1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Breakup?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by EM68, Mar 23, 2010.

1. EM68

For the past week I realized that things are not going to work out between my bf and I. I have written about this in threads about my bf wanting more space and he is not ready to commit. For the past month we have taken a step back wards. I agreed to give him the space he needs to figure out what he wants. I was not happy about it but I thought if it gave him time to assess what he wants it would be worth it. This break has allowed me to re-access what I need. I want to be more spontaneous. Right now we meet on certain days and talk a the same time at night. I told him that I would like to see him more, go and meet my friends and he keeps saying he is not ready. IF we are having a nice evening I would love to have him stay over and wake up together. It just seem like lately when I suggest we change it up a little he is not open to it.

Last week we were talking and he said he can not give me what I want. It seems like for the past few weeks it seems like we just talk about how he is not ready and not about the future. Its been a huge strain. We never argued but that seems like thats what we have been doing. Yes, we do have some good times together and he does have good qualities. He is caring and sweet. He is one of the most positive people I know.

On Sunday he gave me a note that he feels that with us we have a friendship and we are just dating. We both realize that for now our relationship is not going to grow. This pretty much sealed it with me that we need to call it quits. For the past week when he told me that he can not give me what I need I started to have second thoughts about if I wanted to continue. We talked last night I told him that I want to just remain friends and I just think what we want is too different. He threw in my face that if I call it quits that I would be closing the possibility of us developing into something more and he wants to continue in the away we are going. He wants to be in my life. I feel like I have tried. For the past couple of months our relationship has been stagnant and if anything gone backwards. I don't think what we have is healthy. If we are not going to grow together then is the point of continuing? I have been out for a couple of years and want to live my life. I want to be with someone who loves me and wants to grow with me. I know he loves me and wants to be in my life but he wants it all on his terms. I just don't think I can do this anymore.

2. Breakdown

i think u should keep with him, u never knw he might grow 2 start loving u over time?

bt as u said he wants space i think its him letting u knw.. well that he doesnt wanna b the 1 2 break up with u blah blah blah? (im just guessing)

bt just do what will make u happy, if u want more than what u gt i think u should let him go, (he might then reliaze how much he does want u)

lol this probly doesnt make sense bt eh

3. Just Adam

Ed i remember when you had your first date with this guy you were so happy im really sorry it has slowed down to a crawl. people develop their readiness to things in life at different paces, like im comfortable with i am bit i cant tell people really whereas someone who just figured who they are could come out as its nothing to them .

it sounds like you two talk alot but you dont really get him to open up, you talk about what you want and where you want this to go but you dont say how you feel or how he feels. i think you two need to sit down together asap and say to him how you feel that your worried and saddened that he doesn't seem ready to commit and his heart just doesn't seem to be in it, ask him how he feels about the relationship and why hes finding it difficult sometimes you just have to be a bit stronger for them than they can be for you.i dont know how many relationships hes had with guys but i can imagine how tough it can be.

he seems to still want you Ed he well sounds like me with the cant give you what you need hes feeling inadequate and not good enough and he thinks you deserve better. its text book relationship depression loving the other person but having a low opinion of yourself and your ability.

so talk , comfort, time thats all you can do with relationships because theres moments in all that are like this, thats not to say you drop wanting t o push things along but you will just need to support him as you try to it will be hard but the love of someone is worth it :grin:

what ever you decide to do Ed i hope it works for ya (*hug*)

4. EM68

I think for the most part its timing issue. He broke up with his ex 6 weeks before meeting me. They were together for 8 years. He does not have low self estime. He is into personal devleopment and is very sure of himself. I told him that after 10 months of being together and exclusive him not being able to call me his bf really bothers me. I know he still wants to be together but he realizes that our relationship is not going to grow. He has also have said a lot that if we do not become bf's ore partners he wants to remain friends and in each other's life but at a different level. I really feel like I'm the bad guy here but I need to do what I need to do. :tears:

5. Just Adam

you arent the bad guy Ed nobody is, its just relationships theyre difficult, i think probing more wont hurt though you got nothing to lose he says he cant give you what you need u say why he says cos of how he feels ask him why does he feel this way. communication is half the battle to a relationship, but i f you two do decide to call it a day try and remain friends Ed, but please get over feeling like the bad guy youve opened you heart to another person youve tried as much as anyone can. sometimes relationships dont work out but it will not be fora lack of you trying.

