1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

School/Financial advice?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Mar 24, 2010.

1. MusicIsLife

So last year I went into a music program at a really good school, for like becoming a recording engineer and stuff like that. It was my dream to become a live sound technician, but it all fell through when i was totally overwhelmed with the workload and I ended up dropping out.

Yesterday, i received an email from the school letting me know that there are spots available in the upcoming semester and asked me if I would be interested in trying again.

After thinking about it I replied with a yes.

Now I need to say that after i left the school I really, really missed it. Even though I did very badly in most of my classes, i just LOVED it there. I know that when I inform my mom that I'll be going back she'll probably flip out, because it's expensive, 4000$ per semester. It will be paid with loans, as neither of us can actually afford that kind of money, and its only 3 semesters long, then i get my diploma.

I'm determined to get it right this time and not fail, but im afraid of what to tell my mom about the money thing. She's mostly afraid I'll never be able to pay back all the loans. What should I say to her?

2. Jim1454

You say to her that you're an adult, and the money that you borrow (through some kind of student loan program presumably) will be your responsibility - not hers. That you appreciate her concern, and that you are also apprehensive about going that far in debt, but at the same time you want to pursue this. That it's important to you.

Then demonstrate with actions rather than just words how responsible you really are by working hard at school, getting good grades, and possibly working part time as well to earn a bit of income in the mean time.

Good luck. If you've got a dream - pursue it!

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Jim already pretty much mentioned what came to my mind, while reading through your post. Talk with her mom and let her know as to why this time it is going to be different and why you want to enroll in the programme again.

Once you start the term, you will have to demonstrate that yes you can do this and do it well. If you can enroll in the work-study programme on campus, which will give you a bit if income while allowing you to have enough time to do a good job at school.

I would encourage you to figure out as to why you did badly in the first place in the classes, and try to address the reasons for it.

Hope it goes well.