1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Paxil and Social Anxiety

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LNahid2000, Mar 20, 2010.

1. LNahid2000

LNahid2000 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've been seeing a counselor for Social Anxiety Disorder for the last few months, and 2 months ago she advised that I go see a doctor to see if I could get some medication for anxiety. I was very anxious/avoidant about seeing the doctor but finally did it a month ago. She prescribed me Paxil but I'm still too scared to use the drug.

I'm really worried about the side effects and I'm not sure how it would help me. I'll also have to pay around $1 per pill since I don't have insurance, and I'm a student so I don't have much money. But at the same time I feel like I'm not getting any better, and I can't stand spending every weekend alone because I'm too anxious to hang out with my roommates, and too anxious to make new friends. I don't really know what to do. Anyone have any experience with Paxil or social anxiety?

2. Spectre

Hi LNahid2000, (*hug*)

Sorry to hear you're having some trouble with social anxiety.

You said you were going to counseling... has it been helping at all?
    And if you don't mind my asking, what is it specifically that makes you anxious about social situations?
    Do your roommates or friends know about it?

Personally, I think antidepressants are overprescribed and their side effects underreported. We don't even know the exact mechanisms by which they work. And sometimes side effects (particularly sexual) can be more devastating than the original condition the drugs were prescribed for. Some may even persist after the drug is stopped. That being said, sometimes the rewards outweigh the risks, especially in cases of depression.

3. Mugwump

I have been taking Luvox, so I can't help you with Paxil. However, you might be interested in www.socialanxietysupport.com - there are forums on there you can ask question in.

4. LNahid2000

LNahid2000 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Counselling hasn't been helping much. My counsellor wants me to start on various exposures, and I'm way too nervous to do them so that's where the medication is supposed to come in.

In social situations I'm usually scared that I won't know what to say, or that I'll seem too different from everyone else. Also, I don't have much experience in social situations so I get very uncomfortable.

My roommates don't know and I don't think I'd want to tell them. Only one friend knows, and he has a milder case of social anxiety.

5. Spectre

I'm sorry, but I don't buy into the whole notion that a magic pill is going to suddenly make it all better.

If your counselor isn't helping very much, perhaps find a different one. Although I can see where the counselor is coming from in wanting you to try various exposures. You can never conquer the fear unless you face it in some way or another.

Your social anxiety symptoms are actually quite common. Lots of people feel different, or like they won't fit in. Lots of people feel uncomfortable in unfamiliar environments with lots of people. Just know that you are not alone, and that it can and will get better if you're willing to try.

That being said, what interests you? What do you like to do? Perhaps do a search in your area to see if there are any local groups that are based on your interest. It is much easier to find conversation points when you have commonality and know a lot about the subject matter. Contact the leader by e-mail, and let them know you are very shy or nervous. Nobody worth anything is going to judge you for it. In fact, they can be very helpful when it comes to breaking the ice.

In any case, the more you put yourself out there, the less scary it will become.

Also, have you considered something like yoga or meditation (with a group!)? Doing activities to calm the mind can help a lot when it comes to anxiety in general.

6. Sylver

I'm sort of with Spectre on this one. I think medications should be the last resort. There are numerous non-pharamceutical methods and strategies for getting more comfortable around people that do work. I don't doubt for a moment that you have social anxiety disorder and that it is debilitating, but I do believe it is something you can work your way through without resorting to medication.

Do you have any friends or family that you feel comfortable around in a public setting? I would start with baby steps by enlisting their help. Maybe start by going out with them and one other person they know and trust but you don't. You're not trying to make friends with that person, only to practice being sociable around them. Make sure that person is in on it so they won't put any pressure on you. Go to a movie or for dinner or coffee - something low key and with no expectations. At first you don't even have to say anything to them, but then slowly get more aggressive. I think by gradually immersing yourself in social settings, starting with those at a maximum comfort level and working your way to increasing degrees of social adventure, then you can break the few things that are holding you back.

Good luck!

7. Andrew1403

Andrew1403 Guest

paxil is not the only antianxiety drug out there...if it dosent work for you talk to your person again and try somehting else....it will usually take a some time for the drug to start working...its not an instant fixer and never will be...but the use of medication does help

it takes a few weeks for it to really work...try the medication...im sure the side effects wont be bad at all...iv been on a few different medications as well...zoloft...lexapro and effexor xr....the side effects arnt that significant to be fearful to stop you from using it...

there is nothing wrong with using medication...it dosent work for everyone..but you do have to learn to put yourself out of your comfort zone...

#7 Andrew1403, Mar 20, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2010
  8. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm on the fence on this. I completely agree with Spectre that on the whole, all medications, particularly antidepressants and anti-anxiety ones, are grossly overprescribed. At the same time, they do have their place. However, I think for you, in this case, there are other options you could consider first.

For anxiety, many people find that meditative practices like yoga and breathwork can be really beneficial. I'm surprised your therapist hasn't suggested something of that nature, because #1 they're free (or close to free) and #2 it's something you can do anywhere at any time when you start to feel anxious. There are also some excellent cognitive-behavioral modification techniques and I suspect that's where she's going with the slow exposure approach.

Finally, there are some herbal/nutritional things that, while the scientific data on them is limited, do seem to have some benefits. Valerian root (the plant from which Valium came), and 5-HTP, which is an amino acid, have both been shown in at least some studies to be really helpful. 5-HTP in particular seems to have really dramatic effects on anxiety in a significant portion of those who try it, and both of these are pretty nonexistent as far as side effects go.

Paxil is an SSRI-class drug, which means it has antidepressant effects achieved by making more serotonin available. SSRIs aren't as bad as a lot of other drugs go as far as side effects, but a lot of people don't like the way it makes them feel.

So... if both money and concern about side effects is a big deal, it might be worthwhile to consider (and perhaps discuss with your therapist) the alternatives. One thing I will say is that very often, if you simply stretch yourself and take the leap and try the things that make you most afraid, you'll find that it resets your boundary and you automatically become less anxious. I know that sounds impossible, but i've personally worked with a bunch of people in similar circumstances, and it's rare to find someone that, once they simply take the leap and do the thing that scares the shit out of them, they find themselves in a whole new place and more able to take more steps without the need to use drugs as crutches.

9. LNahid2000

LNahid2000 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I am a member of SAS, but I don't really like going on that website anymore because it always feels so depressing to go on there.

I agree with you that a magic pill won't make it all better. But maybe it'll make me a little less nervous when exposing myself to social situations? My counselor actually brought up finding groups that fit my interests last week, but it terrifies me. I feel like I still won't know what to say, and no one else will say anything to me so I'll feel uncomfortable and not want to go back. I did go to a school group a few times before and that's how I ended up feeling, so I stopped going. Contacting the group leader beforehand seems like it might be a good idea, but I feel like I'd be judged for it (another big fear of mine).

I don't really have any close friends, and definitely don't have anyone that I could do this kind of thing with.

I don't know...I guess I just feel like I'm stuck, and I don't have much time left before I graduate (5 months). My school only offers free counseling appointments every 3 weeks and I feel like that isn't frequent enough. I'm leaning towards trying Paxil but just starting seems to be the hard part since I'm really afraid of the unknown. I guess I'll have to make a decision soon enough.

10. Spectre

I would just hate for you to go on it without being aware of all of the possible risks, then kick yourself for it later.

But really, let me put this forward to you: what do you have to lose by trying some of the other options?

I know it can be an extremely scary prospect. But if you sit around and do nothing, nothing will ever change. You have to be the one that wants to change - you need to want better things for yourself. Others have given you some great suggestions here. I hope you consider trying some of them.