me that I would be able to express myself to, especially in my family.

8. Sylver

Are you living alone right now or are you living with your brother and sister in law?

As for someone to express yourself to, that's why I would so strongly recommend involving a school counselor, a pastor or a psychologist - someone who will listen to you without jugding you and who you can let it all out to. I just don't think it's a good idea for you to bottle this up inside, especially in the absence of family who can share in your grief and emotions. You should not have to feel alone at a time like this.

9. Chaz

I'm living alone.

The only problem with counselors and psychologists that I have is that I don't have a relationship with them (for lack of a better term). If I don't feel "close" to someone, they don't see my personal side and I can't seem to let myself show them.

10. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well no one expects you to trust a psychologist or counselor right away, it takes a few meetings and hard work to become close to them. It doesnt happen over night, it's like making a new friend who is good at listening and giving advice and helping you sort things out. If there's no one else you feel comfortable talking with, this would be your best choice. I would ask your guidance counselor at school about this, they can probably help you find someone to talk to.

Also, deffinately stay in school, because although you're right about your high school record being fairly unimportant in the rest of life, some companies DO look for a high school diploma and you most likely wont be getting into college without a diploma or GED.

11. Chaz

I've had a therapist since 2 years after my mothers death, and still I cannot be one-hundred percent truthful about being gay or what's really going on in my mind sometimes, even after 7 years.

12. Sylver

Is there a possibility for you to move in with other members of your family, maybe your brother or an aunt or uncle? I just think there are multiple problems with you living alone right now - both in terms of your mental well-being and your financial situation. Especially the former - it isolates you at a time when you really should have human contact. Besides, you should be worrying about finishing school and planning where your life goes from here, not paying the bills each month and whether or not you can keep a house. This is forcing you to grow up a little too fast, and that could end up putting you behind in the long run. Someone needs to be concerned about your future and with your parents gone that needs to be you, someone who is able to care about you, and perhaps a professional.

On that note, have you considered telling your therapist that you're gay? Of all the people to tell, this person should be one of the very safest. You really can't expect them to help you if you're hiding important things like this from them. Consider that maybe you've created the perfect negative spiral in this relationship - your therapist doesn't have all the facts to work with so is unable to provide you with proper analysis and therapy, which in turn makes you skeptical about the value of your therapist. Please consider opening up to your therapist, because it might just turn around a process that should be helping you and not frustrating you.

13. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Chaz! First off, I am really sorry to hear about your loss. (*hug*) This is a difficult time for you and you shouldn't be all by yourself. Do you have friend to whom you can turn to? What about the rest of the family?

I do agree with that it would be good if you could see a counselor or a therapist. I would suggest that you should not do things such as coming out that could add even more emotional stress on you. Coming out at this stage is in many ways a secondary worry. Coping with the loss of your dad, and perhaps trying to come to terms with having lost both parents and trying to 'move on' are far more important at this stage. This has nothing to do with you being gay but rather with your emotional well being and being able to cope with it all. You want to make sure that you don't add any additional emotional stress on yourself. You are already dealing with quite an overwhelming situation. Your counselor/therapist can still help you with all the other things.

A counselor or a therapist could help you in moving forward in terms of putting your life back on track, and picking up the pieces and putting them back together. Having a counselor to talk to what ever you need to talk about can really help in terms of dealing with the situation. Take one thing at a time. If you can try talking with the extended family and try perhaps to move in with them, which would also provide you with some support. (*hug*)

14. Corny

Corny Guest

You are on autopilot at the moment. This can be helpful at the beginning, but later it can become a problem. You say you have a problem with therapists because you don't have a "relationship" with them. But it seems you at least somewhat can talk to us here - total strangers. Maybe this makes it easier for you. Have you tried calling an anonymous help (phone) line? Sometimes it already helps just to unload all what you have in your head on somehow. That way you get your head free, you can order your thoughts better again - and begin to make a plan for yourself.

15. Chaz

The reason it's easier for me is because I can express myself free of worry of judgement online, I'm behind a monitor. That and I never actually have to talk, I can just type it and delete things and re-do things as I see fit.

Luckily, I signed up for a group therapy session about 2 weeks ago and it just ended about an hour ago, and it really, really helped for right now. Thanks everyone for posting, I really appreciate it, and any more helpful comments are welcome.

16. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Chaz, I am glad you went to the group therapy session and that it helped a bit. If you can attend the next sessions as well. Attending them will allow you to see that you are not going through it all alone, because you are seeing others and are starting to deal with it. Take it day by day and try to talk to others as well. (*hug*)