6. EM68

We talk. We have great communication between us. He just tells me that he is not ready to commit and its out of his comfort zone. I feel like I am the one who is only compromising to get to his comfort level. It just seems like I to make any suggestions he either pushes it off of tell me that he is not ready. I am at the point of my life where I finally figured out myself. I want to grow and I know that with him I can not.

#6 EM68, Mar 23, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  7. padre411

Gosh, Ed, this seems pretty manipulative on his part. To say one thing in the note and another thing when you tell him you want to end the dating aspect of your relationship is controlling. It is completely legitimate for you to want some sign from him that the two of you are moving in the same direction. He seems to want it both ways - to have a static, low-commitment relationship but to also have you committed to him. This relationship may well be worth sticking with but he owes you much clearer communication.

peace, Mike

8. Just Adam

then it seems you've reached the conclusion to your dilemma. its over. :frowning2:

i am really sorry but if your hearts tired of being the one who makes the sacrifices all the time and i dont blame you, i know how hard youve tried. i really am sorry for you :frowning2: if you ned any one to talk to i aint the best but im here for you Ed
    (*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)

(*hug*)

9. Jim1454

Exactly what I was thinking. He wants his cake but wants to eat it too. 10 months is a long time - and while he was fresh out of a long term relationship, if he hasn't sorted stuff out after 10 months, he isn't going to.

I know it's hard to start over, but you deserve better. And a better match for you is out there - I'm sure of it. Good luck. (*hug*)

10. EM68

I have felt this way also. He wants to date, be intimate and stuff but he can not call me his bf. He wants to figure things out but he can not give me things in the mean time.

11. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like he's defined the relationship to be precisely what he wants it to be. Which isn't sufficient for you. He's strung you along for awhile under the guise of "maybe I'll change", but I don't even know if he CARES to change. He's got the relationship he wants - why would he change? Frankly, it isn't fair for you to devote your life to him waiting for him to come around, especially when he seems to be indicating that he has no plans to do so. In which case, I do think it might be time to move on.

Lex

12. Just Adam

Ed i think you need more (*hug*)

13. EM68

I do. I have pretty much made my mind to end it and move on. :tears::tears:

14. Just Adam

aw ed i really am so sorry for you, but i know things will get better your a great guy and you really do deserve someone who can give you the same amount of emotional commitment as you obviously have to give.
    (*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)

15. EM68

He called me during his break and said he wanted to see me. I told him that I had to go to work. Part of it is the truth. I am not ready to see him. He told me don't close the door to the possibility of us being more and we could be great. All he says is stuff that is not concrete just maybes. I have felt in the back of my mind he is trying to steer or control our relationship in a certain way. Now I am sort of angry that I did not see it sooner.

16. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Try not to think too badly of him. It's human nature to want things exactly the way we want them, and I don't think he was actively attempting to make you unhappy - he just placed his own happiness too far in front of yours. If he tells you not to close the door to possibility, just tell him you don't feel you can wait any longer for something to potentially happen. You need somebody you CAN be with completely - not possibly sometime in the future, but now.

Lex

17. Just Adam

dont be angry Ed you love the guy hearts rule minds its life we cant see the worst in those we care about or if we do we fool ourselves into ignoring it.

but its a great quality ok its a stupid quality it gets ya hurt and gets ya in a mess but it shows how loving and caring you are and thats important :grin:

i say you meet up when you not got work and you tell him flat out youve bent over backwards for him and cant do it any more.
    (*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)(*hug*)

18. EM68

I said I would call him tonight. I think I am going to end it then. He lives 40 minutes away. I don't want him to drive that far after we broke up. Is that bad?

19. Just Adam

no its not bad Ed its just alot harder to see people when you break up with them. just remember Ed there is nothing he can say to hurt you no blame or put down you are a grown man looking for a partner and he wont step up. the guy has done long commitment before it shouldn't be that hard and if this isnt what he wants he just needs to be a man and tell you.

20. Sylver

Too many of us hold on to second best because we're too afraid to cast it aside and shoot for the very best. You deserve nothing but the very best, and that's not what he's giving you, and he's certainly not promising it down the road either. You've done all you can to accommodate him and give him the time to think it through and get himself together. Now it's time for you to look after #1.

So don't do it with any animosity towards him or guilt for doing something wrong. You've been very fair to him and he isn't being fair in return right now. That gives you the moral high ground to move forward and tuck this away as another of life's learning experiences on the path to something better.